Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 03:08 AM

505 posts, read 502,274 times

Advertisements

22 years old with a High School Diploma, Associate of Arts degree from CC, and a year away from my Bachelor of Science in Social Science and Community Development. Currently work full time as a line cook at a fine dining restaurant in the basement of a boutique hotel, and also work part-time as a valet for that same establishment. Last time I checked, I average about $24k a year. I worked at a fast-food pizza joint from my sophomore year of high school until the end of my first year of community college. I quit that job after accepting a [seasonal] job at an area destination resort as a prep cook. I worked at that job for 2 summers, while in between working at another pizza parlor (this time not fast-food style) until about July of last year, when I accepted the job as a line cook that I currently have. Just recently (April) started training as a valet.

I'm hoping my Bachelor degree (along with internship experience) will help me get my foot in the door with urban planning and community development, but professional level hospitality experience isn't too shabby, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 07:07 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,577 times
High School diploma, went to college, left for my first job making 33K a year with 3 classes left in school. Never went back, so no degree.

I had 7 years of financial analyst experience--I was laid off in 2012 at 48Kish a year. I was then hired into the healthcare IT (EHR systems) field at 66K a year in 2013. My salary now is 125K a year, not including my full bonus or my benefits (which are awesome--403B, telecommute, 6-7 weeks off a year, great health benefits, etc.) I have several certifications in my field. If I go back to consulting in my field, I can easily pull 200K+ a year, but wouldn't have the benefits. My eventual goal is to go back to consulting, but with an open-ended offer, where I am now, to come back when I am ready.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:38 AM

90 posts, read 203,188 times
27. Had a BS in Computer Science from a very good school (but terrible gpa). Works in Wall Street but not in one of the money generating business units. Pay is lower-mid 6 digits.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:11 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
High School diploma, went to college, left for my first job making 33K a year with 3 classes left in school. Never went back, so no degree.

I had 7 years of financial analyst experience--I was laid off in 2012 at 48Kish a year. I was then hired into the healthcare IT (EHR systems) field at 66K a year in 2013. My salary now is 125K a year, not including my full bonus or my benefits (which are awesome--403B, telecommute, 6-7 weeks off a year, great health benefits, etc.) I have several certifications in my field. If I go back to consulting in my field, I can easily pull 200K+ a year, but wouldn't have the benefits. My eventual goal is to go back to consulting, but with an open-ended offer, where I am now, to come back when I am ready.
What is your current job?

Old 06-16-2015, 10:30 AM

70 posts, read 84,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post

tell me, what is your day like? what do "you do," exactly?

Old 06-16-2015, 10:31 PM

97 posts, read 152,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
What is your current job?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoeMamma View Post
tell me, what is your day like? what do "you do," exactly?
He has a 403b, he probably works for the government or a "non-profit".

Old 06-16-2015, 10:33 PM

97 posts, read 152,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryIsMine1 View Post
He has a 403b, he probably works for the government or a "non-profit".
Sorry, I forgot to put "work" in quotes as well.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:17 AM

83 posts, read 104,508 times
I've got to learn stuff from the construction courses which are for a manager position, Supervisor position. Now I have a 2 years experience in a supervisory position.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:36 PM

164 posts, read 334,756 times
I'm 24, currently working in production and sanitation at a cheese factory which makes and packages retail cheese products for various national and store brands. Make around $40,000-$45,000/yr. Have a bachelor's degree in chemistry/geology. Varied work experience, started as a janitor, but have worked as a mail carrier and in retail. Most work experience was technical work in chemical labs (mainly water quality/nutrients), but got out of the field due to the low wages and unstable working schedules. Much happier now that I have benefits and a stable income. Not sure if I want to go back to the science field at all as my spouse (in ecology) is having a hard time finding a job that pays even minimum wage even though these jobs require bachelor's or master's degrees.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:35 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,596,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
For those willing to share I'm curious on what everyone's profession, ballpark annual income, education and work experience is. No bragging, just laying down the facts.

1. IT, Server( early 90s) Networking (late 90s and early 2000s), storage (mid 2000s-current)
2. ~150k
3. 4 year BS in MIS but education is actually continuous I study technology stuff every single day, self-taught long before college ever entered the picture.

4. work exp in IT since 1991, the DOS/WFWG days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment