Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 06:06 PM

96 posts, read 167,582 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Ok, so here's the situation. I started a new job with a huge corporation (about 30k employees) on 1/19 along with three other people on my team. We started classroom training that will end in 3 weeks.

Just today, I was reading the employee handbook and I noticed an alarming first paragraph that stated all new, re-hired, and employees moving into new roles will be on a 6 month probation period! I almost fell to the floor.

Not at any time was this disclosed during my interviews, and was not mentioned in my offer letter. I've never even heard of such a large company doing something like this. I brought this to the attention of the other 3 ppl in my training class and they were as shocked as I was, with the exception of 1 girl.....

Now, this particular girl in my training class has been with the company 5 years and was just promoted to our role. She knows a lot of people in management as well. Well, she told us not to worry. That that is just something the co.'s legal dept. makes them put in the employee handbook, and most managers override it per their discretion.

But I'm still concerned. Should I be worried? Of course, I intend on doing my job well, I just don't like the idea of a "PP" and had I known about it, I would have never left my previous employer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 06:25 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
When I worked for Verizon it was the same way, you were on probation for 6 months, miss any days or come in late 3 times and you were gone. There pretty much was no excuse for missing a day, can't get to work because of a snowstorm? You should have stayed at a hotel the night before. Sick? Tough, get you butt to work, if we agree your sick we'll send you home. I was told by others employees that worked there, even after the 6 months they closely monitored you for another 3 months or so to make sure you didn't take advantage right after the probation period was over, but at least then you had some union protection. Oh and the training was for 6 weeks.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:27 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
It's really common, don't worry.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:56 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Happens all the time. I would be more surprised if there was not a probation period.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:00 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,691,740 times
Is there a big difference between probation period and non-probation period? If they want you gone, they'll get rid of you with ease regardless of PP right?

Old 01-27-2015, 07:04 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
I've never worked at a place that doesn't have a probationary period.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:07 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
In most states, that's true, Boosane.

Cathy, I'd be more concerned that you were alarmed and then alarmed three other people in training, in front of someone who has been with the company for a while.

But back to the question, no, it's not unusual. Are you taking a job that's different than those you've had in the past?

Old 01-27-2015, 07:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I've never worked at a place that doesn't have a probationary period.
Same here, new, or promotion, there is always a 6 month probation.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:58 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy908 View Post
Hi all,

Ok, so here's the situation. I started a new job with a huge corporation (about 30k employees) on 1/19 along with three other people on my team. We started classroom training that will end in 3 weeks.

Just today, I was reading the employee handbook and I noticed an alarming first paragraph that stated all new, re-hired, and employees moving into new roles will be on a 6 month probation period! I almost fell to the floor.

Not at any time was this disclosed during my interviews, and was not mentioned in my offer letter. I've never even heard of such a large company doing something like this. I brought this to the attention of the other 3 ppl in my training class and they were as shocked as I was, with the exception of 1 girl.....

Now, this particular girl in my training class has been with the company 5 years and was just promoted to our role. She knows a lot of people in management as well. Well, she told us not to worry. That that is just something the co.'s legal dept. makes them put in the employee handbook, and most managers override it per their discretion.

But I'm still concerned. Should I be worried? Of course, I intend on doing my job well, I just don't like the idea of a "PP" and had I known about it, I would have never left my previous employer
Yeah that tends to happen, the interviewer not revealing everything during the interview. One job I had I was never informed that I had to take a test before probation ended to become permanent and was like..

So just do your best OP and focus on completing the PP so you can be official in the month of August

Old 01-27-2015, 08:35 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
Is there a big difference between probation period and non-probation period? If they want you gone, they'll get rid of you with ease regardless of PP right?
It depends. If the job is unionized you are probably not covered by union protections during the probationary period, so you would not be able to grieve dismissal.

Most large companies seem to offer a bit more protection for employees after probation. In my experience a supervising manager can simply let you go during probation without any substantial amount of justification or documentation. After probation the manager generally has to work through the disciplinary process of warning and performance plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment