Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 10:22 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,058,899 times

Advertisements

I would call sooner rather than later. That way they can get someone else. There is no issue with changing your mind. In good faith you accepted what you thought was one type of position and it turns out to be another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 11:01 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,653,067 times
Restrain kids? Is this a sped classroom for children with mental health issues by any chance? If they are older you could end up injured yourself.

This is classic case of job description changing during the interview process. Don't feel guilty about turning it down.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:22 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,283,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Restrain kids? Is this a sped classroom for children with mental health issues by any chance? If they are older you could end up injured yourself.

This is classic case of job description changing during the interview process. Don't feel guilty about turning it down.
No this is not sped children or at least I was told there were no sped in this setting. This was just a child who was unwilling to listen and was kicking things, so the director ended up having to restrain him, not sure of his age as she didn't get into specifics.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:25 AM

363 posts, read 482,766 times
I would just call and say that you are sorry but you must respectfully decline the position. It's business.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:54 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Can you visit the program to see it in action on a typical day? Maybe there are a lot of kids at the beginning of your shift but almost all are gone near the end of the shift. Right after school you may have 21 children, but an hour and a half later only have 15 children, and your last half hour only have 6 students.

IMHO, most after school programs are pretty laid back and easy. The schools in my area have snack time, then "open gym time" or playing on the playground for the first 45 minutes or so and then quiet "homework time", art or table game time for the next 45 minutes or so and after that "free choice" activites.

I bet that it was an extremely unusual situation to have to restrain a regular education student.

Last edited by germaine2626; 04-18-2015 at 02:25 PM..

Old 04-18-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
No this is not sped children or at least I was told there were no sped in this setting. This was just a child who was unwilling to listen and was kicking things, so the director ended up having to restrain him, not sure of his age as she didn't get into specifics.
Using physical force on an unruly child is lawsuit material in most states.

If this was in fact a normal child, why not just give them a timeout.

Who knows maybe you will be the one the director restrains once you get on the job, if that is their philosophy of teaching.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:22 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,283,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Using physical force on an unruly child is lawsuit material in most states.

If this was in fact a normal child, why not just give them a timeout.

Who knows maybe you will be the one the director restrains once you get on the job, if that is their philosophy of teaching.
I definitely would never restrain a child in this setting to much liability for me.

The director told me that he refused to go into timeout and was throwing and kicking things. I got the feeling from talking to her this child is consistently causing issues and they have been trying to get him removed from the program but have so far been unsuccessful. All I know is my neighbor who has lived in this area since she was a teenager and at one time used this program for her oldest child, told me Friday that she would never leave her kids there unless she had no other options.

Last edited by ajzjmsmom; 04-18-2015 at 02:30 PM..

Old 04-18-2015, 03:39 PM

Default follow your gut instinct and conscience

Quote:
I definitely would never restrain a child in this setting to much liability for me.

The director told me that he refused to go into timeout and was throwing and kicking things. I got the feeling from talking to her this child is consistently causing issues and they have been trying to get him removed from the program but have so far been unsuccessful. All I know is my neighbor who has lived in this area since she was a teenager and at one time used this program for her oldest child, told me Friday that <b>she would never leave her kids there unless she had no other options.</b>
There's your answer right there. I think you know this all ready.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:14 PM

896 posts, read 1,141,394 times
I agree, follow your gut. All in all, IT IS NOT WORTH IT. Save yourself the heartache.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:05 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,499,657 times
Quote:
It really bothered me to hear her say she had to restrain the child to control him, that is not something I am comfortable doing, there is just to much liability and considering I would be part-time and minimum wage, I wouldn't really expect the school district to have my back if a parent got upset.

Then don't restrain a child. How often would it be necessary. Maybe she only grabbed him by the hand to prevent him from running away. Like when you grab a hand of a child if they are about to run into the street.

Sounds like you might be seeing visions of "restrain" that might be more intense than what really takes place and probably only comes into play on very rare occasions. And maybe you learn how to take the child by the hand, calmly, and walk them away from a situation.

If a child is going bonkers, on a rare occasion (if at all) you can call for assistance from others at the school. Or come up with another way to get the child's attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment