Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 10:39 PM

908 posts, read 961,856 times

Advertisements

jeez, do people even read before posting? half the people who posted here are going on about relocation fees and sign on bonuses when the OP made it clear that they are asking for 3 weeks of his REGULAR SALARY back if he quits before 3 months. reading comprehension is your friend people!

OP, i'm in the camp that that sounds totally illegal and ridiculous. people quit jobs every day. companies don't get to demand a refund of 3 weeks worth of work already done!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 12:14 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,936,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus77 View Post
There are companies that have a clause to reimburse all the training expenses from the year before an employee quit, because they feel that they were making an investment and when the employee did not planned to stay. I don't know how much they can enforce this and if this they will only with really expensive courses and certifications. In the OP case, I bet they think that the first three weeks are almost like training where the employee is only learning his duties. Anyway three months is a really short time to hold on and avoid that headache.
Yep, this is somewhat common in my industry. Training is very expensive, and it isn't unusual for places to require you to sign a contract that stipulates you pay back a prorated amount of your training costs if you leave within a couple yrs. They do enforce it and have sued successfully those who thought they'd not have to pay.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:33 AM

256 posts, read 463,031 times
It really depends your case. Yes, employers can add whatever they want in their offer letter but cannot force it all the times. I only heard about paying back the signing or relocating bonus which is very common if you leave less than a year. However, it seems like you did not receive it.

I believe that if they provide you a special training then they can also claim the certain amount of money back if you leave less than certain year. For example, in my industry certain training program has 3 years of working agreement or you pay back the training fee + other training expenses such as hotel, food and car rental.

If they did not provide you a training and you keep working as a regular full time employee from day 1 then they cannot make you pay back of your 3 weeks salary. You can get more information from an attorney or even can sue them. Probably, Judge will be in your side because nobody can be tricky and make people work free for them. It really depends on your case and story.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:36 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,784,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
If you signed it then probably. I know my job has a clause that I pay back relocation fees at 100% if I quit within a year or am fired for cause.
Salary is different than relocation fees. I would suspect the law would not uphold "paying back salary" because employment law basically states that you must be paid for any hours you work. If you "give" this back to the employer, then basically you are "working for free" even though it is not a volunteer job, and this probably opens up a can of worms for the employer. So, I would say if you quit, don't bother paying it back and see what happens. If they take you to court, get a labor law attorney to represent you. I'm betting they can't enforce it in court.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:13 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,784,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Yep, this is somewhat common in my industry. Training is very expensive, and it isn't unusual for places to require you to sign a contract that stipulates you pay back a prorated amount of your training costs if you leave within a couple yrs. They do enforce it and have sued successfully those who thought they'd not have to pay.
Training is different than salary. Salary is compensation for work performed, and since the law requires that you are paid for work you do (in non-volunteer work), it's not possible for a company to require that you "give back your salary".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment