Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 10:09 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Other cases of the wrong person being promoted sometimes involves versions of the "good ole boy network". Today this mostly happens among people who went to the same university or fraternity. They hang out together at private clubs, go golfing together, attend university alumni events together, and then when there's a promotion position available, he promotes his buddy while ignoring the non-college graduate workers with years of experience and a real working knowledge of the job.
Yeah, I've worked with a few nepotism hires who were real idiots. They were friends with the boss or related. That happens a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 10:09 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,984,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I have far more respective for business owners than managers. I have a do-nothing manager right now who spends the majority of the day screwing around on the Internet and making personal phone calls, getting paid almost double what I make. It's hard to take someone like that seriously when he constantly tells us we need to step up the pace and be more "efficient."

And Im sure his crew has no respect for him overall either. :roll eyes: Because he just sits there on his lazy butt and doesn't lead by example.

I guess thats the point.. Why do you need those people there gobbling up payroll? They bring no value, no one likes them, no one respects them, the place could run just fine without them. Its just a waste. Which is strange because of how cheap many companies are today with reducing cost/expense etc. They will leave the useless do nothing middle managers around who are gobbling up more expense than the frontline is with all things considered.

Some middle managers are useful and get a lot done and assets to a company. But they are few and far between.. The majority aren't even needed.

especially, some of these smaller companies or small satellite workplaces that a bigger company encompasses. Ive seen maybe 20-30 people working there and they got like 4 different managers.

Why the hell do you need 4 middle managers in such a small operation? ROFLMAO But when times get tough they don't cut the managers.. The cut the productive people

Old 04-19-2015, 10:21 AM

17,614 posts, read 17,649,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
What person after person is complaining about, is that the new manager, does not do the work any longer, and pushes it off on others. That is what they are paid to do. A manager is a supervisor, not the ones doing the work. They may be a working manager, doing some of the work but they are majorly responsible to see that others do the work, not do it themselves.

That is what management is all about. The managers duties, include assigning work to others, not to do it themselves. Then seeing that the work gets done, record keeping, and more that the ones doing the work are not even aware of.
I disagree. A person with no real working knowledge of the job being promoted to a management position is going to make bad mistakes in different extremes. On one extreme is to expect the impossible. An extreme example is a trucking manager expecting the big rig driver to not get a speeding ticket but also to cover 12 hours of driving in the legal required 10 hours. A good manager will listen to his or her employees as to why a task is impossible to complete as directed. A bad manager will tell the employee to "shut up and do what I told you!". The other extreme is the bad manager expects the employees to be as ignorant and lazy as he/she was when he/she held that position. A restaurant worker who was a bad employee and becomes a manager may not care about restaurant cleaning because he/she hated doing it. Through lax oversight, the employees don't work as hard at keeping the restaurant clean. Food quality also suffers because safeguards aren't observed. In a restaurant, this could mean food poisoning, department of health inspection violations, insect and rodent infestation, and the restaurant going out of business. In industrial type jobs, this could mean people get killed on the job.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:20 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,144,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Maybe the objective was to increase attrition by creating an uncomfortable work environment. Or perhaps she got involved with one of the upper mgmt. and threatened to sue unless she was promoted. Who knows. Either way it sounds like its time for you to apply for a higher position elsewhere..
Oh, I left this company in the dust, and did it with a smile on my face.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Because competent people complain. ( and move on) .
This particular company had a severe retention problem. I left after only about 4-5 months lol. I actively starting searching literally after my second month, because I disagreed with their practices. I was surprised to see really hardworking people stay for years and allow their pride to be crushed in the process.

Last edited by jabber_wocky; 04-19-2015 at 01:32 PM..

Old 04-19-2015, 03:26 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,956 times
Quote:
Yeah, I've worked with a few nepotism hires who were real idiots. They were friends with the boss or related. That happens a lot.
oh you won't believe. at my company first question we ask the new hire, which super here sleeping with your mom?

Old 04-19-2015, 04:46 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,220,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
I worked for a company once that would promote from within (a good thing), but would promote the most incompetent (bad thing). A person from my department was promoted to a very technical role that required university-level education in which she did not have. If this was the only issue, I would have not thought much of it because there are many skilled professionals that do not have college degrees.

This person would find a way to pawn her work off on others or simply not do it and then whine, arrive to work 30 minutes to one hour late, leave work very early, and would brag about getting men to buy her trips and gifts. It was actually disconcerting to have her sit in our office and brag about her having hangovers and going to bars; the most unprofessional person I have ever worked with. And before you ask, she was in her mid to late thirties and had two children.

We had to fix her errors in her work, or sometimes we were the unlucky ones that had to do it for her. We could not rely on her to be where she said she will be. She would disappear for hours at a time. And still promoted....yes, we were blown away.

Why do companies promote incompetent staff?
In paragraph 2 you mentioned something that suggests that she is both attractive and low classed. So the question is no longer why but now it is who she is boning.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
In paragraph 2 you mentioned something that suggests that she is both attractive and low classed. So the question is no longer why but now it is who she is boning.
I am sad to say that from an objective standpoint (without any jealousy towards her) she was not the most physically appealing person. I think her years of partying and drama has aged her prematurely from head to toe. I thought she was literally 10 years older than her actual age. I honestly felt bad to see a woman only a few years older than myself do that to herself; I've never seen anything like it.

But, she was very talkative, and a flirt, and made some men feel at ease. Perhaps she was sleeping with someone, I really do not know.

Last edited by jabber_wocky; 04-19-2015 at 05:34 PM..

Old 04-19-2015, 05:32 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,316,354 times
Quote:
Boss's rear end <-------- *smooch* *smooch* *smooch*
This is it, and I've seen too many times!

Old 04-19-2015, 05:57 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,519,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Exactly... it's all about the 'clique' and being part of it.. all the co-workers who sleep with one another and go out and shoot pool, darts, fishing, etc. particularly if this is done with the supervisor.

Good attendance and making an effort to learn all the machines is enough at least where I work to keep my nose clean and ensure a gainful employment though.. I can remain my introverted self and not involve myself with all the workplace drama thankfully.

Or - at my company, there is a 'secret' bible study that some of the chosen ones attend. Including my manager. I've never worked at a corporation where so many spent time at their desks reading the Bible as opposed to actually doing their work. But - it is ultimately profitable for them .

And I do not work at a religious organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment