Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 08:09 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmartbottom View Post
I don't get the rudeness. I have never in my life been rude to any employee of any store anywhere at any time for any reason.

It makes no sense.
I said to a rude lady in Macy's..."Hey, it's not her fault!"
Boy, was the clerk happy I stood up for her.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:22 PM

285 posts, read 534,353 times
I guess it depends on the environment and the type of customers. I worked retail as a teen and I absolutely loved it, I got excited whenever a customer came into the store and genuinely had fun helping them pick out items. I hated having to stand all day, but I truly loved that job and it's still my favorite to this day. It was a fairly upscale mall though, so that might have affected the customer base? I don't even know if that makes a difference, but I can imagine a retail cashier job would be a bit different from a cashier at a grocery store or some place else. I'm fairly extroverted and enjoy talking to/helping people... there's also a knack to being so sickeningly helpful and sweet that no one can be rude to you (lol). I joke all the time that I feel like I'm held hostage in my office, and if retail paid anything close to what I make now, I would probably still work at a mall by choice (actually though).

Old 02-07-2015, 08:32 PM

491 posts, read 471,928 times
And this whole "the customers pay your salary" crap is old and tired.

No. Customers come into the store and buy things THEY need. They aren't giving the store money for my benefit. They're getting stuff for themselves, the store makes money, and the store pays us.

Customers don't do much for me, with a few exceptions (both of which I could have gotten in trouble for, I had customers buy me candy and drinks).

I think people who criticize me for how I feel have never worked in retail for any real length of time and thus have no idea what it's like.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:51 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:

No. Customers come into the store and buy things THEY need. They aren't giving the store money for my benefit. They're getting stuff for themselves, the store makes money, and the store pays us.

Customers don't do much for me, with a few exceptions (both of which I could have gotten in trouble for, I had customers buy me candy and drinks).

I think people who criticize me for how I feel have never worked in retail for any real length of time and thus have no idea what it's like.
4 years in retail here.

You just need a different job, and an economics lesson. They do pay your salary, since your job would not exist if they stopped coming.

It's fine to have bad days. But if you "absolutely hate" customers, you need a new line of work. It's NOT normal.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:58 PM

847 posts, read 1,351,707 times
I worked fast food for along time and then again at Lowe's when I went back to college and yes, it's very normal to hate customers. Many of them are jerks, especially Lowe's customers that think everyone with a red vest is a home improvement expert.

With that said, I was always very good at providing excellent customer service because I fill it's important to do the best job I can no matter what the job it. Besides, without customers, there would be no job.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:01 PM

847 posts, read 1,351,707 times
Quote:

If no customers came in, how long do you think your job would last? That's why it's your job to ensure you are delivering excellent customer service no matter how rude or how big of a jerk they are.

I've been in your shoes. It sucks so be nice to someone who is treating you like crap.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:03 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,500,322 times
Normal. It gets to you after awhile. I worked in fast food from age 16-22 including 2 years as manager, and it was godawful for the pay. Even as manager, working 50 hours a week, I was only getting paid 9.25 an hour...and i had to fight for that. They offered me 8.50 first, I laughed and said i don't think so, will need at least 9.25 or i'm out of here...and they accepted that, but it was still way too low.

People can be really shty. They get so mad over something as insignificant as having to wait 3 minutes for "fresh" fries :/ 3 minutes people...the universe is 13.5 billions years old, I think you can wait 3 minutes.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
4 years in retail here.

You just need a different job, and an economics lesson. They do pay your salary, since your job would not exist if they stopped coming.

It's fine to have bad days. But if you "absolutely hate" customers, you need a new line of work. It's NOT normal.
No. The company pays my salary. End of story. The customers buy stuff that they want to buy. Literally speaking, the company I work for pays me. That's how it works for me. Customers of the company I work for do not pay me.

"Absolutely hate" is putting it strongly. There are even some customers I really enjoy being around. But mostly I don't like these people because the way they act is so distasteful you can't help but not like them. And that has nothing to do with me.

I agree I need a different job. But they aren't exactly plentiful. Otherwise I wouldn't be doing this.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:11 PM
mzd

419 posts, read 887,036 times
Quote:
The company pays my salary.
You don't understand economics. The company would go under, if not for its customers. So the customers are paying your salary, in an indirect way.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzd View Post
You don't understand economics. The company would go under, if not for its customers. So the customers are paying your salary, in an indirect way.
Thank you, but I prefer literal definitions and direct associations.

For myself, I have never thought I was "paying someone's salary" when I went into various stores and shopped. The idea is beyond absurd to me. I thought I was going in and buying stuff I wanted...how silly of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment