Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 02:30 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times

Advertisements

what does average mean when there are no numbers? what does average mean when we are comparing people? how do we assign numbers to people?

context is important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 02:54 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
1. brocco: I don't know what average means. If I missed something, let me know please.
2. move4ward: I've known her since birth. You don't. But you're better than a person you don't know a fraction about. Very smart analysis.

Yes, you can make your way through life without a degree. I almost did that. What I'll never know is how much could I have made with a degree and I'll never know that. I transferred and lost credits. But with the help of my company, I completed it a little before I retired and it was worthless but that didn't matter. I wasn't lacking in making money or finding a job. It's really difficult to understand what people in 2015 make. You cannot do a comparison to someone who graduated six years ago because of inflation. So, your $90k now may be the equivalent to $60k six years ago. I'm not figuring out the formula used to do this. With her degree and GPA and the university she attended, you may stand on the shoulders of giants but they may be Lilliputian giants.
I am just a regular guy. I had to learn from people that were already in a career doing well. My career mentors in the class had been working for decades or near retirement. A college text book is not going have the wisdom of people in the working world. It's great for teaching calculus, but a college text is going to tell you to fix this and that and look here for a job.

They may be Lilliputian giants, but I loved their advice. One of them was a former exec at Wells Fargo. Their guidance was invaluable. I am always seeking out knowledge from their experience.

It was vital to find mentors to get their feedback. A book won't give you feedback on your interview or resume. I am forever grateful to my kind and wise mentors for their advice and tearing apart my weaknesses.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:54 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
how do we assign numbers to people?
I call #1!

Old 02-13-2015, 03:13 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
That is typical for some not to post a source, which by the way means they don't have one. Also typical how they will ignore posts like yours all because they cannot produce said source.
A source is not necessary for a simple arithmetic operation. In the case of human populations, the average is very close to the median, which is defined as the mid-point, half above and half below.

There are certainly other factors that influence success in life. Poor women come close to ideal social mobility, half rising and half falling, while men who are born poor are much more likely to stay that way. In all cases, picking the right parents gives you a leg up.

http://www.brookings.edu/research/ar...FJ/figure2.jpg

Old 02-13-2015, 03:41 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I call #1!
first to get pink slipped?

Old 02-13-2015, 04:00 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
what does average mean when there are no numbers? what does average mean when we are comparing people? how do we assign numbers to people?

context is important.
I thought I explained it well enough the last time. I'll again and bold the one that is more related to people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Here's your definition according to Merriam-Webster

Quote:
average
noun av·er·age \ˈa-v(ə-)rij\
: a number that is calculated by adding quantities together and then dividing the total by the number of quantities

: a level that is typical of a group, class, or series : a middle point between extremes
No numbers truly needed to determine average, just performance. If you rated the Star Wars movies on a scale of awful, very bad, bad, somewhat bad, neither good or bad, somewhat good, good, very good, great, at least three if not four (Star Wars/A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith) would rank somewhere between very good and great and thus swaying the average that way. The other two (The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones) were not as good and many would say Phantom Menace is at best somewhat good and Clones is at best good. Because the other four were very good to great, Clones let alone Menace are below average. No numbers used. For people, just make the scale used for performance measures.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:01 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:

context is important.
What it means is that everybody gets a trophy for showing up, and it's never anyone's fault if they fail.

The economy is doing great, and success is there for the taking, unless they spend their time making up excuses.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:13 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Fish View Post
yep...some people don't understand the difference between median and average

maybe an example would help

Say you have these group of number

The median is 55 and the average is 41.6....only 40% are below the average
If you said mean instead of average I would agree. However you said average which median is a form of. The mean, median and mode are all forms of getting an average from a given data set. Mean is the traditional average with quantities divided by the number of the quantities. Median is the quantity that is in the middle of the data. Mode is the most occurring data.

Say this is your test scores in a 10 person class:
  1. 48
  2. 65
  3. 68
  4. 70
  5. 72
  6. 72
  7. 80
  8. 90
  9. 98
  10. 100

Mean average is 76.3.
Median average is 73.
Modial average is 72.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:17 PM

685 posts, read 721,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I am just a regular guy. I had to learn from people that were already in a career doing well. My career mentors in the class had been working for decades or near retirement. A college text book is not going have the wisdom of people in the working world. It's great for teaching calculus, but a college text is going to tell you to fix this and that and look here for a job.

They may be Lilliputian giants, but I loved their advice. One of them was a former exec at Wells Fargo. Their guidance was invaluable. I am always seeking out knowledge from their experience.

It was vital to find mentors to get their feedback. A book won't give you feedback on your interview or resume. I am forever grateful to my kind and wise mentors for their advice and tearing apart my weaknesses.
Hey, move4ward: Hopefully, throughout our brief existence, we all learn from mentors. Whether it's my learning from you or visa versa, or elementary - high school + college teachers, our parents (crucial to me even though a couple were a bit wacky), and more. When I refer to college, it's not just about the books but I do remember crying when someone stole my copy of Cather's, "The Citadel," and I was stuck writing a paper on Sinclair Lewis', "Babbitt." I only remember a few anyway but I remember what my instructors said and did more than almost all books. I'm not knocking that at all. I had managers do some amazing things for me. I gained confidence (not too much to be arrogant and please don't read anything else into that) and had the excitement to learn. We're in synch here.

I started below the bottom after my first round of four years and worked my way up and fairly quickly as I had a knack for learning software application and working on machines I never heard of. I didn't learn this in college but I probably did learn how to survive after college. You picked this ability up another way. That's cool. I have a sister about your age who also managed to get through without college and is doing well. She's also going back now to finalize/complete her degree.

I had to get "a degree," because each job posting required one. I could not apply in my field without one. So, off I went one last time.

The bottom line is in my field (and so many others), we were being wiped out and displaced and that practice continues today. It's really good that you've gotten as far as say you have by the age of 40.

Take care.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:41 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,079,872 times
Look out! There's an unstoppable freight train of call center and low-paying retail jobs coming our way!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment