Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 09:53 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,294,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Would you agree with those sentiments?
I would agree that it happens. But disagree that it's a common theme.

Quote:
The old saying, the "cream rises to the top" should be replaced "the snakes in suits rise to the top".
See above.

Quote:
Its a great breeding ground for Sociopathic or psychopathic tendencies, but can you be a good person and rise the ranks in corporate america?
You evidently do not believe so. And I would disagree.

Quote:
It seems the passive, nice, good hearted people are always the ones getting left behind
Sorry you feel that way. And perhaps your experience supports that 100%. But mine does not. Sure, there are always going to be situations that you don't agree with. But that's a fact of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 01:47 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,444,619 times
Yes corporate America is pretty the scum of the earth, learn and develop your skills and leave. Too much political games and favoritism towards people who should have retired or be fired.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:03 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,823,402 times
I wouldn't paint a broad brush to be frank. Recently I started looking at companies where I live and if they had some charitible branches. Sherwin Williams actually has a very good, quite impressive set of social policies.
http://careers.sherwin-williams.com/...Res%5B1%5D.pdf

Environmentalism can be seen as marketing same with labor trends. In a era of increasing openness and social media it just makes sense to do things as such.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:04 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
Some token charity and fake awards and PR campaigns don't necessarily make for an ethical company. Pepsi would deluge us everyday with fake awards stating they were America's most ethical company and they are probably the source of every stereotype of rotten US companies with permatemps, lay-offs, several layers of managers screwing over workers they've probably never met etc. I have never seen before or since such a demoralizing place outside of academia.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:12 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,772,397 times
Quote:
It seems the passive, nice, good hearted people are always the ones getting left behind
Passive is the key flaw. Being aggressive and assertive is extremely important in the vast majority of jobs. Being passive is not a positive character trait like the others you listed.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:28 PM

592 posts, read 2,244,769 times
I have worked for 12 different companies over the last 30 years. I would say that I have only worked for a handful of moral ,ethical, honest managers in all of that time. Most of them did not fit in and ended up moving to other companies in hopes of finding one that was moral. I have worked for a company where cocaine was shipped and distributed in railcars with full knowlege of management. I have worked for a company that let 3 top managers "resign" cuz they got caught stealing upwards of 4 million bucks to outfit thier hunting camps and homes.I have seen lower level managers lie to upper level managers just to get their yearly bonuses. I have had vice presidents tell me to look for work elsewhere because I was bringing up to many safety issues. Even though they spent millions on their safety propaganda campaigns.
I have shaken hands with Edwards Deming towards the end of his life. He spent his whole life dealing with US companies and managers who cared only for themselves. If you ever find a company that truly is moral let me know , I would sure love to work with them.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:54 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Passive is the key flaw. Being aggressive and assertive is extremely important in the vast majority of jobs. Being passive is not a positive character trait like the others you listed.
Pretty much this. I never understood this until recent times and being passive certainly does you no favors. I always thought being passive was okay, because people will just "see" how good of a worker I was, or how hard I was trying, etc. Doesn't work like that, for some odd reason.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:19 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,203,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm beginning to think there are a group of people who lack the skills and personality to get jobs in decent companies, so they think all companies are like the cesspools of inadequacy that will employ them.
Or they have the skills and years of experience but due to the damage these corporate criminals have done to their resumes they get some interviews but cannot get any further because hr/hm believes corporate entities never lie and the applicant always does. Especially when the applicant has a recommendation from a past, decent, and honest, employer.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:21 AM

42 posts, read 50,064 times
Most companies value aggressive individuals.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:25 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,739,979 times
People that try to climb that ladder fit this to the T. But, not everyone is trying to climb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment