Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 07:37 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,770,291 times

Advertisements

This is a case where you should have talked to your coworker there was no reason to go to your boss. It's simple to go and talk to your coworker and discuss it. The coworker could have honestly felt they were helping you and not realizing they were upsetting you.

MPowering gave great advice how to talk to the coworker for future tasks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 07:39 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,740,683 times
Maybe this is just me, but if this person's workload is large and yours is smaller - maybe that is why they are pawning some tasks off to you and you can view it more as an opportunity than an annoyance... and when promotion time comes, being perceived as a team player and going that extra mile to help out others really does help you particularly if you are both working for the same boss.

There have been times when I was busy and our mutual supervisor told me to give tasks to another teammate. Didn't mean I was any better than this teammate, just that at the time I had a lot more on my plate.

If your supervisor is CC'ed on it, I think my reply-all response would be, "Sure thing, Rhonda! Whatever you need. I am always here to help you if I can since we're all one team." You will then notice a change in how Rhonda perceives you for being nice about it and your supervisor would be appreciative of you going that extra mile to help out colleagues.

Just my $0.02. I don't think everything is always a competition and don't see the need to be hostile when you're part of the same team.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:35 AM

326 posts, read 201,525 times
Maybe the supervisor just aske be informed as to the plans?

Old 02-19-2015, 10:59 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,680,725 times
We work our own contracts, but we are backups to specific other contracts.

Sometimes if our workload is lighter than the other person we back up, we may get asked by that person to handle one of their tasks or I may ask someone to handle one of mine. We have a general understanding that if we are available, we are encouraged to pitch in but that we are not responsible for putting someone else's tasks above our own. If we are too busy and the task needs to be done asap, our manager will decide the order of importance on all of our tasks and assign it to whomever's task ranks last.

This seems to work pretty well. We don't go through our manager when we ask a co-worker to do a task.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:18 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,230,949 times
Intra department issues, the managing supervisor should be on cc.
Inter department issues, both supervisors should be on cc.
This should really settle things.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:19 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,219,139 times
Thanks everyone, again, for your input.

Typically, we don't necessarily know what each others workload is. There was no way for my coworker to know if I was overwhelmed with work or not.

When I first read the email, I reacted poorly and felt that my co-worker was giving me instructions. That was one reason why I did not respond immediately. I read the email again this morning and I think I over-reacted a little. I still feel as though this co-worker could have come to me at my desk and just talked about this. There was no need to send a "directive" via email and copy our supervisor. Unless I was out of the office, which I wasn't.

In the end, after talking with another co-worker and getting his advice, I decided to not respond at all. I know what needs to be done and I will complete whatever I can (along with balancing my other workload).

It's really not worth getting into a power struggle or anything like that. I'm looking for another job anyway and with any luck, this won't be an issue for much longer.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:24 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,680,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Thanks everyone, again, for your input.

Typically, we don't necessarily know what each others workload is. There was no way for my coworker to know if I was overwhelmed with work or not.

When I first read the email, I reacted poorly and felt that my co-worker was giving me instructions. That was one reason why I did not respond immediately. I read the email again this morning and I think I over-reacted a little. I still feel as though this co-worker could have come to me at my desk and just talked about this. There was no need to send a "directive" via email and copy our supervisor. Unless I was out of the office, which I wasn't.

In the end, after talking with another co-worker and getting his advice, I decided to not respond at all. I know what needs to be done and I will complete whatever I can (along with balancing my other workload).

It's really not worth getting into a power struggle or anything like that. I'm looking for another job anyway and with any luck, this won't be an issue for much longer.
Good for you! If many other people would do this there would be a lot less conflict.

I think the co-worker may have been doing this to ask for your help, but let the supervisor know they were asking for it. You may find that just responding and saying you will do your best, but you have some other tasks that have to get done first is all your co-worker needs. They may just be assuming that your workload is lighter than theirs because they don't know.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:08 PM

853 posts, read 4,041,848 times
I had a co-worker like that. Now she's my boss and she's worse. I like the advice MPowering gave you on page 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment