Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 06:32 AM

4,279 posts, read 8,215,166 times

Advertisements

Agreed^^.

If the employer tells you it's OK to be late, then, by all means. In my department, I frequently need them to stay a few minutes late or change their schedule, so, I am super flexible with them about coming in late, changing their schedule, etc.

If they are telling you that you need to be in at a certain time, especially if you are already late and they "warn" you about it.. That's your cue to make it in on time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 07:54 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,073,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter921 View Post
basically i was not late, i clocked in 2 min late. the job is a retail job i mean they let me go so coldly, these managers are fake, they dont give a **** like they say they do. i am not implying that they have to care, but their full of ****.
Can you think of any other reasons? I have a hard time believing you would be let go for clocking in 2 minutes late one time. Unless you always do it. How is your attitude at work?

Old 05-06-2015, 08:02 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,073,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Repeat this to yourself the next time you get a job, Peter: "If you are not 15 minutes early for work, you are late !"

What that means is, when your shift starts you should already be at your post, ready to start working, not simply walking in the door at the time you are supposed to be there. By starting time you should have all the chit chat and coffee drinking out of the way and be ready to roll.

If you show up early and show up every day your bosses will see you as a good worker and want to keep you around. That is not cold, simply how business works.

Don
Funny you would say that because I was just discussing with my son yesterday that when I drop them off at school I get to work 20 minutes later. He asked if I was late and I told him no but I am not as early as I should be.
It is a little different for me as I am not on a clock but I always try to arrive early. It is the best time to get things done when you normally have a busy day.
Most of the people I have managed have followed my lead and usually are early.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:02 AM

165 posts, read 233,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
So, being late because of an unforeseen event, as long as there isn't a pattern or any history of being late, shouldn't be looked at as a mortal sin? I wish my past employers showed that kind of mercy.
Car breaking down, being in an accident, house on fire/flooded etc. If your past employers don't have that kind of mercy, a certain word that starts with D comes to mind.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:08 AM

406 posts, read 562,205 times
I can see it being justified for hourly-type jobs where others depend on you to be there at a set time.

Salary is nice. Come when you want, leave when you want... as long as you get your work done.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:17 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,718,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahodor View Post
Car breaking down, being in an accident, house on fire/flooded etc. If your past employers don't have that kind of mercy, a certain word that starts with D comes to mind.

Your car doesn't break down every day.

Your house doesn't catch on fire or flood every day.

You don't get into an accident every day.

Those are circumstances in which most employers would be understandable, assuming you are at work on time every other day.

I leave every morning in enough time to be 20-30 minutes early to work. That way if I get caught by the train, get stuck in a traffic jam due to an accident, have a flat, etc... I have time to work around it and get to work on time.

I had a guy working for me once that had a habit of being late. He made it a point to be late at least once a week. He was already under a written warning for tardiness.

The week that I fired him, he called in 4 days in a row with a different reason as to why he was late and then laid out sick on Friday. I'll never forget them. His shift started at 7am.

Monday - Car wouldn't start and didn't have a way to go pick up a new battery. Came in at noon.

Tuesday - Girlfriend's car wouldn't start. He had to replace the starter. Came in at 12:30.

Wednesday - Power was out at his house. Woke up late when the alarm didn't sound. Came in at 9:45.

Thursday - Had a wreck on the way to work. Came in at 10am and told someone else he "almost hit a deer" but nothing really happened. He overslept again.

Friday - Called in sick to work and then posted pics on Facebook of he and his girlfriend on a road trip to Kentucky for the weekend.

Believe me, management keeps tabs on this. If you have a history of things like this, or a bad track record (ESPECIALLY while on probation) you'll be gone quickly. The OP admitted to being late a few times.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:29 AM

406 posts, read 562,205 times
lol, that guy has some balls.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:45 AM

17,412 posts, read 12,038,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter921 View Post
i was not late very many times, plus they were less than 5 minutes lates
Late is late. One is too many times.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:58 AM

165 posts, read 233,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post

Those are circumstances in which most employers would be understandable, assuming you are at work on time every other day.

I leave every morning in enough time to be 20-30 minutes early to work. That way if I get caught by the train, get stuck in a traffic jam due to an accident, have a flat, etc... I have time to work around it and get to work on time.

I had a guy working for me once that had a habit of being late. He made it a point to be late at least once a week. He was already under a written warning for tardiness.

The week that I fired him, he called in 4 days in a row with a different reason as to why he was late and then laid out sick on Friday. I'll never forget them. His shift started at 7am.

Monday - Car wouldn't start and didn't have a way to go pick up a new battery. Came in at noon.

Tuesday - Girlfriend's car wouldn't start. He had to replace the starter. Came in at 12:30.

Wednesday - Power was out at his house. Woke up late when the alarm didn't sound. Came in at 9:45.

Thursday - Had a wreck on the way to work. Came in at 10am and told someone else he "almost hit a deer" but nothing really happened. He overslept again.

Friday - Called in sick to work and then posted pics on Facebook of he and his girlfriend on a road trip to Kentucky for the weekend.

Believe me, management keeps tabs on this. If you have a history of things like this, or a bad track record (ESPECIALLY while on probation) you'll be gone quickly. The OP admitted to being late a few times.

Unforeseen Event to me means Freak Occurrence (Not to be confused with regular excuse making)... sorry I didn't spell that out more clearly for some of you.

So, leaving 20-30 minutes earlier will do you any good, if you get hit by an idiot texting while driving and not paying attention or if you are on a bridge and all lanes are closed because of a truck driver overturning. Things happen that all your little planning won't cover.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:24 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,718,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahodor View Post
Unforeseen Event to me means Freak Occurrence (Not to be confused with regular excuse making)... sorry I didn't spell that out more clearly for some of you.

So, leaving 20-30 minutes earlier will do you any good, if you get hit by an idiot texting while driving and not paying attention or if you are on a bridge and all lanes are closed because of a truck driver overturning. Things happen that all your little planning won't cover.

Apparently I didn't spell it out well enough either....... so let me refer you back to the part you may have skimmed over.

Leaving earlier will help you avoid most chances of being late. Freak occurrences would be understandable and most employers will be lenient on those, assuming it is actually a freak occurrence and not a recurring theme. In the case of the OP, it was recurring in a very short period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment