Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 05:44 PM

756 posts, read 834,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybanter View Post
I dont even know what to ask here....

What would be the best way to find a job that i can tolerate? Ive only worked in call centers and I cant stand them so I always end up quitting them eventually but I dint have experience in anything else. Is there anything that I could do to get out of this trap? I have my A+ Certification but again, no experience. I also have a general studies AA degree.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Everybody else already gave you answers. I am in the similar situation and so that is why I subscribed to this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 07:51 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
Stop, just stop with this nonsense. Probably the crappiest advice people get on jobs/careers...follow your passion.

Jesus Christ.
Yeah, do you think insurance claims adjusters or plumbers have a passion for what they do? Probably not, but it puts food on the table. That's what a job is for, to support yourself. Passions are for your time off.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:48 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
...Passions are for your time off.
I've always had a passion for what I do - to the point that it also became a part of my hobby.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:32 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Don't say "no skills". Everyone has talent in some way.

And don't flame me, y'all, but the National Guard (Air Force) will train you in all kinds of skills and pay you while you train. And give you OJT, and turn you into a veteran, which looks great on a resume! Security, Fire, Vehicle Maintenance, Flight Operations, Intel, Finance, Communications/IT, Medical, Services/Food/Mortuary, Supply, Acft Maint, Acft Ground Support Equipment, Refuel support/POL. They also have EEO, Chaplain, Public affairs. That's all I can think of.

And you're not too old. Just get your body in shape and start exploring what you got the urge to do. If you like it and stick with it you can get a retirement out of it. Guard members often stay till they're 60. And it's a second family since they don't get reassigned like Active Duty.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:33 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Yeah, do you think insurance claims adjusters or plumbers have a passion for what they do? Probably not, but it puts food on the table. That's what a job is for, to support yourself. Passions are for your time off.
You're missing the point of how you define passion, some people work to live and some live to work. You define passions by your leisure interests, some people have a passion for making money, climbing the ladder, building businesses, etc. So, the plumber may be a plumber for the job, or he may be building his business or exercising his independence.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:04 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,829 times
I feel OP's pain. I have a Masters and I'm a delivery driver and furniture mover. Live in a small city in a bad part of a terrible state. Community colleges nearby don't offer anything other than medical or computer-related careers (not good with either), not a lot of opportunity to learn new things short of reading about it online (which employers generally don't count as 'experience.') Would like to go back to school, but accumulating more debt for an expensive and probably worthless Masters (not to mention moving because none of the online ones are any good) isn't a great idea.

I'm beginning to think some of us are just failures.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:17 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
You're still very young. Don't lose hope. Life is long. There is plenty of opportunity. The biggest choice IMO is do you do something you love (follow your heart) or do something practical (follow your head). If you follow your heart, you weigh the risk of your abilities vs your passions. If you follow your head you can gain financial security then be free to follow your heart later. The main thing is TRY. Don't underestimate the good will of your fellow man. People seeing someone doing the best they can often appreciate that more than you might think. Show someone you try. That person very well may help you get you to where you want to be.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:44 AM

733 posts, read 853,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
I feel OP's pain. I have a Masters and I'm a delivery driver and furniture mover. Live in a small city in a bad part of a terrible state. Community colleges nearby don't offer anything other than medical or computer-related careers (not good with either), not a lot of opportunity to learn new things short of reading about it online (which employers generally don't count as 'experience.') Would like to go back to school, but accumulating more debt for an expensive and probably worthless Masters (not to mention moving because none of the online ones are any good) isn't a great idea.

I'm beginning to think some of us are just failures.
No, failures are mean, unkind, cruel. Don't confuse a failure as a person who has not done well/had luck in life!!!

I would maybe save your every cent and try to move to a place you think you would enjoy! Might not be possible, just throwing out an idea. I for one am trying to get to a beach area.

You are NOT a failure!

Old 04-28-2015, 08:48 AM

306 posts, read 517,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
There are some incredibly successful people that never finished college. I am doing perfectly fine at my age in a professional job. I have an A+ cert also, and I never got a degree.

If he wants money now, he just needs to get his foot in the door into an office. After 4-5 years, he could be making $80k. If he wants to be on the 9 year plan, he could go to college for 4 years and then work in his professionnal job for 5 years to make the same money.

If he wants immediate results, he needs to start working on his career development skills. Get a foot in the door and move on up.
Getting your foot in the door without any real experience is easier said than done for a lot of people.

Just because you did something doesn't mean those opportunities are readily available for OP based on a variety of factors.

However, I admit I don't know much about A+ certification or the doors it can open up, so maybe you know more about the type of positions he should be looking for.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:31 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybanter View Post
I dont even know what to ask here....

What would be the best way to find a job that i can tolerate? Ive only worked in call centers and I cant stand them so I always end up quitting them eventually but I dint have experience in anything else. Is there anything that I could do to get out of this trap? I have my A+ Certification but again, no experience. I also have a general studies AA degree.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
So the question is basically, what do you want to be when you grow up????? YOU need to figure out what interests YOU and then work towards making that training/skills a reality. Some people want to sit at a computer all day, some folks need to be outside doing things. You mention some (minimal) training, with no experience. Why?? Were you not suited to that work? Did it not interest you??? Maybe you are the kind of person that would benefit greatly from one of those skills/interest assessment tests that might give you some guidance into what you have "natural" skills/talents towards and help you find something that would keep you interested vs something you hate doing. When you call your job a "trap" it is apparent it is not a job you are happy with.

Good luck...some of us find our calling sooner than others, but that does not mean yours will be any less rewarding if you take the time and energy to research what YOU want to do. Heck, people even change careers mid life these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment