Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 10:08 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times

Advertisements

For those willing to share I'm curious on what everyone's profession, ballpark annual income, education and work experience is. No bragging, just laying down the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 07:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
BA and two years graduate school, but no master. Currently a manager in commercial/industrial real estate, at low 6 figures, prior work experience was a small business owner for 16 years, before that worked as a supervising management analyst at a major utility, after 5 promotions over 17 years, starting as a clerical temp.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:17 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
Analyst in health care (admin), enough to live as head of household in a house, B.A. in psychology, worked in 25 temp job assignments, answering service, pharmacy clerk, receptionist, newspaper copy editor for 10 years.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:21 AM

44 posts, read 42,455 times
Project engineer/manager, BSME coming up on 4 yrs experience post graduation. Salary is low six figure base with ~40% incentives.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:32 AM

I feel as the OP I should have shared mine.

Air traffic control
$70k+
High school, 1 year of college, Navy veteran
6+ years experience

Old 05-29-2015, 07:52 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Clinical social worker
Almost 50k
Master's degree (actually I have 2 Master's degrees)
11 years of experience

Old 05-29-2015, 08:07 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,901,347 times
It is funny I was thinking about this today.

Basically I'm a random excuse generator

Pays bank

Old 05-29-2015, 10:05 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Certified Engineering Technician

High school, a little college and near 40 years experience where experience is valued above everything else.

Below is from 2010 salary survey... I am in the purple which is pretty good for living in rural Georgia.

I'm 67 and will be retiring soon. Next year I hope to work three days a week dropping down to two days the year after that.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:24 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
I'm a toolmaker/machinist by trade.

Toolmaker Salary (United States)

Learned most on the job. I'm not sure that there are vocational programs specific to the tool maker profession, but there are plenty of CNC machining programs around. Even still, candidates go through a weeding out period. Many don't make the cut. Most is learned on the job, so you either learn fast, or you find something else to do for work.

I will probably pull 45K-50K this year. I've been laid off twice last year, and left 3 jobs. Very unstable. Michigan is a very bad state to work as a machinist. Most shops pay crap and have not invested in efficient machinery. Many of the good paying places only hire machinists for the short term, when work builds up. When it drops, they lay everyone off. I'm really thinking about starting my own business though. That's the only reason I would consider staying in this state, which has more toolmakers per capita than any other.

What comes around, goes around though. There are not many people left with the skills necessary to do the work, and the young kids want nothing to do with the trade. Wages are rising, though not fast enough. And workers have made huge sacrifices years ago. If the companies don't pay, they don't get the worker, and they can whine all they want about it.

I program CNC grinders, run boring mills, lathes, and an assortment of manual grinding equipment. Most of my work is one off, and no margin for error. At other jobs, I have worked mostly on mills, though spent a fair bit of time working on highly automated equipment, like swiss lathes. There is no shortage of things that can be learned in this business.

I would say, someone smart enough to be a good machinist can do better in another line of work. At the same time, a good machinist/toolmaker never has to look far for work. It takes me a grand total of 5 minutes to drive to work. Right now, you can quite your job in the morning and have on by lunch time. Not exaggerating either. If I wanted more money, I would eat the OT like everybody else. I'm not everybody else though. You have to fight for your fair share in this line of work.

I think being a machinist is a solid career, all things considered. If anyone wants to whine about the downsides, and there are many, I say get the heck out. No sense polluting the already rotten/bitter pool of talent. I'm a machinist because it's what I'm good at, and what I love to do. When it starts to feel like just another job though, I'm out, like any other sensible person.

Last edited by andywire; 05-29-2015 at 10:37 PM..

Old 05-30-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Certified Engineering Technician

High school, a little college and near 40 years experience where experience is valued above everything else.

Below is from 2010 salary survey... I am in the purple which is pretty good for living in rural Georgia.

I'm 67 and will be retiring soon. Next year I hope to work three days a week dropping down to two days the year after that.
Wow, that is extremely good for rural Georgia where wages tend to be lower, especially for the lower cost of living in those areas. I like reading stories like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment