Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 10:12 AM

74 posts, read 133,805 times

Advertisements

I am 46 years old, recently divorced with no children. I have worked in an office setting for 23 years as an administrative assistant. First 20 years at the same job, then for 2 years (during problems with my marriage) I fumbled.... working PT at several jobs. I have a FT office job now for the last 10 months. When I took this job I needed a FT job and it just about fell into my lap. Close to home and nice people but my interview went way too quickly and I just didn't ask questions about what my duties were. I simply needed the work. I thought it would grow on me and maybe I haven't given it enough time but I really don't like the industry it's in and the work I do. I live in a rural area and it's a small business - not corporate- and the pay is low....$2.50 lower than what I was making at my 20 year job.

I simply believe that I am tired of the office atmosphere. I want to try something different. Which leads me to wanting to go back to school but I am at a loss. I have no degree (some college)...... just work experience. I want to use the skills I've accumulated over the years but not necessarily sitting behind a computer all day. I am open to some computer work and paperwork but I would love something a little more physical. I am in decent shape, no health problems and like to move. I am not looking for a high-paying corporate job. Something around $13-$15/hr would be great and I'm hoping my experience can get me to that place.

I don't have to worry about a mortgage or living expenses right now. I have a decent savings however going to school FT and not working is a little scary. And, as I've heard many times, a degree doesn't mean I'll have employment after school.

I know several have posted before regarding "reinventing yourself" however their circumstances were different than mine. I am hoping someone can give me some ideas based on my life situation.

Any ideas are very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 10:25 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
I'm not sure I would pursue a 4 yr degree if I were in your place. I would focus more on maybe being trade towards a certification in something. Maybe something in the health field...phlebotomy or surgery tech or something of that sort.

Best of luck

Old 02-23-2015, 01:02 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,594 times
2 year RN program?

Old 02-23-2015, 01:56 PM

42 posts, read 59,950 times
For individuals over 40 looking to make a career change they have to take a few things into consideration.

If you go into the wrong field that has a lot of age discrimination then it will be harder to get a job at over 40.

You would probably not want to spend four years getting a bachelors degree because by the time you graduate
you would be 50 and it would be even harder to find a job with age discrimination.

One field that seems to be good for career changers, especially over 40 ones, is the healthcare field.

As the poster above mentioned you could possibly do a 2 year RN degree and come out making good money.
The one thing about RN is in certain areas of the country there is not a shortage so you would have to
check your area and see how the demand is. I know that in certain areas of Florida and Texas they
are begging for nurses. In some cities in those areas you can get the Sunday newspaper and turn to
the job classifieds and there will be pages of openings. One town that I saw there Sunday paper had
427 ads for lvn's or rn's.

So in some areas like California or New York there is no shortage of nurses and they are fighting for
the jobs but in other areas there are shortages. The statistics show that currently the average
age of nurses is 47. So it is a good profession for older people that might be worried about
age discrimination.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:14 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slambam17 View Post
I am 46 years old, recently divorced with no children.
23 years as an administrative assistant.

I live in a rural area
I simply believe that I am tired of the office atmosphere.
I want to try something different.

Any ideas are very much appreciated!
Move. Start over.

Get into a BIG city or somewhere small that you WANT to be in.
Find a job. Make some friends. See what other/better opportunities are available then.
One of these MIGHT be school ...but don't start there.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:37 PM

Thank you for the replies.

I wasn't looking for a 4 yr degree. I realize with working that would take me longer than 4 yrs. More like a 2 yr.

An RN is out of the question. I am not cut out for that. Never have been interested in the medical field.

And finally, not willing to move. I love where I live. I am however, willing to travel a little farther than I do now for work.

So based on all that, I'm **** out of luck I guess.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:46 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
You're in a rural area that probably doesn't list a ton of new jobs, so I would look at all the job listings in your area to see if something appeals to you. We could make suggestions, but that may mean you overlook something you might never have considered. And it's possible you won't even need to return to school. If you like learning, you can take classes that interest you without the burden of tuition that comes with a two year degree.

Good luck!

Old 02-23-2015, 06:00 PM

743 posts, read 832,309 times
So you don't like office jobs, but don't want to do actual manual labor? Not sure there are many jobs you'd be qualified for outside of that... flight attendant maybe?

Old 02-23-2015, 06:01 PM

715 posts, read 1,073,812 times
Why not look at being a real estate agent's assistant or even being a Realtor yourself? You have the administrative skills and probably the organizational skills. If you have the people skills and know the area that you want to stay in, it may not hurt to give it a shot. If you are near a college town, there can be more active business there.

Also, maybe you can offer to run errands for others or assist in teaching a class or work at the local library. Turning hobbies into dollars can be another idea - selling crafts, art, jewelry as a side business can take the edge off of the administrative work.

Just tossing out ideas. You really haven't stated what your interests are, so I can't be sure if any of these are even viable.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
So you don't like office jobs, but don't want to do actual manual labor? Not sure there are many jobs you'd be qualified for outside of that... flight attendant maybe?
I never said I wouldn't do manual labor. As a matter of fact I would be all for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment