Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2015, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 580 times

Advertisements

Hello Experts,

I want suggestion on filling of State tax and W4 form.

Regarding W4 form, My family (Wife and kid) is in India and they will be joining me in next 2-3 months. Can you Please suggest me what should be the count on my W4?

In Arizona. State tax slab is different for single and family. So As family is coming soon, should I enter details considering family or as a single?

Help in this regard is highly appreciated.

Regards
Shaikh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 09:48 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,540,391 times
If you claim 0, the maximum withholding is taken from your paycheck and the amount withheld will decrease for every +1 you add. I don't know what your tax situation is going to be so I'd be inclined to claim the 0 until you know.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:43 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,058,855 times
Generally speaking, you are taxed on your family status as of the last day of the year. So if you have a wife and child(dren) on December 31, then you can fill out your deductions as of now.

BUT, and this is important, you may be only able to take the deduction for that part of the year that they resided in the state.

Confused yet?

Let's say you are married on 12/31. You can file your returns at the married rate. But since your spouse has only been in the state/country for six months, you only get 1/2 of the married deduction.

Ultimately, what you claim for deductions now will affect your take home, but it won't affect the total amount of tax you owe. Another example:

If your tax liability at the end of the year is $5000, you will need to pay it all at once if you had nothing withheld. But if you withheld $4800 over the course of the year, you will only need to pay $200. If you withheld $5300 over the course if the year, you get a refund of $300. No matter what happens, you owe $5000, the only difference is how/when that gets paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment