Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 10:55 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times

Advertisements

So, I am retired - sort of... I have been a consultant for the last 20+ years and if the right rate comes along, I am willing to discuss it. Sooo. I get an email today for a job that requires my rare skills. In fact all of the requirements of this job are right up my alley and the location is not objectionable.

I send them a response to their email asking the rate and including my resume? As is typical, one minute after sending the resume, I get a phone call.

"Hello Mr. [indistinguishable pronunciation of my first name]. This is Karan from [?????] Technology Consultants. How are you today?"

"I am fine, thank you. How are you?"

"I am fine, thank you for asking." [boilerplate answer]

Are you calling about the job I just responded to?" It was obvious to me that he was because his name was the same as in the mail.

He answers. [Something that - from the tone - was apparently a question.]

"I'm sorry, can you repeat that?"

A little clearer, he says "I said, are you currently in the job market?"

"Well, aren't you the person I just sent a copy of my resume to by return mail?"

Silence followed by mumbling.

I repeat. "I'm sorry, is this the person I just sent my resume to in regards to the Atlanta Job?"

Silence

"Atlanta, Georgia"

[Apparently finding his spot in the script again...]"Mr. [still not close] Are you currently in the job market?"

"It depends on the location and Job. I am guessing this call is related to the Atlanta job you sent me email about? What is the rate for this gig?"

"Wait, please, wait. Before we talk about that. What is your immigration status?"

[By now, I am a little annoyed.] "Immigration status? I am a CITIZEN of the place you are calling, the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" [OK, I may have been a little pedantic when I said that.]

Click! He hang up.
This is a hell of a racket. All they do is scan the internet for a job posting. Then scan for a resume that matches. Call to get your details, and then send that information onto the hiring contract company to get a fee for the work you end up doing. I'd call it a scam, but it is really a system the employers of this country are happy to work within.

Really a waste of time and money IMO. --end if rant --
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 11:08 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Try a different agency. Many times several will be working on the same job. Find one that has competent recruiters and let them know they just lost out on a gig due to not having their excrement in order.

Even if they haven't posted or contacted you about it many times they can represent you if the job requisition is out there.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:12 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
I've dealt with bad Indian recruiters as well in the past. Some seemed unable to read or interpret my resume, others I can barely communicate with. If you are really interested in the job contact an agency tell them about what job you are interested in and I'm sure they can look up the requisition and submit you for it. A lot of times the big companies just put it out there and whatever agency finds the candidate gets the cheese.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:33 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
I think talking about the quality of recruiters is ridiculous. I cannot think of another discipline where "throwing s--- up against the wall hoping something sticks" has been taken to such an extreme as with recruiters.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:42 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
I won't even talk to foreign recruiters. More often than not I just hang up on them. If I see calls coming from California, New Jersey, or Chicago (they love to spoof these area codes using VOIP) I don't even answer it. I let it go to voicemail, then delete their monotone robotic messages.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:15 PM

3 posts, read 2,070 times
Let me tell you something about bad Indian recruiters...it's far too difficult to figure out who the good ones are.

In my opinion, anyone who is not an American citizen recruiter is taking an American citizen recruiter's job (and they are taking a lot of our tech jobs also, besides). You should care about that more than anything else.

That has become my guidepost to solving this problem.

Now, independently of where they are from, the foreign recruiters all have the same modus operandi:

One job comes up and over 12 of them hammer you incessantly starting early in the morning.

I got over 15 calls today from Indian recruiters, mostly for the same job.

It's just an absolutely insane and out of control mess.

We cannot support India's need for all of our jobs. We have to take a stand and push back if we want to survive. I'm not interested in helping another country's citizens survive at our expense. I don't care what that makes me. If it makes me someone who is willing to be politically incorrect to stay alive rather than politically correct and dead, then that's fine. Political correctness is a suicide contract.

Americans need to look out for Americans...let the rest of the world deal with its own need for a job.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:19 PM

115 posts, read 98,704 times
If they contact me about job X, i don't bother replying because i know its a waste of time and wind up looking for that same position on credible job boards (indeed/linkedin) and go through the process that way.

Most of them just have a "contact" quote that they need to hit and don't care about you getting that job.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:33 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,806 times
The recruiter would never have gotten that far with me on the phone. I would have hung up on him.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:58 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,031 times
If you have in-demand skills, there is no reason to be taking to someone without a good grasp on English. I would have hung up the first indication I couldn't understand him or him me.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:45 PM

363 posts, read 433,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssybesma View Post
We cannot support India's need for all of our jobs. We have to take a stand and push back if we want to survive. I'm not interested in helping another country's citizens survive at our expense. I don't care what that makes me. If it makes me someone who is willing to be politically incorrect to stay alive rather than politically correct and dead, then that's fine. Political correctness is a suicide contract.

Americans need to look out for Americans...let the rest of the world deal with its own need for a job.
Lol, you actually believe Indians have these jobs because America and the American companies care about their well being and help them survive? The only reason they have these jobs is because these American companies would much rather save money than hire Americans in America. If you're willing to move to India and accept their salary, I am sure they'll hire you in a heartbeat.

The same thing goes for a lot of times when they people are mad because Indians are stealing Americans jobs when they call customer support. Many times the call is being transferred to India the country and not to an Indian in America. Let's not forget most of these jobs nobody wants to do or do it temporarily until they find something better. Most companies don't care about any country or the people. It's all about the money, always has always will be. They would much rather hire three Indians in India with no benefits for the price of one American employee who will probably end up leaving because the job is bad or didn't get 10 vacation days instead of 9.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment