Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 11:14 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times

Advertisements

I can see them making you pay back relocation costs and a signing bonus, but paying back a salary, if it specifically says that in a contract, sounds illegal or at least bizarre.

First of all, the company can't make you do anything, that's for the courts to decide.

Secondly, (I AM NOT A LAWYER) this would appear to be a civil matter in which case you wouldn't be made to pay 3 weeks worth of salary, but rather, pay the amount of economic damages your employer incurred as a result of your breach of contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 11:14 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinnle Corra View Post
You have to do it if it's in an agreement you sign. However, any employer that requires a former employee to pay back their salary/relocation costs is cheap and not a quality company to work for.
How is it cheap to spend 20k to relocate someone then have them quit after 3 months and want the 20k back?

If you don't want the money back I'd question your business model and your willingness to throw away cash.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:20 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,773,178 times
They can't retroactively decrease your pay. If your salary was $2k a month and you quit after two months, making you pay back $1500 would certainly reduce your monthly pay for that second month you worked. Also, a contract can't obligate you to something that is illegal. I'm not sure how they'd go about recovering three weeks' pay from you. It's too much to simply withhold the final paycheck (which, again, they can't legally do), and too little to fool with a lawsuit.

It would be different if they were making you pay back a signing bonus or relocation expenses, since those are not part of your salary and are not subject to the same rules.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:34 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,634,207 times
Call your State Labor Dept and ask them if this is legal.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:53 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
I doubt it. No matter what you signed you can't be made to pay back wages/salary earned for work. If it is a bonus of some kind then yes. Wages/salary no. Unless it is a 1099 position for completion of a set project that they prepaid you for.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:54 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,215,148 times
It might be a good idea to get another job lined up first, lol

Old 01-27-2015, 11:59 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinnle Corra View Post
You have to do it if it's in an agreement you sign. However, any employer that requires a former employee to pay back their salary/relocation costs is cheap and not a quality company to work for.
Including a clause about relocation costs is standard and is smart business. Paying relocation fees is an investment in someone. Why should a company foot the bill for a person to move when that was their only goal and they never intended on staying with the company long term? You just know some people would do that if they could.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:47 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
If you signed it then probably. I know my job has a clause that I pay back relocation fees at 100% if I quit within a year or am fired for cause.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
If the contract says it, then yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Agreed, you signed the contract, be prepared to pay.
I'm not so sure about that. Barring something like relocation, signing bonus, or tuition reimbursement, this really doesn't pass the smell test. I can put anything I want in a contract, but that doesn't make it enforceable.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:59 PM

384 posts, read 508,117 times
Pay back a benefit - ok
Pay back salary - probably not legal

Consult an attorney, but also remember that people can put anything in a contract - doesn't necessarily make it legal or enforceable. Yes, even if you agree to it. It has to be legal first, just tossing it in there, doesn't make it enforceable.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:23 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
Agreed you can put in the contract that if you quit within one year you must go to Mexico and sell a kidney on the black market and give the proceeds to the company. Even if signed that contract is not enforcible. Neither are most non-competes. Employees are free to quit in the USA and cannot have recruitment costs, most training costs or past wages deducted from their final paycheck or that company will be painfully retrained by the DOL or courts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment