Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 04:39 AM

828 posts, read 907,601 times

Advertisements

Have you ever been backstabbed or thrown under the bus by coworkers? If so, how did you act when you ran into them later?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 05:04 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
If they don't know that you know they did it, keep it to yourself and greet them like nothing happened.

If they did it openly, give them a perfunctory greeting and move on.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:15 AM

115 posts, read 198,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
Have you ever been backstabbed or thrown under the bus by coworkers? If so, how did you act when you ran into them later?
Keep them at arms length but pretend like nothing happen. You have to fake it till you make it. The workplace is no place for grudges or hurt feelings. Cry about it at home in private

Old 04-15-2015, 07:00 AM

607 posts, read 977,971 times
About a decade ago I was in the same isle as a person that I got at odds with at a job when I was in college. He spotted me and I spotted him and we just went on with life like we were complete strangers and no interaction.

Best thing to do is pretend they no longer exist in the world and just move on. You don't have to say hi or fake it. Just don't be dumb and meltdown in public.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:36 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,280,641 times
I had a staff who was problematic (I will admit however, I certainly could have handled him better as well). I left that job eventually for another, but kept in touch with a few colleagues. This staff eventually left as well. I later heard from one of my colleagues that he essentially threw me under the bus after I left, and even more so during his exit interview. Basically was warned to never trust him.

It's unfortunate because he is a nice guy outside of work. We just butted heads in the office over philosophical differences. We do keep in touch. He keeps me abreast of his career etc, like we're still friends. I am as cordial as I can be.

Fast forward 5 years. He hates his job. I just took over as VP for my company. And we have an open position for what he does. He's reached out to me about it. Guess who's absolutely not being considered.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:46 AM

159 posts, read 177,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post

Fast forward 5 years. He hates his job. I just took over as VP for my company. And we have an open position for what he does. He's reached out to me about it. Guess who's absolutely not being considered.
Business world is small...... many people don't realize this.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:02 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Not to any insignificant extent. If it was just a meeting on the street, I'd avoid them. If I had to work with them at another employer, you bet it would be awkward.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:05 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
I had one coworker that threw me under the bus, I didn't find out until later. We both worked for a horrid woman who would pick one person on the team to blame all the issues for. My coworker jumped on this bad wagon and started piling on blame for more and more things. It was an absolute nightmare.

I left for a new position, she emailed me months afterwards to apologize. She started receiving the wrath of our boss and said she was the new scapegoat.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:14 AM

115 posts, read 198,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I had a staff who was problematic (I will admit however, I certainly could have handled him better as well). I left that job eventually for another, but kept in touch with a few colleagues. This staff eventually left as well. I later heard from one of my colleagues that he essentially threw me under the bus after I left, and even more so during his exit interview. Basically was warned to never trust him.

It's unfortunate because he is a nice guy outside of work. We just butted heads in the office over philosophical differences. We do keep in touch. He keeps me abreast of his career etc, like we're still friends. I am as cordial as I can be.

Why be so petty. If you don't like him and believe gossip that he talked about him then don't keep in touch and led him on like you two are fine. What you're saying appears petty and vindictive and partly based on gossip that you can't be sure is even true

Old 04-15-2015, 08:36 AM

465 posts, read 613,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNW2015 View Post
Why be so petty. If you don't like him and believe gossip that he talked about him then don't keep in touch and led him on like you two are fine. What you're saying appears petty and vindictive and partly based on gossip that you can't be sure is even true
I don't find him to be petty at all. Whether the gossip is true or not I would not hire him. That's not vindictive. What if he did hire him and he does the same thing to another employee? How does that reflect on the guy who hired his "friend"? That is what it will look like. Why take the risk. I stay cordial with plenty of people who I'm not all that fond of. Why be rude? Life is too short. I can't deny that sometimes it's nice to witness karma. If that is petty and vindictive, so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment