Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 09:05 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I agree. You won't win any points for trying to be a hero and coming to work sick. And they certainly can't fire you for calling in sick
Depends on the policy but yes it is certainly possible to be fired for calling in sick for even ONE DAY, especially on Thanksgiving or Black Friday in retail. The total sick days in a year depend on call in policies which is up to your individual company to decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 09:15 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
I don't take time off for a cold unless I literally can't talk.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:16 AM

406 posts, read 559,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Like I said, if I am sick, I can avoid other employees. I have my own office with it's own entrance from outside. Or, I can walk through the project without direct contact with others.

The only exception I would consider is flu. The vomiting flu, which I haven't had since I can remember.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the exception would be if I had to work in customer service and closely/directly with people. I think WAY too many people take advantage of calling in sick.
Fair enough that your work environment comes into play. I have a few thousand people in my building where nearly everyone, even managers, directors, and VPs work in cubicles. I've certainly experienced co-workers hacking up gunk non-stop and blowing their nose on the other side of the cubicle wall from me and man, that's just a gross feeling being in such close proximity.

I'm sure he felt he was well enough to be at work...

Old 02-09-2015, 09:55 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Maybe 1 day if it's a simple cold with no temp. Some colds are horrible ones, for those probably 2-3 days.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:10 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Maybe 1 day if it's a simple cold with no temp. Some colds are horrible ones, for those probably 2-3 days.
If I ever was to get a temperature, I am really sick. Colds really don't do that to me. I never get the flu either. I mainly stay home if I can't talk because most jobs requires you to talk.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:49 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
I usually just try to work through colds if they aren't too bad. But, I got sick over the holidays and was sick for around 2 sicks...not really sick the entire time, but not 100%. I took off 2 days. I couldn't go more than a minute or two without blowing my nose and/or coughing and by coughing I mean coughing uncontrollably to the point where I was gagging. I didn't have a fever, but I felt exhausted and miserable. If I had really forced myself I guess I could have made it to work, but I would have been disgusted having to listen to someone else in my state cough and blow their nose all day like I was.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:04 PM

212 posts, read 335,628 times
One man's "full blown cold" is another mans "sniffles". Employers generally react based on history. If you are that guy who calls in each month whenever he sneezes, expect little consideration. On the other hand, if you are the guy who has had flawless attendance for a while and develops influenza, most managers will gladly work through it with them.

Knowing the real difference between "not feeling too well" and being "too sick to work" is the key.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:21 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
There are places that give occurrence points if you are out for any reason, including illness. One place I worked such as this, if you got five occurrence points per year you were fired.
Absurd.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:43 PM

43 posts, read 78,869 times
Usually no more than 2 days. A few weeks ago, I stayed out one which was not enough. I was sicker than I thought and ended up going to the doctor multiple times and ended up staying out 2 days the following week.
I am very lucky though I see. My job gives "unlimited" sick days as long as you aren't abusive. I knew that was good, but after seeing some of the posts I am damn lucky.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:02 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times
1-2 days is reasonable. If it takes more than that to get over a cold, then it's probably time to see a doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment