Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 05:25 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,906,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
This is where you are required to use your brain.
Actually, I'm seeing a therapist. Happy now?

On the other hand, do you suppose if tried to do a Walter White, I would be praised for using my brain and actually making money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 06:54 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,635,165 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya
Easy. They know that if all else fails they can:

Move back in with mom and dad
Stay at a homeless shelter
Commit Suicide

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Thanks...darn near made me choke on my coffee....

I cannot be the only person who found these posts shockingly ignorant.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:56 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,483,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
The trick is to not live on minimum wage forever. Less than 3% of America's workforce ACTUALLY makes minimum wage, despite what the liberal media wants you to believe, and half of those are either high schoolers, retired people just looking for something to do, or people who have a spouse that makes far more. To think there are just millions trying to raise a family on such wages is silly, but that's what they want you to believe.

And if you are making minimum wage....ask for more. I guarantee your employer is making far more off of you working than what you're making. Just ask for more. And any place of employment gives automatic raises at intervals. Just stick around long enough and do your job without being an idiot or ticking someone off.

If you live and work in a market with a surplus of cheap labor, employers don't have to pay more. I've been in a few workplaces where raises are nonexistent.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:04 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,483,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
True, and I certainly didn't regress, BUT:

ANYONE can get out of ANY situation IF they want to, there are all kinds of programs to do so, more so for them in the ghetto than the suburbanite kid who gets into drugs and is a "good kid" who would "give you the shirt off his back" who gets into trouble.

There are plenty of kids who have walked 10+ miles, cleaned up, changed in a gas station and gone to work in an upscale McDonalds or something for months on end to "better themselves" and "not let anyone know where they came form.

Here where I live the city kids/folks/ghetto people come HERE to live to get OUT for a better life. How? By SAVING PENNIES FOR THE RELOCATION.

??? ??? ???

What programs? After student loan payment and rent, I have ~$258 per month to spend on everything else. I make too much to qualify for food stamps. What programs am I not seeing?

Old 03-05-2015, 08:36 PM

366 posts, read 411,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
True, and I certainly didn't regress, BUT:

ANYONE can get out of ANY situation IF they want to, there are all kinds of programs to do so, more so for them in the ghetto than the suburbanite kid who gets into drugs and is a "good kid" who would "give you the shirt off his back" who gets into trouble.

There are plenty of kids who have walked 10+ miles, cleaned up, changed in a gas station and gone to work in an upscale McDonalds or something for months on end to "better themselves" and "not let anyone know where they came form.

Here where I live the city kids/folks/ghetto people come HERE to live to get OUT for a better life. How? By SAVING PENNIES FOR THE RELOCATION.

ANYONE can learn to use PUNCTUATION correctly IF they want to.

But sometimes it's just easier for them to keep their head in their butt and complain about poor people.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:14 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,481,303 times
It seems relative. Some folks couldn't image something like having to cook their own food everyday, opting to eat out every other day, but others manage to do so. Expenses are relative, and sometimes, being adaptable plays a larger part then the actual finances.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:56 AM

24,130 posts, read 32,518,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I cannot be the only person who found these posts shockingly ignorant.

No you are not. Those posts actually make me ill.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:24 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,928,808 times
When I worked minimum wage I could get section 8, food stamps that were more than enough for me for a month, and cash assistance, medicaid, etc. It's not as a bad as people think. But of course this was in a low cost of living area.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:04 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,104,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
Not true. I was denied unemployment the one and only time I applied for it (seasonal job ended) and was denied because a year and a half ago I quit a job to take another job. Go figure.
The seasonal thing can happen, the second one by law is not supposed to disqualify you. Sounds like you got a retard low level worker with a mandate to cut expenses. In some states they did this by denying everyone on the first submission and only looking at the cases that were appealed.

As for sleeping on minimum wage, you do it by being bone weary and you hope the section 8 kids don't start screaming their heads off.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:00 PM

6 posts, read 7,660 times
My wife works making minimum wage right now, as is her first job, and she had no prior experience.
I right now cannot work (am from a different country and am waiting for my working permit) .
Things were hard, especially on the beginning (as we struggled to find a place to live), but we push through it, and are managing just fine now.
We live with roommates, buy only food that is on sale or discounted, and make meals out of everything.
I'm in charge of meals, house, budget and dealing with any problems that arrives.
We could only find a place out of town, before we walk to find work everywhere, and she walk to work, when we got family members to let us stay in temporary until we found a job and a place to rent.
Since the only place we found to rent was far and it would take hours to walk, I came with the solution of buying a moped with the money we saved while we didn't had to pay rent.
We are still living paycheck to paycheck, as the little money we saved went towards fixing the moped, which had to be fixed 4 times, and winter gear.
We did all this without any government help (as getting help could implicate with my paperwork) , and little outside help (those who did help us, kept pushing us to leave).
We have been doing all on our own now, in the place we rent, without any help from anyone for 5 month now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment