Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 11:48 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times

Advertisements

It is because of the winter. The city drops salt everywhere, and it corrodes the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 11:56 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times
Maybe the Coast Guard, but really, why even bother?

The cowards are the ones who go off and kill people at their government's request, without ever stopping to think about whether it's justified or moral.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:35 AM

207 posts, read 226,595 times
Any support job really (aim for a long AIT). And become a hot/cold weather casualty too while in AIT. And get your driver license revoked (so you don't have to drive).

I don't know, anyone got more ideas how to make it safer??

Old 03-22-2015, 02:03 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,575 times
Go combat arms, face your fear. We all have fear, it's how you deal with it.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:09 AM

207 posts, read 226,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
Go combat arms, face your fear. We all have fear, it's how you deal with it.
That's some stupid logic right there.

If I went combat arms, I would be booted out. I'm not a coward though, but I know my weaknesses and talents. We're not all the same, and nor do we have to be.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:22 AM

1,431 posts, read 913,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'm learning that the Army really has no real job outside of combat operations as best I can tell. That is, they exist to be in theatre. Like the Army base in Hawaii is called Schofield Barracks. Took me a while to realize it's just a place to stage the troops.
You must've never been to Schofield. You realize that they had a full on air assault brigade, right? I think you're getting it confused with somewhere like Camp Atterbury or something.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:41 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Schofield Barracks is no different than any other Army base. It has a different kind of name due to historical reasons, but there's nothing special about being called 'barracks' compared to being a 'fort'.

If you think it only exists to stage troops, well, so does Ft. Hood, Ft. Bragg, Ft. Carson, etc.-but all those places are not only places to 'stage', but full communities with facilities for training, maintaining, and peacetime functions for the Soldiers there all the time, as well as family facilities.

Source: spent about 20% of my active duty career there.
Oh right! (and thanks for your service!) Before I knew anything about the Army I had been a Marine, Air Force, was working for the Navy and knew NOTHING about the Army. I mean absolutely nothing. I was on Oahu and was puzzled about Schofield. (best pool on the island and a great 4th of July celebration! Also only commissary I could bring my other half in cuz he's not a dependent). Now I work for the Army and I'm catching on. I'm also realizing the Army is full of respectable professionals, not like what we were taught in the Marines.

So, I'm slow. Slow enough to give the OP any credit at all but I see some of you know him better than to be so foolish. And his follow-up question proves his intent. Maybe he should pursue a career as a benny boy in the PI.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:46 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,417,337 times
Try the Girl Scouts. You get to wear a uniform and everything.
And, you can quit at anytime if it gets too rough for you.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:50 AM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Oh right! (and thanks for your service!) Before I knew anything about the Army I had been a Marine, Air Force, was working for the Navy and knew NOTHING about the Army. I mean absolutely nothing. I was on Oahu and was puzzled about Schofield. (best pool on the island and a great 4th of July celebration! Also only commissary I could bring my other half in cuz he's not a dependent). Now I work for the Army and I'm catching on. I'm also realizing the Army is full of respectable professionals, not like what we were taught in the Marines.

So, I'm slow. Slow enough to give the OP any credit at all but I see some of you know him better than to be so foolish. And his follow-up question proves his intent. Maybe he should pursue a career as a benny boy in the PI.

Yeah, you were a Marine. (I laughed so hard my teeth almost fell out, by the way) Excuse me, you're now an inactive Marine, you'll always be one.

He won't even know what that means.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:03 AM

311 posts, read 478,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Can you join the Air Force and be in a role where you never fly a plane?

The previous advice was helpful thanks to all.
FYI: A VERY small percentage of commissioned officers graduating from the USAFA / ROTC are actually selected to "fly a plane" in the USAF. You don't become an officer, BTW, by heading down to your local recruitment center and signing up.

If you don't want to fly a plane in the AF, I'm sure you wont be forced
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment