Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2015, 05:52 AM

14 posts, read 24,035 times

Advertisements

I need some advice... Some of you may think this is a no brainer, but it is really weighing on me.

Some background... I am in my late 30s and have done very well, I worked at one company for 12 years with increasing levels of responsibility and pay increases. My boss, who I loved, left a couple years back and the job and company progressively went down hill... I was increasingly unhappy and looked for a job for quite some time. Out of the blue the old boss called me for a job with his new company.

I took it and have been there 2 years... I have been working on a project that has literally changed the face of the company and will garauntee I make more money than I ever have over the next 2-3 years. All great right... Awesome boss, awesome job, And I live exactly where I want to (wife's home town).

The only downside is that we were bought by a larger global company and there is some question about where people may end up, but I am highly thought of a key cog of the company's success over the next 5 years, so I am in a good spot

Here's where the issue starts.

A month ago I got a call from a recruiter I have known for many years and he told me I was named by a company president as the person they want to run their US team. Apparently the company asked the recruiter for me as well as several other candidates In case I didn't want the job.

I have since been in the interview and apparently an offer is forthcoming... From what I understand It will be a significant raise... At least 50%... The only negative is that I would have to move a cross the country... We currently live in my wife's hometown with our kids... We live 5 miles from her family who help with kids, especially because I travel a lot for work...We are in love with our house neighborhood, schools, church, etc... We had some really rough times and are happier right now than we have ever been... Literally pinch yourself happy.

So the new job would be a senior level role with the big title and huge salary, and very large responsibility...but across the country from the blessed life we have built.

So, what to do?... Stay at the job I love, in the place I love, where I know I will be successful?... Or pick up and go for the big salary, for the new role a cross the country?

Also... Does anyone have any experience with negotiating big salary raises at existing jobs based on new job offers? (I would be ready to leave before I did this)

I appreciate your time... Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 06:07 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,537,898 times
If you make enough money where you are already happy, why are you chasing more at the expense of you family'S happiness

You can always make more but you can't buy happiness

Old 05-23-2015, 06:25 AM

134 posts, read 103,140 times
In lieu of the large increase, why not ask if you can work virtually? Ive seen lots of stories of companies allowing high execs to do this rather than lose them

Also agree with above poster........is the. extra big paycheck worth changing everyone's lives? Will your family be happy to move because you got a raise? Will the extra money make up for the loss of the happiness you have now? will you have increased expenses if you move due to housing, childcare, etc that negate a lot of the raise? Questions to ponder....

Old 05-23-2015, 06:28 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
The reality of the situation is that you may "think" you are in a good spot with the current company but that is not true in reality.
There is always someone that can take your place with a moments notice.

As far as the move, discuss it with your wife, it affects her and your children directly not anyone here.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:35 AM

14 posts, read 24,035 times
I'm not chasing anything... This was placed in front of me...

As far as expenses go, we would be moving to a great area, with a lower cost of living.

My families happiness is everything, thus the reason I am struggling... The raise is at minimum 50% more money

Old 05-23-2015, 06:42 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,537,898 times
Dont focus on the raise so much, if you make $100k does $150k give you a better life? Im guessing you are at least in that range if not higher because you said you are high up on ladder. If it was $50k to $75k, then it might make more difference but i'd question why you were making $50k in the first place even without the job offer.

Unless the money is squirreled away into retirement savings or other tax advantage accounts, 50% raise after taxes is more like 30% in some areas

Do you even want the job? I mean raise aside, would you be happy working there?

Old 05-23-2015, 07:42 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,739,820 times
I would stay. Living near family with kids is invaluable.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:28 AM

265 posts, read 404,778 times
I think the first thing you should do is have this conversation with your wife vs. bunch of random strangers on an internet forum.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:04 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,799,729 times
I started realizing in my late 30's that constantly looking or listening to other job offers is bad for my current situation. There will always be that other opportunity that pays more or gives you a bigger office. Doesn't mean squat if your wife and family aren't happy. If you're doing ok where you are and like what you're doing.....I say stay there. There's a lot of people that can't say that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment