Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2012, 12:28 AM

68 posts, read 178,976 times

Advertisements

I'm going back to school in January and was considering studying Health Care Administration. I would be getting a bachelor's degree from UW-Milwaukee. It's something I'm really interested in but I can't find anything on google or anything about the job market or even what somebody in health care administration can do. The school info say entry level make around 50k a year after graduating. That sounds really high. The main concern I have is what are my chances of finding a job? I don't want to spend 40k in loans and end up back with my parents like my friends who decided to study psychology. I would like to be independent like I am currently. Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 06:09 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,657,791 times
I'm working on a BS in Health Services Administration.

From what I can gather, you will likely need a master's to climb the ladder. And we'll have to make certain of getting and utilizing internships, since there is little technical skill involved and experience will be necessary.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:43 PM

266 posts, read 402,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UWMEastsider View Post
I'm going back to school in January and was considering studying Health Care Administration. I would be getting a bachelor's degree from UW-Milwaukee. It's something I'm really interested in but I can't find anything on google or anything about the job market or even what somebody in health care administration can do. The school info say entry level make around 50k a year after graduating. That sounds really high. The main concern I have is what are my chances of finding a job? I don't want to spend 40k in loans and end up back with my parents like my friends who decided to study psychology. I would like to be independent like I am currently. Any help is appreciated!
I am a nurse with an MS in healthcare admin. In my experience, anything in the healthcare field is thriving in comparison to other fields in this recession. I feel healthcare is a good choice with respect to finding a job immediately/asap after graduation. I would also say you'd be looking at about $50k at LEAST mid-level, but entry level positions should also pay pretty decently (in comparison, again) as well. If possible, get your foot in the door as soon as possible in a hospital setting or some type of medical setting. If you can either get a related internship or part-time work while pursuing your degree, I can assure you will have luck upon graduation. Just make sure to work hard and to never let your goal out of sight. Think about the future - be proactive. Make sure to think ahead in ways such as browsing job ads who are seeking degrees in this field, see what they also require (in terms of work experience, any kind of software you would need proficiency with, etc.) and get on it. Good luck!

Old 11-13-2012, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 6,882 times
I graduated with a BS in Community Health Sciences with emphasis in Health Policy and Administration in May of 2011 and I can't find a job in Mississippi. It took over a year of applying just to get an interview with the local clinics and hospitals. I don't have any healthcare experience (except for an internship). I do have 9 years of business/ customer service experience. I was also told by professors that I would make around $50,000 a year. I have been asked if I would like to interview in jobs making right above the federal minimum wage scanning papers. When one recruiter asked if I would consider taking a $3 an hour pay cut I explained that I had college loans she said "All of our non clinical jobs (she stressed nursing as a clinical job) only require a high school diploma. She had a degree from the same university in which I graduated from hanging in her office. If you already have healthcare experience its a great option. One of my classmates happened to be a nurse with extensive healthcare experience and she is doing great! Unfortunately, the majority classmates who didn't have years of clinical experience aren't working in the field. Although, I love the field I'll probably end up going back to school for something else. Hope this helps!

Old 11-13-2012, 04:57 PM

247 posts, read 751,191 times
All the people I know that have recently graduated with that degree are working as secretary's or billing clerks at the hospital/clinics. You'll move up eventually, but there is no way you'd make $50k starting out. Don't listen to those articles on ANY major unless you're living in a high cost of living area.

I would look into an actual health care profession if you want to pursue that (nursing, PT, etc) or accounting if you want to do business administration work (teaches a skill not management fluff). IMO.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:14 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,408,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach_B View Post
All the people I know that have recently graduated with that degree are working as secretary's or billing clerks at the hospital/clinics. You'll move up eventually, but there is no way you'd make $50k starting out. Don't listen to those articles on ANY major unless you're living in a high cost of living area.

I would look into an actual health care profession if you want to pursue that (nursing, PT, etc) or accounting if you want to do business administration work (teaches a skill not management fluff). IMO.
On that note, I'm getting an AAS for Health Information Technology and I'll be able to work in coding and billing and will be able to test for the board once I finish the prep class. No need for bachelors degree just to work as a billing clerk where you'll work your way up in it anyways.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:40 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,740 times
I have a B.S. in Health Services Administration. I did an internship at a hospital and the CEO told me that it was imperative for future Administrator's to get a Master's Degree. He STRONGLY recommended an MBA as opposed to an MHA. This changed my mind and I got my MBA. Best advice I was given. MBA opens more avenues (both in and out of Healthcare). I strongly recommend a financial background.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:58 PM

72 posts, read 339,991 times
This is the field that I'm also thinking about getting my degree in, very good advice, thanks!

Old 04-13-2015, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 4,044 times
Default noone will give me an opportunity

I am graduating in June 2015 with degree in healthcare administration and have been in healthcare industry for over 23 years as a registrar, scheduler, coder, insurance analyst and now as an administrative secretary applying for jobs in the hospital that I work in. They will not hire me as a supervisor as they say I don't have the experience as a supervisor yet I have trained employees, completed my supervisors reports etc. It's really difficult so my advice to you is to get in somewhere first get a job in healthcare first..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment