Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 01:20 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
You keep bodes in your refrigerator dont you.
What are bodes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 01:22 PM

56 posts, read 70,964 times
If someone was "shot gunning me questions" instead of having a conversation with me, I'd be annoyed.

Generally I am pretty friendly and will talk to anyone but if they asked me something too personal, I'd just say I don't feel comfortable discussing that.

I have a friend who is from another culture that doesn't like personal questions because in that culture these things are seen as private and intrusive. He has had a lot of problems relating and getting along with co-workers for this reason. They want to get to know him and he refuses to talk chit chat about his private life.

He has the right not to discuss these issues and they keep thinking he is just secretive and "stuck up."

Old 04-20-2015, 02:57 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
I make jokes out of personal questions if I want to evade them. Always works. We'll laugh and the topic goes somewhere else. I'm pretty direct, but I'd never answer questions about where exactly I live or finances or anything else I didn't want to answer!!

Old 04-20-2015, 04:15 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,661,274 times
Not one person has ever ask #6, #8, #9, unless it was a financial professional, the rest is of little consequence.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:44 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNW2015 View Post
6 how much money are you making
I have a problem with this question in the workplace, but I work in IT at a company with employees in dozens of locations around the world, and an equally large variety of employment contracts, etc. There are also folks who have been here 30 years and folks out of school.

Who knows how much anyone makes? I can make a guess based on grade level (which is public knowledge at this firm), but otherwise not.

The other questions don't bother me, but I would just do whatever comes naturally. If you don't want to talk about a given subject, either give a very general answer, or just let them know you aren't comfortable with that topic.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:50 PM

469 posts, read 637,371 times
I answer one question and then I ask them three. People love talking about themselves so it is very easy to shift the questions off me and onto them while still coming off very social and open to conversation.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:31 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,473 times
First people ask how to avoid answering personal questions, then complain that they have no friends. Seems to me that second is a direct consequence of the first.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:37 PM

510 posts, read 716,497 times
Nearly all of those questions are WAAYY too personal, especially to talk about at work. Ridiculous. They need to buzz off.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:21 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,750,401 times
I usually respond with I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. I usually don't get asked again, or to lunch for that matter.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:22 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNW2015 View Post
So how do you respond to colleagues who ask personal questions at work. I know many people don't mind sharing their personal lives but I'm not one of them.

In the past I've had coworkers ask

1. Are you dating/ married
2. How many children do you have
3. Where do you live (giving them the city wasn't good enough) they want cross streets
4. What does your spouse do for work
5. What type of work did your parent do
6 how much money are you making
7 how old are you
8 how much do you pay in rent/ mortgage
9 how much did you have in student loans

Often times when these and other questions come up especially during an initial conversation with a colleague I think "none of your business" but I have yet to figure out how to politely either not respond or vaguely respond. If you are like me how have you successfully avoided colleagues who can ask a million and one questions which have nothing to do with work. How can you tell them to back off without having them turn into a workplace enemy

Please let me know any tips or suggested answers.

Please don't respond with "just get to know them" or "don't be so secretive" or the like

Thanks guys

I don't and never did, my personal life is just that, personal and it really is none of their business.
Work is work not social hour and I always got a salary to work.

If I was asked a personal question I either immediately changed the subject to business or walked away without answering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment