Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 08:32 PM

532 posts, read 959,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattE View Post
If I had agreed to take a new job that I was offered while still employed, is it really necessary to give a two weeks notice? What is the good and bad that comes from not remaining the two weeks? Sure it is bad etiquette to do so I understand that part but I don't see why two weeks is needed.
We just had an employee quit, no reason, no notice, just quit. She a) can never use the company for a reference as she is now not eligible for rehire and b) can't use the company or her experience there on her resume.

She might have felt she put one over on us, but she will do more harm to herself than the company. We are a nationally recognized billion$+ company -- I think we'll be ok

Always better to leave on good terms and give 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 08:39 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion4mb View Post
We just had an employee quit, no reason, no notice, just quit. She a) can never use the company for a reference as she is now not eligible for rehire and b) can't use the company or her experience there on her resume.

She might have felt she put one over on us, but she will do more harm to herself than the company. We are a nationally recognized billion$+ company -- I think we'll be ok

Unless you don't want to use your employer for a reference or put them on your resume and you can answer the question of ...can we contact your last employer as well as why are you not working....sure, go for it.

Always better to leave on good terms and give 2 weeks.
B-b-but, according to the 'experts' on this forum, employers are 'neeever' allowed to say anything negative about a former employee, only that the person worked there and employment dates.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:40 PM

607 posts, read 978,713 times
Quote:
If I had agreed to take a new job that I was offered while still employed, is it really necessary to give a two weeks notice? What is the good and bad that comes from not remaining the two weeks? Sure it is bad etiquette to do so I understand that part but I don't see why two weeks is needed.
As you get older in life you realize there just isn't any reason to not to put in the 2 weeks even if you hate the guts of everyone in the office. You never know what the future is going to bring so having some dumb negative thing from years ago just because you didn't put in a two week notice could come back to prevent something good from happening for you.

Just put in the two weeks and move on with life. The company you work for will be fine without you and the company you will work for isn't going to fold just because you will not be there for 10 business days.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:35 PM

165 posts, read 169,957 times
Quote:
It is not needed. But it probably depends on how much you value your soon to be previous job and the ex-higher-ups.

I went ahead and put in two weeks at my recent place of employment simply out of "courtesy". I couldn't care less about an engagement of arson upon the proverbial "bridge" (let that mothaf*cker burn!!!), it's not a job worth keeping and given that Georgia is an "at-will" state, I find it hilarious (and hypocritical) that they take pleasure in canning people at any time of the shift while being mystified over the revolving door of employees.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:12 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion4mb View Post

I call this B.S.!

The court rulings and now the new laws being passed (based on the court rulings) that protect employers from lawsuits is rooted in a balanced statement. Employers are mostly free to provide any negative comment so long as they also provide the positive. To provided a negative reference just because the employee exercised their At Will Employment right would open the company to a legitimate lawsuit. This is something that every HR management company and HR legal resources have been warning companies about. If the employee was an excellent worker and the only ding was not giving 2 weeks notice, you had better be providing a truthful and balance reference not one sided and bias just because the company is having a hissy fit over the employee dishing out what the company probably has done many times.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:32 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Yeah... more so of a courtesy. Unless you're replacing a MW job, or servers, 2 weeks will hardly be enough to find a suitable replacement when finding a good candidate may require months (post the job, network, interview, interview again, work out starting date, preparing new employee packages). Perhaps wrap things up with what you're doing though. And I agree that it's not fair how some places can lay you off on the same day, or only give you a few more days without notice.

I've been in office jobs where one manager was so stressed and over his head that he texted an employee that if he doesn't come in tomorrow, then he's never coming back. We all understood. At his age (about mid 50s), no amount of health insurance would be able to undo the damage being done to him.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:06 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
What I am going to do when I leave my job is tell my current employer Ill give them a few days to wrap up a loose project or two, but tell my future employer I need to give two weeks notice "because it the right thing to do" Future employer will like hearing this, past employer, who cares? I will get some decompress/vaca time to start a new situation, fresh.
They will have me replaced by someone at a much lower salary before I even make it back to my house, so who cares?
It's a different world than it was 30 years ago. Like floppy disks, 2 weeks notice is obsolete in business.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:51 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
B-b-but, according to the 'experts' on this forum, employers are 'neeever' allowed to say anything negative about a former employee, only that the person worked there and employment dates.
You'd be surprised how easy it is to get around. An employer can certainly be honest about actual proven and documented negatives but even information which might be deemed "illegal" to pass on is easily done once you know the code terms and phrases used by many seasoned employers which, to anyone listening in, would seem totally innocuous.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:12 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You'd be surprised how easy it is to get around. An employer can certainly be honest about actual proven and documented negatives but even information which might be deemed "illegal" to pass on is easily done once you know the code terms and phrases used by many seasoned employers which, to anyone listening in, would seem totally innocuous.

This. Reading and evaluating references isn't about what the reference said. It is about what they don't say, and how they say what they did say to you.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:25 AM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
That's the point. Do you want to burn bridges? Are you planning on keeping in touch with former co-workers?

On the other hand, are you in Sales? If so, then management will show you the door the minute you give notice and they'll [Phillips-head] you out of any commissions you have coming.

Last edited by jtab4994; 03-05-2015 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: Edit: Changed "screw" to "Phillips-head".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment