Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 09:45 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,880,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
For example, I see someone who has a BSME who makes ~140K after bonuses after 4 years of experience (a ridiculous amount). I work with a room full of mechanical years, some with over a decade more experience than that who make less, FAR less.
Agreed. That guy is full of beans (read $heit). An ME that has passed the PE exam and has 4 years of experience typically makes around $70k/yr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 08:46 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,129,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
Agreed. That guy is full of beans (read $heit). An ME that has passed the PE exam and has 4 years of experience typically makes around $70k/yr.
Our engineers actually make somewhat less than that, but yes, 70K for 5 years of experience and a PE working for a bigger company would be very common.

My friend's friend worked for Boeing, and that described him just about perfectly, and that's almost exactly what he made. I don't know how much he makes now.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:44 AM

832 posts, read 1,420,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgr View Post
I'm 24, currently working in production and sanitation at a cheese factory which makes and packages retail cheese products for various national and store brands. Make around $40,000-$45,000/yr. Have a bachelor's degree in chemistry/geology. Varied work experience, started as a janitor, but have worked as a mail carrier and in retail. Most work experience was technical work in chemical labs (mainly water quality/nutrients), but got out of the field due to the low wages and unstable working schedules. Much happier now that I have benefits and a stable income. Not sure if I want to go back to the science field at all as my spouse (in ecology) is having a hard time finding a job that pays even minimum wage even though these jobs require bachelor's or master's degrees.
It's a bit off topic, but I can't understand why you're not going for fed jobs in geology. I totally would do that if I had a start over.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:45 PM

11 posts, read 8,969 times
30 years old

BFA Fine Arts
Masters in Art Education (K-12) and certified and endorsed in Multi-Cat Special Education.

3 years teaching experience, FT, over 5 years PT and volunteering.

Have been a substitute teacher, worked for AmeriCorps, Sunday School Teacher, Bible School Director, Parent Teacher Volunteer, Teacher Aide, was a Special Education Teacher, Art Teacher, and worked as a Youth Service Worker for a Residential Treatment Facility dealing with trouble and at risk youth. Also, have done my own art and sold my paintings and photographs for years (studied to be a professional photographer and had my own business, but no demand here for it.)

Presently interviewing for several Art Teacher positions, had to take a year off for surgery and recovery. But got to volunteer at local schools most of the school year.

Income as Art Teacher-- $34K
Special Ed Teacher--$39K (worked for the state)
Youth Service Worker--$22K

No matter what job above I had, I still qualified for Food Stamps, medical card and assistance... how messed up is that?

PAY YOUR TEACHERS MORE.

Looking to LEAVE WV and teach somewhere else. Interviewing in several different states, NC, MD, and FL among a few.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 1,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Our engineers actually make somewhat less than that, but yes, 70K for 5 years of experience and a PE working for a bigger company would be very common.

My friend's friend worked for Boeing, and that described him just about perfectly, and that's almost exactly what he made. I don't know how much he makes now.
70k/year with ~5 years experience is common at my company. 75k/year is the midpoint of the Engineer II technical grade band (5-8 years experience). This is for a medical device manufacturer living in a very low cost of living city in the west. PE's are not required or common place in medical device manufacturing.

In this same city, a large defense contractor was hiring Mechanical Engineers out of school at 63k/year with 5k signing bonus back in 2007. I would imagine Boeing pays their engineers very well - and if they are like most defense contractors, all accounts and work is linked to charge numbers. If you work over 40 hours a week and it is project approved, you get significant overtime. 140k/year does not seem unreasonable.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:20 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,519,677 times
AA in Electronics Technology. 24 Years retired US Navy. Wife works, so I am seriously considering career change. I am currently a contractor, non prime company, doing DOD contracts around the world. Not glamorous, and hours are 40-72 a week.
Make 40-60 K a year, not including retirement.. Which pays 80% of bills excluding food and gas..
Not living, just working and missing family..
Need to get a 40 hr a week job, just to keep sane...LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment