Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 04:53 PM

265 posts, read 347,602 times

Advertisements

Hello folks,

So I have a question here, I received a job offer after the interview processing, reference check and all that from a a good Company (State Funded) as an IT Help Desk in Boston MA, and I was wondering if they perform a Background Check during or after the offer!!

The reason I am asking is that I have a DUI from 2011 that was "Continued Without A Finding" in Massachusetts, and I was told that it won't show up in "CORI" (Criminal Offender Record Information). I am going to sign some papers on Monday for the job offer, so I am guessing it is for Drug test and the Criminal Check.

If you have any questions or concerns for me please let me know!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 05:59 PM

23,515 posts, read 23,995,040 times
Every firm/company is different. Did they inform you that a background check will be done, at any point in the interview process?

Usually, if one is done, it will be before an offer is presented.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
We do them after the offer is accepted, and the offer is contingent upon a satisfactory background check.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:20 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We do them after the offer is accepted, and the offer is contingent upon a satisfactory background check.
I never understood why the background check was done after the job offer because it has the employee sitting at the desk reading for 2 weeks until he/she receives their email and password. Why not complete the background check during the reference process so that the newly hired person would not be bored out of their mind reading all day long.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
So do you think that my CWOFed DUI will show up?

Old 04-02-2015, 11:13 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,627,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I never understood why the background check was done after the job offer because it has the employee sitting at the desk reading for 2 weeks until he/she receives their email and password. Why not complete the background check during the reference process so that the newly hired person would not be bored out of their mind reading all day long.
I concur, why not just make it part of the process if it's a strong candidate, and offer the job after all checks have passed.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:43 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
No, they would be sitting at home, they cannot set foot on the premises until after the background check. Ours do not normally take two weeks, more like 3-5 days. Background checks cost money, it's a waste of money to do them without a commitment, the person could decline the offer.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:30 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
No, they would be sitting at home, they cannot set foot on the premises until after the background check. Ours do not normally take two weeks, more like 3-5 days. Background checks cost money, it's a waste of money to do them without a commitment, the person could decline the offer.
Which is common practice. The poster has had this explained to him many times over but apparently still doesn't understand it. I recall this only happened to him in his last (present) job for a city government agency and their wheels tend to chug along very slowly compared to the private sector.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Which is common practice. The poster has had this explained to him many times over but apparently still doesn't understand it. I recall this only happened to him in his last (present) job for a city government agency and their wheels tend to chug along very slowly compared to the private sector.
Relax!! I already got hired and my first day was yesterday!
Thank you for your reply!

Old 04-08-2015, 10:53 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,275,519 times
Quote:

I work for the government - our background checks are expensive - we check for EVERYTHING. To keep costs down, we only check backgrounds after an offer has been accepted.

And you do not start working until a clean background and drug screen comes back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment