Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 07:11 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,690,587 times

Advertisements

This really depends on the city and area also. Though costs are rising, its not as bad in some areas. Possibly a move, if an option would be good. Their are better lower COL cities you could live in while you try to find the right job. I know this may or may not be an option. The American Dream is still out there, it just takes a lot of time and hard work. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 07:44 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times
What very few want to admit is that white collar jobs are decaying wage wise. I think the next 5 years we could see people in IT jumping out of windows when that bubble crashes. IMO re-tool and get into the trades.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:05 PM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
What very few want to admit is that white collar jobs are decaying wage wise. I think the next 5 years we could see people in IT jumping out of windows when that bubble crashes. IMO re-tool and get into the trades.
Kinda like all the banker suicides???

Yet Another Banker Commits Suicide | The Daily Sheeple

Old 05-31-2015, 08:06 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I don't know about other places, but Juan and Pablo are driving down wages for the trades down here in Texas.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:16 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Pockets of prosperity exist around the world. Everyone likes to talk about how global the economy is today. I wonder why microeconomics is so often ignored and unappreciated.
The thing is I live in the richest town in the state, work in a nice area, very rarely need to go into the bad parts of the city, etc. My life is generally pretty easy and convenient. If you lived in the parts of Indy where there are gunshots going off every night, your opinion would be different.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:13 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Honestly, things have not changed that much since 2011. Actually I will say that things are pretty much the same except for the little things. Hipsters are still around, Justin Bieber is still around, Katy Perry is still around, the job market is pretty much the same.

Only thing is ISIS is pretty big now.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:18 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,198,499 times

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ4SSvVbhLw

Old 06-01-2015, 06:46 AM

6,458 posts, read 7,793,546 times
I’d like to help but don’t understand what you are really asking or looking for. What is your field now? Economics? Accounting? Teaching? Or does it not matter? Are you simply complaining about having no direction and therefore not getting many opportunities because of that?

The question of which cities offer the American Dream is a bit of an aggravating one to be honest. Makes it sound like you want things handed to you or that you are looking for the easy, low road. I’m sure that’s not your intention but that’s what it sounds like. The American Dream is a tough one to build – in any city. Your post sounds like you are just 8itchin’ about the situation you are in.

If you’re just ranting then ok, go ahead and I sincerely hope it makes you feel better. If you are looking for people to commiserate with about the current employment environment, you’ll find many here and everywhere. It’s a tough world. And although people who are having a hard time finding good employment would like to think this is different, there really are many similarities with past generations getting gainful employment. I know it didn’t come easy for me anyway.

So you’re not going to find the PanaceaVille you’re looking for. People aren’t going to run to you and give you a house or a good, stable career and 2 kids and a dog. You have to build it yourself, that’s the American Dream.

Maybe I’m naive but I love this country and am a strong believer that the American Dream is still here for people, either by way of luck, or contacts, or effort, or education, or any number of other things. You’re in a place where tech is a heavy field? Take some time (and maybe loans if you need to) and enroll in an in demand programming language or something. The choices you made put you in the position you are in. That’s not a bad thing, I’m not criticizing your choices. Own them, take stock of where you are, shift if/when you need to.

I won’t get into the details of how to do it, but will end with saying that the opportunity to do it is there – staring you right in your face.

I wish you the best of luck.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:22 AM

299 posts, read 377,805 times
I have an undergrade BBA. Have for several years. Any more a BBA is like what a high school degree was several years ago. Best bet go back and get a specialized Masters degree.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:25 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I’d like to help but don’t understand what you are really asking or looking for. What is your field now? Economics? Accounting? Teaching? Or does it not matter? Are you simply complaining about having no direction and therefore not getting many opportunities because of that?

The question of which cities offer the American Dream is a bit of an aggravating one to be honest. Makes it sound like you want things handed to you or that you are looking for the easy, low road. I’m sure that’s not your intention but that’s what it sounds like. The American Dream is a tough one to build – in any city. Your post sounds like you are just 8itchin’ about the situation you are in.

If you’re just ranting then ok, go ahead and I sincerely hope it makes you feel better. If you are looking for people to commiserate with about the current employment environment, you’ll find many here and everywhere. It’s a tough world. And although people who are having a hard time finding good employment would like to think this is different, there really are many similarities with past generations getting gainful employment. I know it didn’t come easy for me anyway.

So you’re not going to find the PanaceaVille you’re looking for. People aren’t going to run to you and give you a house or a good, stable career and 2 kids and a dog. You have to build it yourself, that’s the American Dream.

Maybe I’m naive but I love this country and am a strong believer that the American Dream is still here for people, either by way of luck, or contacts, or effort, or education, or any number of other things. You’re in a place where tech is a heavy field? Take some time (and maybe loans if you need to) and enroll in an in demand programming language or something. The choices you made put you in the position you are in. That’s not a bad thing, I’m not criticizing your choices. Own them, take stock of where you are, shift if/when you need to.

I won’t get into the details of how to do it, but will end with saying that the opportunity to do it is there – staring you right in your face.

I wish you the best of luck.
I get the point about getting things handed to them. However, some places are just unreasonably tough to make a go of it. If I had stayed back home in TN, I would still be spinning my wheels because the jobs aren't there. Some places (like the Bay Area) are too expensive for a lot of people to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment