Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 03:39 PM

22,504 posts, read 12,049,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Definitely varies by industry. We can't hire people fast enough, and there's a shortage of people available for the positions open. But, it's because the companies refuse to raise wages for this skilled profession to a level that would draw people in. The education required is extremely expensive, and it takes a very long time to make a decent income doing this. College students are opting for other fields. It's biting the companies in the arse. They're being too short-sighted.
These companies know what they're doing. They're deliberately advertising those jobs at low wages so that they can later say "We need more H1-Bs. After all, we can't fill these jobs." All the while they know they can fill those jobs by offering a better wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 05:42 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,716,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It's not just millennials are clueless if you go by man on the street responses. Anyone remember Obamacare vs. Affordable Care Act on Jimmy Kimmel. Just about everyone didn't want Obamacare but most wanted the ACA despite them being the same exact thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8gA8lHApG0

The other thing is any time you have a man on the street response, you may get several who know things but if that don't fit what you are looking for, you wont include it. Take the Obamacare vs. ACA video I posted for example, I am sure you found at least three people not shown who knew it was the same thing and didn't sway on the issue depending on which name was used.
If you watched the whole video, it was not edited to eliminate the smart people. Those millennials were not selected for stupidity and ignorance, they selected themselves by where they chose to hang out on Veterans Day.

Yes, you can find inferior members of any generation, not just the millennials. Every generation has people who fail miserably because they are just naturally inferior. Just look at that 40% of boomers who are arriving at retirement with no assets. They didn't get there by being go-getters, they got there by sitting in front of a TV and drinking beer when they should have been thinking up something more productive to do.

My point is that sending 70% of high school graduates to college is absurd. About half of them are not smart enough to absorb, retain and utilize higher education. Like every generation, they will just be sheep wandering around looking for a place to die. There are plenty of motivated and intelligent millennials who will be successful in life. They will find a way. Like every generation, they will not be a majority.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:42 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,950,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
If you watched the whole video, it was not edited to eliminate the smart people. Those millennials were not selected for stupidity and ignorance, they selected themselves by where they chose to hang out on Veterans Day.
Are you sure it wasn't edited to remove smart ones? So many videos of the man on the street asking random people questions like this are that it does send my spider-sense an alert to not believe that it true that they were not dropping off the smart ones that didn't fit their narrative.

Quote:
Yes, you can find inferior members of any generation, not just the millennials. Every generation has people who fail miserably because they are just naturally inferior. Just look at that 40% of boomers who are arriving at retirement with no assets. They didn't get there by being go-getters, they got there by sitting in front of a TV and drinking beer when they should have been thinking up something more productive to do.
The 40% of boomers with no retirement assets is not always about failing, it''s about bad luck. Now yes some bad luck was brought upon themselves but if they had to tap into 401Ks to keep their mortgages from going under while they couldn't find work because no one hired until June 2009 or took a much lower paying job to somewhat stay afloat, I have to say they likely didn't bring it on themselves and they are not inferior, the system just failed them. It's like getting the refurbish all your hotels and houses card in Monopoly or rolling three triples in Monopoly or continually landing on chutes in Chutes and Ladders.

Quote:
My point is that sending 70% of high school graduates to college is absurd. About half of them are not smart enough to absorb, retain and utilize higher education. Like every generation, they will just be sheep wandering around looking for a place to die. There are plenty of motivated and intelligent millennials who will be successful in life. They will find a way. Like every generation, they will not be a majority.
I agree that the number of students going to college is nuts and that the way we teach high school don't prepare students for college or even the real world. From stories on here and with my parents it did to an extent for years. Now it's nothing, not even a joke course. There's no guide maps and even if children are willing to learn to be self-reliant, many parents are either not there to help them or don't care to help them. We needed to refocus schooling in 2005 when I was a senior of my high school and guess what, most schools HAVEN'T and it is 10 years later. That's at least half of a generation we as a society failed and hope that they can figure out life as they go without a road map.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:49 AM

35,131 posts, read 31,412,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Are you sure it wasn't edited to remove smart ones? So many videos of the man on the street asking random people questions like this are that it does send my spider-sense an alert to not believe that it true that they were not dropping off the smart ones that didn't fit their narrative.

The 40% of boomers with no retirement assets is not always about failing, it''s about bad luck. Now yes some bad luck was brought upon themselves but if they had to tap into 401Ks to keep their mortgages from going under while they couldn't find work because no one hired until June 2009 or took a much lower paying job to somewhat stay afloat, I have to say they likely didn't bring it on themselves and they are not inferior, the system just failed them. It's like getting the refurbish all your hotels and houses card in Monopoly or rolling three triples in Monopoly or continually landing on chutes in Chutes and Ladders.

I agree that the number of students going to college is nuts and that the way we teach high school don't prepare students for college or even the real world. From stories on here and with my parents it did to an extent for years. Now it's nothing, not even a joke course. There's no guide maps and even if children are willing to learn to be self-reliant, many parents are either not there to help them or don't care to help them. We needed to refocus schooling in 2005 when I was a senior of my high school and guess what, most schools HAVEN'T and it is 10 years later. That's at least half of a generation we as a society failed and hope that they can figure out life as they go without a road map.

I don't know anyone as stupid as those people in the videos, and I don't necessarily associate with learned intellectuals. These questions are common sense - I think you'd almost have to be coached to answer them so poorly.

I know a lot of boomers in this situation (including my own parents) that either cashed out their 401K as it was going down (a double hit of declining value plus penalties, fees, or taxes). Most of these people would likely have been better off going bankrupt, as at least their retirement savings would be protected, and they would be given a clean slate to start over budgeting within their reduced incomes.

I totally concur schools have done literally or nothing to amend obviously failed educational processes.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:55 AM

7,932 posts, read 7,839,246 times
"I agree that the number of students going to college is nuts and that the way we teach high school don't prepare students for college or even the real world. From stories on here and with my parents it did to an extent for years. Now it's nothing, not even a joke course. There's no guide maps and even if children are willing to learn to be self-reliant, many parents are either not there to help them or don't care to help them. We needed to refocus schooling in 2005 when I was a senior of my high school and guess what, most schools HAVEN'T and it is 10 years later. That's at least half of a generation we as a society failed and hope that they can figure out life as they go without a road map."

I don't see specifically has something has failed. The fact of the matter is there are direct correlations with higher education, age and higher net worth.

"My point is that sending 70% of high school graduates to college is absurd. About half of them are not smart enough to absorb, retain and utilize higher education. Like every generation, they will just be sheep wandering around looking for a place to die. There are plenty of motivated and intelligent millennials who will be successful in life. They will find a way. Like every generation, they will not be a majority."

Perhaps but in lieu of that what specifically would some do? Most employers want a degree of some sort. Even manufactures want a two year degree or various certifications.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:59 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,933,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
"I agree that the number of students going to college is nuts and that the way we teach high school don't prepare students for college or even the real world. From stories on here and with my parents it did to an extent for years. Now it's nothing, not even a joke course. There's no guide maps and even if children are willing to learn to be self-reliant, many parents are either not there to help them or don't care to help them. We needed to refocus schooling in 2005 when I was a senior of my high school and guess what, most schools HAVEN'T and it is 10 years later. That's at least half of a generation we as a society failed and hope that they can figure out life as they go without a road map."

I don't see specifically has something has failed. The fact of the matter is there are direct correlations with higher education, age and higher net worth.

"My point is that sending 70% of high school graduates to college is absurd. About half of them are not smart enough to absorb, retain and utilize higher education. Like every generation, they will just be sheep wandering around looking for a place to die. There are plenty of motivated and intelligent millennials who will be successful in life. They will find a way. Like every generation, they will not be a majority."

Perhaps but in lieu of that what specifically would some do? Most employers want a degree of some sort. Even manufactures want a two year degree or various certifications.
The good paying jobs that one could get with just a high school diploma are long gone. Some sort of college, even it's community college is very important.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:08 AM

35,131 posts, read 31,412,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
This has historically been the case, but it may not hold true going forward.

If you take someone in a low COL area who has made $30,000-$40,000 average from 18-28, and did not attend school, that person has no student loan debt, and could have presumably invested some of that salary, leading to a positive net worth.

Even if someone has a relatively modest amount of student loan debt ($20-$40k), that's a huge hole to climb out of early on in life. Aside from a few high earning degree programs, the average bachelor's degree holder's wages are not that much more substantial than someone with a HS only education early on.

I graduated in 2010 with a degree in economics (not the best, but not the worst) and could never make more than $30k in Tennessee. Due to the bad economy, instead of being able to get professional employment, I was stuck in call centers for nearly four years. I could have done that without going to college. It was only last year the degree essentially paid for itself when I got a job making $55k, and I've had to move out of state twice to find this job. I only graduated with $8k debt and that was a real stumbling block when you're making under $30k. I can't imagine how tough it would have been had I been unemployed or had more debt.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:56 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,933,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post

If you take someone in a low COL area who has made $30,000-$40,000 average from 18-28, and did not attend school, that person has no student loan debt, and could have presumably invested some of that salary, leading to a positive net worth.

Even if someone has a relatively modest amount of student loan debt ($20-$40k), that's a huge hole to climb out of early on in life. Aside from a few high earning degree programs, the average bachelor's degree holder's wages are not that much more substantial than someone with a HS only education early on.

I graduated in 2010 with a degree in economics (not the best, but not the worst) and could never make more than $30k in Tennessee. Due to the bad economy, instead of being able to get professional employment, I was stuck in call centers for nearly four years. I could have done that without going to college. It was only last year the degree essentially paid for itself when I got a job making $55k, and I've had to move out of state twice to find this job. I only graduated with $8k debt and that was a real stumbling block when you're making under $30k. I can't imagine how tough it would have been had I been unemployed or had more debt.

That's an important point. A person can still get jobs with just a high school education but eventually will hit a ceiling where they cannot advance into further better paying positions without a college ticket.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:51 AM

7,932 posts, read 7,839,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post

But at the same point if you work in the public or non profit sectors then the debt is dissolved over a period of ten years. Then add in the number of employers that would pay for someone to attend higher ed and it starts to add up.

I'm not saying everyone should attend higher ed or a trade school but eventually once someone gets past their 20's it starts to be a bit noticeable. Sometimes you do have to go back so to speak. I know of a women that spent 30 years working for the airlines and is now in social work. If she didn't have her undergraduate degree she probably wouldn't have been able to become a social worker.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:02 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,184,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Definitely varies by industry. We can't hire people fast enough, and there's a shortage of people available for the positions open. But, it's because the companies refuse to raise wages for this skilled profession to a level that would draw people in. The education required is extremely expensive, and it takes a very long time to make a decent income doing this. College students are opting for other fields. It's biting the companies in the arse. They're being too short-sighted.
There is a shortage of college grads in order to support the economy. In the past we were able to support the economy on labor. Today, we're a knowledge based society and if there aren't enough college grads to support the nation, we have to import them. Sadly, that's been the focus of this nation. Importing labor rather than producing qualified knowledge workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment