Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 05:27 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,736 times

Advertisements

Over the past few weeks I've seen so many threads by college grads that are finding the work world very disappointing from what they thought it would be. Unfortunately they are begining their career at a time of economic transition. I actually feel bad for them, I have "kids", 30 somethings, who chose the trades and they're doing OK. But how do we as parents guide them, the landscape has changed from our early work life. I think some of the problem is their lack of identity and direction, that's hard for a parent to instill, I don't know what the answer is. But in thinking of how to help them find meaning in their life I admire the tradition of the American Indians sending their children on a vision quest to realize their place in the scheme of life.

Wikipedia defines a Vision quest as: "In many Native American groups the vision quest is a turning point in life taken to find oneself and the intended spiritual and life direction. The vision quest is often used as a Rite of Passage, marking the transition between childhood and full acceptance into society as an adult. A person’s first vision quest is typically done during their transformative teenage years. When an older child is ready, he will go on a personal, spiritual quest alone in the wilderness, often in conjunction with a period of fasting.[1] This usually lasts for a number of days while the child is attuned to the spirit world.[1]"

When someone is struggling with how to face the challenges of the day to day routine, maybe its time to stop and take an inward look at how they interface with the world rather than how the world interfaces with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 06:22 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,600,459 times
Snowtired, while I admire many of the traditions of the Native Americans, I don't think this is the issue. If you look back at some of these threads, I think you'll find a common theme among them:

• I don't like what I'm doing
  • My work is boring
  • I feel I'm being taken advantage of
  • My job doesn't match what I imagined it would when I was in school
  • I feel disrespected

Let me preface my next statement by saying I believe most millennials are wonderful, creative, enthusiastic contributors. But there is a a large group in that generation that wants what they want when they want it. Instant gratification and feelings of self-entitlement.

When you start out in a job, the work is rote and boring. Of course that wasn't what they imagined when they were in school, they imagined they were star performers tearing it up. They didn't realize it would take years and years of routine work to get to that level, and they're disappointed because the work is boring and they don't like it. This comes from being raised by idiots who told them if they didn't like something they didn't have to do it. Or fixed things for them when they got in trouble so there would be lighter, or even no, consequences. They didn't have to wait for anything. This is why so we see so many threads asking "Did I get the job?" or "Does this look good for me?" It's not necessarily anxiety about landing a job, but an inability to have patience and wait. They were told they were special and everyone is a winner! They were fed a lot of b.s. by parents who didn't want to grow up themselves.

The millennials here that have their heads screwed on straight don't post things like this, but because there are a handful of m's who are struggling because of the reasons I already stated, and because they tend to post thread after thread of complaints, it seems like a very high number. The volume of their posts misleads us.

That's just my opinion, but something to consider.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:58 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times
This is not just a millennial problem.
Why Are 70% Of Employees Disengaged, And What Can You Do About It? - Forbes

70% of all workers are at the point where they don't give a crap about their jobs. They aren't motivated, they don't feel working harder will get them anywhere, they don't like nor trust their employers.

It extends to politics as well. as few as 1/3 vote in elections, polls after polls show they view their leaders with contempt and tune out politics completely.

All in all people are not happy. It seems our society is breaking down, that no matter how hard they work or how much effort they put forth they are bleeped and the only thing to look forward to is a further deterioration of their living standards.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:05 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,120,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
. I think some of the problem is their lack of identity and direction, that's hard for a parent to instill, .
No, it's really not.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:14 PM

123 posts, read 149,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Snowtired, while I admire many of the traditions of the Native Americans, I don't think this is the issue. If you look back at some of these threads, I think you'll find a common theme among them:

• I don't like what I'm doing
  • My work is boring
  • I feel I'm being taken advantage of
  • My job doesn't match what I imagined it would when I was in school
  • I feel disrespected

Let me preface my next statement by saying I believe most millennials are wonderful, creative, enthusiastic contributors. But there is a a large group in that generation that wants what they want when they want it. Instant gratification and feelings of self-entitlement.

When you start out in a job, the work is rote and boring. Of course that wasn't what they imagined when they were in school, they imagined they were star performers tearing it up. They didn't realize it would take years and years of routine work to get to that level, and they're disappointed because the work is boring and they don't like it. This comes from being raised by idiots who told them if they didn't like something they didn't have to do it. Or fixed things for them when they got in trouble so there would be lighter, or even no, consequences. They didn't have to wait for anything. This is why so we see so many threads asking "Did I get the job?" or "Does this look good for me?" It's not necessarily anxiety about landing a job, but an inability to have patience and wait. They were told they were special and everyone is a winner! They were fed a lot of b.s. by parents who didn't want to grow up themselves.

The millennials here that have their heads screwed on straight don't post things like this, but because there are a handful of m's who are struggling because of the reasons I already stated, and because they tend to post thread after thread of complaints, it seems like a very high number. The volume of their posts misleads us.

That's just my opinion, but something to consider.
People are starving for opportunity, and you are ripping people for it. I know tons of 20-30 somethings who are looking $50,000 in the hole before they even get started in the work force. Then they find out they are going to take a job making $30,000 or even less. $500 a month student loans, $600 rent, ect. Why do you think they are bitching?

They have been sold a bad bill of goods. They got took. Do you think that person staring that financial outlook in face is going to start a family anytime soon?

Old 01-17-2015, 07:19 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,271,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpike2 View Post
People are starving for opportunity, and you are ripping people for it. I know tons of 20-30 somethings who are looking $50,000 in the hole before they even get started in the work force. Then they find out they are going to take a job making $30,000 or even less. $500 a month student loans, $600 rent, ect. Why do you think they are bitching?

They have been sold a bad bill of goods. They got took. Do you think that person staring that financial outlook in face is going to start a family anytime soon?
Well, then they should have gone to a more reasonably priced school. If they got a degree that is worth that debt load, they should be fine. If they majored in Great American Writers, well, sometimes there are consequences for making stupid decisions.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:20 PM

894 posts, read 1,050,028 times
Working sucks, period. I don't know anyone who adores their job 24/7. I think Millenials are disillusioned because they've been given unrealistic expectations of the real world. The public education system is hell bent on having every kid go to college so they tout college degrees as a one-way ticket to easy street. So you have lots of kids going to universities that a) don't belong there and b) have no direction or end game in mind. They're just there to get that piece of paper. When they graduate they find their degree is either irrelevant in today's job market or they're one of a million people with a degree in their field. The end result is a generation of kids with mountains of student loan debt and nothing to show for it.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:21 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,862,607 times
I retired a few years ago, having spent my career in high tech in Silicon Valley. I'll be the first to admit that Silicon Valley is unlike anyplace else -- there is a tremendous sense of optimism, and millennials work very hard and achieve great things.

As a mentor, I've suggested the following mental exercise & mindset:

Imagine you're not an employee of the XYZ corporation. Instead, you are President & CEO of the "John Smith" Company (where "John Smith" is the name of the person to whom I am speaking). The XYZ corporation is your customer. Yeah, I know, you get a paycheck from the XYZ corporation, but put that aside - pretend XYZ corporation is your customer rather than your employer.

As long as you (John Smith) have a product (your expertise & labor) that your customer (XYZ) wants to buy, you'll continue to do business. You have to invest to make sure your product is up-to-date, and you have to delight your customer (XYZ) as every vendor should strive to do.

Every now and then, your customer (XYZ) might decide to change vendors (fire you). This might or might not have anything to do with you and your skills. And, every now and then, you might decide your current customer (XYZ) is a PITA and you decide to go find a new customer.

You are in control. It is up to you.

This mindset is quite liberating, and useful to many millennials I've mentored.

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 01-17-2015 at 07:48 PM..

Old 01-17-2015, 07:26 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,235,307 times
Maybe I am remembering things way too negatively, but back when I started out, most of my peers felt the same way. All of us thought 40 hours was an ungodly amount of time to work in a week, and, while we thought we knew everything, and did everything better than the "old farts" hanging on and blocking our careers, looking back now, I am embarrassed I (and my generation) thought that way.

I had an English degree, and struggled to find anything but commissioned sales (for which you didn't need a degree, but couldn't get an interview without one). My twenties had a lot of discontent as I struggled to support my family.

In my very early thirties, with a wife and 4 kids, I took a huge pay cut (from a somewhat low income level) to get into a true career track position. When I hit 40, the career was taking off, and things got better and better. 45-50 hours a week was the typical work week, and could hit 60 hours per week for projects coming due.

While I understand the frustration and angst of Milenials, I think it is more a stage (initial entry positions, or maybe a rung or two up), than a problem that will plague the generation for their entire working lives.

People that are motivated and have talent generally find a way to succeed over time, but over time (a decade or two) is not over a two or three year span.

Life is full of people who spent 15-20 years to become an "overnight success!"

Last edited by Tuck's Dad; 01-17-2015 at 07:34 PM..

Old 01-17-2015, 07:29 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,600,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpike2 View Post

Point out where in my list, I talk about people looking for jobs. Exactly where do I include them?

I have two kids in the 20-30 age group, so I am aware of the cost of education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment