Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 10:25 PM

455 posts, read 1,499,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsengle View Post
Do you have a bachelor's?
Yea, a B.S. in Software Engineering, however my grades weren't the greatest...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 12:34 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,368,837 times
I worked an 80+ hour week Once in my life, on somebody's payroll. I used to work 50 hours a week but now work 40. Whether your are rich, poor, or in the middle the best advice in the world is to always live below your means. I.E. if you qualify for a $300k house buy a $200k house. The trend now seems to have every new toy, best car, house in an elite neighborhood, designer clothing, etc... and then kill yourself to pay for it, stress included. I don't think that that is what we are here for. Sure, we have to work or do investments to live but at some point you have to figure out what you really need as opposed to what you really want. I'm pretty simple and low maintenence so a lot of the the things I love are basically "free"... birds at the feeder, roadtrips around this beautiful country (semi-free), breakfast on the weekends, etc. I don't really think that a quality lifestyle has to be that expensive... by the way, I'm wearing a Ralph Lauren t-shirt and Nikes right now... but I don't need new ones every two weeks... I compare myself to no one and couldn't care less what the Jones' are doing right now.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:45 PM

947 posts, read 3,572,572 times
I could never work 80 hours a week

When I did morning drive for a 100,000 Watt FM Country station, I was up at 4:30am, in the studio by 5:30am, on the air 6am to 10am and home around 3pm 5 days a week.

I would usually get stuck running the board for a live sporting event at least once a week... I was salaried.

I know that doesn't seem like alot of work..... cmpared to the rest of you, but take into account what I was being paid if you averaged my hours (Someone at McDonald's made more then I did) and the fact my co-workers/boss never appreciated me.. it was physically and mentally draining.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:29 PM

982 posts, read 3,307,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
Yea, a B.S. in Software Engineering, however my grades weren't the greatest...
Hey - you still graduated, and that's a good thing!

Even if you've been a developer for a year or two, you are seriously underpaid. Sassberto is right - my DH is a senior software engineer (C++), and his salary jumps have been pretty well in-line with his assessment. Have you considered moving to a more 'tech-heavy' city? Would you be able to?

Old 01-13-2008, 06:33 PM

267 posts, read 1,361,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBroadcaster2008 View Post
I could never work 80 hours a week

When I did morning drive for a 100,000 Watt FM Country station, I was up at 4:30am, in the studio by 5:30am, on the air 6am to 10am and home around 3pm 5 days a week.

I would usually get stuck running the board for a live sporting event at least once a week... I was salaried.

I know that doesn't seem like alot of work..... cmpared to the rest of you, but take into account what I was being paid if you averaged my hours (Someone at McDonald's made more then I did) and the fact my co-workers/boss never appreciated me.. it was physically and mentally draining.
When you worked in radio did your station go by a "morals code"?

Reason I ask I knew a few over the years who worked in radio ( and television as well ) and all of them told me that before they were allowed to utter a single word on the air they had to sign a very specific contract going over what they could and could not do even when they are off the air and at home. All to protect the radio/TV station's "image".

I was talking an old classmate of mine who took a part-time job as a reporter for a local TV station. Her contract stated that not only she could not be seen buying alcohol in public but she could not have any personal ads online either.

To me that is a bit much.

Seems like those who work in broadcasting do lose certain freedoms, like those who make the choice in working in politics. And the long hours are just part of it.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:43 PM

947 posts, read 3,572,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobwv View Post
When you worked in radio did your station go by a "morals code"?

Reason I ask I knew a few over the years who worked in radio ( and television as well ) and all of them told me that before they were allowed to utter a single word on the air they had to sign a very specific contract going over what they could and could not do even when they are off the air and at home. All to protect the radio/TV station's "image".

I was talking an old classmate of mine who took a part-time job as a reporter for a local TV station. Her contract stated that not only she could not be seen buying alcohol in public but she could not have any personal ads online either.

To me that is a bit much.

Seems like those who work in broadcasting do lose certain freedoms, like those who make the choice in working in politics. And the long hours are just part of it.
I've worked for a few stations, a news/info station... a classic country station..an oldies station... a hot country station.. and a contemporary christian music station and I've never had to sign any moral code contract or anything.

Hell, I had several alcoholic drinks with the secretary, our business manager along the morning host and the sales guy from out sister station at a fair's beer tent after a live remote broadcast. Mind you, it was like the 3x a year I ever took a sip of alochol. I have and continue to have personal ads in a few places... and I keep them private for certain reasons. It's none of my boss' business if I decide to have an adult alcoholic beverage or whom I wish to date..... and if they ever raise issue with my personal ads online, I could sue for discrimination.

That being said, I've never had any restrictions placed upon me with regards to "morals". What is done on my personal time is just that.. my personal time.

I would have a serious issue with a company wanting me to sign one.

That being said, I did get reprimanded...twice in a week.. by our General Sales Manager, once for using the word "brain fart" in describing forgetting a holiday and then a few days later for saying the phrase "pissed off" when describing what you'd be if you got a ticket on that said holiday for drunk driving.

The hours ARE LONG.. but I LOVE what I do. I love being part of a community, making a listener smile.. or shaking their hands. I was in the front passengers seat of a station vehicle in the middle of a parade waving to the people on the sidealks, and we had a big stand up sign in the bed of the truck showing who we were... and two people, at the same time yelled out.. "WE LOVE YOUR COUNTRY!" (We played country music)... I looked over to my co-worker, who was driving and said, "That.. right there.. makes everything I do totally worthwhile"

It all evens out. I've been doing radio for 4 years (as of October 15th)... have worked in Mississippi, Florida, North Dakota, New Hampshire and now South Caorlina (in that order).. and I'm from Connecticut. .so I've seen and met alot of different people and learned alot. You take the good with the bad.

I'm the boss here where I work now.. so, uh.. no one to tell me what not to do..

Old 01-13-2008, 08:28 PM

654 posts, read 3,456,977 times
I would never work that many hours in a week, I don't care how much debt I was in. Its only money and life is not worth losing your life over money and debt. Plus your health would be adversely affected because your body isn't getting the proper rest that it needs. And the more you do that the more irritable people can be because of that fact. Not worth it. I would keep the day job and look for ways to get something that pays more.

I cannot see myself devoting that kind of time for someone else, especially when they dont pay what they really should while the bosses makes the big bucks. That's just MO.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:52 PM

455 posts, read 1,499,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsengle View Post
Hey - you still graduated, and that's a good thing!

Even if you've been a developer for a year or two, you are seriously underpaid. Sassberto is right - my DH is a senior software engineer (C++), and his salary jumps have been pretty well in-line with his assessment. Have you considered moving to a more 'tech-heavy' city? Would you be able to?
I'd definitely like to move to a more 'tech-heavy' city in the future, but at the moment I have to wait at least until my g/f graduates from cosmetology school (she already has a B.S. in Business Marketing, and is looking to open her own salon/spa). Hopefully I'll find out if the Kodak job has a better salary later this week...

Quote:
I would never work that many hours in a week, I don't care how much debt I was in. Its only money and life is not worth losing your life over money and debt. Plus your health would be adversely affected because your body isn't getting the proper rest that it needs. And the more you do that the more irritable people can be because of that fact. Not worth it. I would keep the day job and look for ways to get something that pays more.

I cannot see myself devoting that kind of time for someone else, especially when they dont pay what they really should while the bosses makes the big bucks. That's just MO.
Working a lot of hours isn't really new to me, when I was in college I had 3 summer jobs that totaled around 80 hours. My primary job at that point was also very physically intensive and much more draining (distribution center for a grocery chain, we calculated out the average amount we lifted on a daily basis to be 3-4 TONS by HAND) for about 50 hours/week, starting at 4:30am.

Last edited by RowingMunkeyCU; 01-13-2008 at 09:00 PM..

Old 01-14-2008, 12:02 AM

982 posts, read 3,307,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
I'd definitely like to move to a more 'tech-heavy' city in the future, but at the moment I have to wait at least until my g/f graduates from cosmetology school (she already has a B.S. in Business Marketing, and is looking to open her own salon/spa). Hopefully I'll find out if the Kodak job has a better salary later this week...
Well, I hope the Kodak job works out. You two sound like a pair of busy bees!
I forgot to mention earlier that, if you're wanting to get some experience with C#/.NET, you might look into the online courses offered my MS. It isn't experience really, but the coursework is decent and it might help your resume a little. DH did it to get a little more exposure to .NET, but he didn't finish the course. Sorry if this is a little repetitive - just thought I'd throw that in.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:08 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,650 times
The past three years my hubby has worked 72 hour weeks for 2-3 months out of the year. Its forced overtime (public safety issue, you can't say no or your in serious trouble). It was really hard on him mentally and physically. His job requires alot of on your feet, responding to incidents, and walking in the hot sun. His days off were basically spent sleeping trying to recuperate. At the time he worked nights and then worked the morning shift too. He left at 9:15 pm and got home the next day around 2:45. Then he had to shower and sleep until 9 pm. It was not ideal for a family man.

If you have a family or spouse, that many hours may be a real strain on your relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment