Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 09:50 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times

Advertisements

What makes biology less run of the mill than psychology and economics? There are actually many more biology majors than economics majors. Biology is one of the top 5 most popular majors.
http://college.usatoday.com/2014/10/...ollege-majors/

I've seen schools with 10-year time limits on science, business, and IT/CS credits. I've also seen 5-year time limits on prerequisites for health programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 09:53 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
They may not expire but they aren't going to be applied to another degree. So you might be able to skip some required courses or prerequisites if you've already taken them, but you aren't going to get a 2nd bachelors degree without taking the full amount of credits required for that degree.
This is not true. General education courses usually transfer for 2nd bachelor's degrees. You will mostly end up just taking courses in the major unless the new major has very different gen ed requirements. I'm actually in the process of earning a second bachelor's for personal fulfillment purposes.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:54 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,773,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplanet321 View Post
I had a 3.8 gpa if you can believe that. After graduating I decided against med school and I realized that being a health practitioner wasn't for me (I'm not a people person) and I just lost passion for the subject after studying it.

Ive had 5 interviews for "real" jobs since graduating and I didn't get the job each time. Its depressing seeing all my friends with just average, run of the mill majors like economics and psychology who are working on their actual careers and I'm still here sitting at home.

Don't MBA programs want work experience as a requirement for entrance? I always thought people go for their MBA if they need to move up in a company, not if they are unemployed.
I know someone who was working on a master's degree in education. Her credits held up for nearly 20 years before she completed that degree. I guess it just depends as the others here have said.

I would not get an MBA without some work experience, usually MBAs are for people who move up in management or in a position where their company pays for it.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:38 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
If you were actually granted a DIPLOMA or DEGREE your courses may not be transferable.
I had this happen when I received an A.A. degree: the University involved was in Canada, and if I hadn't received my two year diploma they would have recognized my courses for credit. There was no time limit.

You may also in the sciences have to pass an exam for proficiency, but it sounds like you're not really interested in Biology anyway.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:54 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
Quote:
Ive had 5 interviews for "real" jobs since graduating and I didn't get the job each time. Its depressing seeing all my friends with just average, run of the mill majors like economics and psychology who are working on their actual careers and I'm still here sitting at home.
You've had FIVE interviews and you're discouraged?
You're not even trying!
Get back to me when you've had 50 interviews.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:04 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
1. Dont get a new degree until you KNOW what you want to do

2. Every college has a different policy about credits

3. Usually when you apply for a "second bachelors" youll only have to take the 20 or so classes that make up the "last two years" of the 4 year degree. The 60 credits of the first two years will carry over.

4. Your credits dont expire on a completed degree. However if you graduated 25 years ago and want to major in IT they would probably make you retake some courses to catch up with tech.

Your mom may be confusing this with the completion timeframe rules when obtaining a degree. In a lot of programs they require you complete the program in X years from start to finish.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:22 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:

Meh... five interviews are nothing! You will need many more to land a job.
And IMHO, biology is more run of the mill than econ or psych.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:31 AM

733 posts, read 853,758 times
Quote:
I graduated in 2011 with a worthless biology degree. I haven't been able to find a career type job. My mom is adamant that I go back to school. She says that my college credits may have expired already. Can this be true? If so then what was the point of getting a degree?
Certain courses can "expire" for the purpose of admitting you into a program. For example, if you wanted to go into a Radiology program, most likely your Anatomy and Physiology courses would "expire" after six years. You still have credit for them, and other programs or degrees likely won't ask for them to be retaken, but for some narrow areas of study (mainly the allied health fields), you must retake a few courses in order to be considered. Very stupid.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:33 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
It varies from school to school.

Also, if you were halfway through a nursing program (or lots of other allied health programs) and completed some pre-requisites to clinical courses, you may have to re-take those pre-requisites and any clinicals you've taken.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:28 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
You've had FIVE interviews and you're discouraged?
You're not even trying!
Get back to me when you've had 50 interviews.
OP graduated in 2011.
5 interviews in 4 years is pretty dismal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment