Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 08:02 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,754,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I could never call my colleague Granny. Even if she's okay with it.
I've been guilty of calling her Granny...

More than a few times when she wanted something done a certain way SHE would say... "Tell them Granny said"

Anyway... she thought she would never have a Grandchild and had a big celebration when her Granddaughter was born... said we can call her Granny and some of the young nurses as in 24 or 25 started... she also calls all the Nurses her girls...

Hey... if it is not broken... let it go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 08:22 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,075,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Perfect response.

To the ladies (girls? ) posting in this thread, you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Did you ever ask yourselves why we have superheroes called "Superman" but the female equivalent is "Supergirl?"

Do you find that degrading? Well, it isn't, and here's why. Boys grow up to be men. In our society, men are the ones with the power, money, and opportunity, not boys. No one wants to be a boy in a man's world, they have nothing. So we grow up.

But for ladies? You are more prized for your youth and looks, and devote untold dollars to maintain those youthful looks from the beauty products you buy to the clothes you wear.

This difference is the exact same reason why a 40 yr old man would hate being carded going to a bar, while a 40 yr old woman would absolutely love it.
Perfect example of a misogynist post. You are really citing Supergirl as an example? A comic written in the 1950s, when men were men and women were housewives?

Then you compound your error by saying that men have power and women are valued for looks?! This is EXACTLY the problem.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:52 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,582,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post
This is for anyone who is in a supervisory role.

Specifically if you are a male supervisor and one of your employees is a female.

And specifically if both of you are married or in committed relationships.

Have you ever called one of your employees you number one girl?
So what's wrong with that? You hear that all the time, and it means a female asset, reliable and good worker. To make anymore out of that is nuts. I see a lot of folks saying its derogatory and in bad taste, and with a mindset like that, they would not be working long for me. I use the phrase, for my top female employee, and used the phrase. "Girls in the Office" and so on. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, and its certainly not sexual on its own. If you are offended by it, and work for me, find another job. There are plenty of women that would like being the "Number One Girl" in the place. I also refer to women I know and see, when greeting them, as "Hey Gal, How are you."

If I had an employee that took offense to that, I would see her/him as a potential troublemaker, and find a reason to terminate her/him. No one needs an employee that's oversensitive and is a risk that may take legal action at the drop of a hat. You would be gone, good employee or not. I had a business to run, and no time for babysitting or changing diapers.

Would that be fair? Heck no, but business is business, and no one needs a time bomb walking around the place. Discourse is contagious, and is not tolerated. One can be assured, that if Management wants you gone, they can find a legal reason , any day of the week.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:11 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,684,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Here is what I have said:

Listen up, little man (<doesn't sound too good, does it), I handle my own problems without management getting involved. I had to handle sexist pig and I did it with a desirable outcome and management never knew about the incident. I've been hit on at work more times than I care to count. Sometimes uncomfortably so. I handled it and management never knew.

If you feel it's okay or complimentary to refer to women as girls in the workplace, it will reflect on you - not me.

You see a forest where there is none.

ETA: I'm a manager's dream. I work my behind off, do my job, and don't participate in work gossip. I've never had anything close to a poor performance review and have easily been able to obtain positions because my reputation precedes me. In fact, the assertive, never-back-down personality that is annoying you in this thread, is what makes me very good at my job.

The very people that do not like this part of my personality are the people who call on me when they need someone to have their backs. I'd would/will have your back too if it were needed.

Hey you can call me what you'd like. I don't get spun up on names. I don't participate in office drama, nor do I get offended. I have thick skin and as long as management knows my job is getting done I let everything else roll off my back without much of a second thought.

I've been hit on a few times myself. It' not just women. I don't automatically take offense to a word though because someone hit on me in the past. I also don't make the assumption that when someone calls me something other than my name that they're trying to make a move on me. I really don't care. I'm confident enough in my marriage and my work that I have better things to do with my time.

Eventually you may see the forest I speak of.

I think any time a manager takes time out of their day to pay you a compliment, you should take it and move on. Often times their minds are wrapped around something else and it takes a lot to make them stop and think "Wow, this person has really gone above and beyond."

I guess the PC thing to do would be to say "This is my go to human." Since everyone is looking for some new bandwagon to jump on (sexism, racism, age discrimination, etc..) a person has to be on guard before saying anything. Maybe the best thing for management to do would be to just stop paying compliments altogether.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:22 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,655,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

More than a few times when she wanted something done a certain way SHE would say... "Tell them Granny said"

Anyway... she thought she would never have a Grandchild and had a big celebration when her Granddaughter was born... said we can call her Granny and some of the young nurses as in 24 or 25 started... she also calls all the Nurses her girls...

Why use the word 'guilty'? If she likes being called Granny, you shouldn't feel guilty.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:25 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,655,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Hey you can call me what you'd like. I don't get spun up on names. I don't participate in office drama, nor do I get offended. I have thick skin and as long as management knows my job is getting done I let everything else roll off my back without much of a second thought.

I've been hit on a few times myself. It' not just women. I don't automatically take offense to a word though because someone hit on me in the past. I also don't make the assumption that when someone calls me something other than my name that they're trying to make a move on me. I really don't care. I'm confident enough in my marriage and my work that I have better things to do with my time.

Eventually you may see the forest I speak of.

I think any time a manager takes time out of their day to pay you a compliment, you should take it and move on. Often times their minds are wrapped around something else and it takes a lot to make them stop and think "Wow, this person has really gone above and beyond."

I guess the PC thing to do would be to say "This is my go to human." Since everyone is looking for some new bandwagon to jump on (sexism, racism, age discrimination, etc..) a person has to be on guard before saying anything. Maybe the best thing for management to do would be to just stop paying compliments altogether.

Or "This is my go-to huwoman" because you don't want anyone with a stick so rigid they cannot sit, getting their nose out of shape.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:30 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,186,274 times
Here is my take, as someone who manages people.

I truly doubt it was meant in any other way than as a term of endearment.

However, if it truly, honestly bothered you, then, you should address it with him. If I said something that truly offended someone, I would hope they would tell me.

I would say to ask yourself if this offended you, or, are you upset about something else and this was the "last straw" so to speak. If so, I would work on addressing the other thing first.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:36 AM

377 posts, read 671,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
We could find a number of things to be offended by most days, but 99% of them would be things said without any intent to offend without any meaning behind them.

I think this is one of the 99%.

this...
I don't think your boss meant anything by it. Is he older? That could explain the terminology which I can't see a younger man even using.

That being said as a manager I would not say such a thing but that's because I am hyper vigilant in regards to gender, race, religion sensitivities. I am only hyper vigilant because some moron got offended by an offhand comment (not by me, another supervisor here) and it caused a huge fiasco.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:11 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,682,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

I get it; I didn't mean to sound judgmental - I just couldn't do it.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:22 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,588,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAGeek View Post
A man wouldn't say, "you are my go to man." That just sounds awkward. One would only use, "go to guy." This phrase is typically used by a male supervisor when a male employee does an excellent job and has shown he can be trusted to competently perform a variety of tasks.

There isn't really a female equivalent of "guy," but "girl" is closer than woman. "Girl" is slang for woman or adult female (e.g., "you go girl").
i casually call women guys.
unisex:
Quote:
do you guys got a minute.
i think the opposite of boy is girl.
and i think the opposite of guy is girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment