Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 07:57 AM

91 posts, read 112,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Drug cartel employees? Career criminals? Meth cooks? Moonshiners? Seems like there are a few worse than "stock brokers". As a matter of fact in this day and age "stock brokers" are fading away anyhow.
This made me LOL. You're absolutely right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 08:36 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,673,410 times
Beneficial: Trash collector's
perhaps not the most beneficial but since no one had mentioned them already, i felt that I would. My dad told me a long time ago "What would the world look like without garbage men?" No place I would want to live!

Detrimental: Lobbyist. I think lobbyist should have to be trash collector's for a year, it might give them a better view on life. Not saying all lobbyist are bad, just not sure what good they do society...

Old 06-07-2015, 12:00 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,360,627 times
If the OP is simplistic enough to believe in "mankind", "humanity", "society", or whatever the do-ggoders want to call it, and that there is some over-riding "greater common good" for which an approved and supposedly-enlightened clique should speak, then (s)he is sowing the seeds of Fascism.

And the scary part is that there apparently a lot of wannabees here who are willing to take the bait in return for the privilege of sitting in judgment.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:02 PM

29,856 posts, read 24,972,157 times
Beneficial: Too many to name. Most people who get up, go to work, and to contribute towards society have my respect.

Detrimental: Many politicians, lobbyist, some lawyers... There are few professions that are wholly detrimental. Their cumulative impact can be negative however.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:35 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,127,710 times
Detrimental: those telemarketers that call during dinner to try to sell you things you don't want. Ditto the charities that do this. It makes me feel a lot less than generous when they call me.

I agree that Multi-level marketers are the winners for most detrimental. *shudders*

Edited to add: How could I forget the super creepy scammers. I have gotten a few calls from a guy who pretends he's from Windows and is calling about my computer. I also got a really creepy threatening email pretending to be from the IRS. I looked up the IRS online and it was a different number than the email. I called the number in the email and a guy immediately answered "Internal Revenue Service." HAHA seriously, I'm to believe I call the IRS and a human picks up the phone immediately. This one made me so mad I reported it to my ISP and the IRS.

Happily, I recently moved to a new area code and got a new phone number. It's been a lot quieter so far. *knocks on wood*

Last edited by Fiona13; 06-07-2015 at 12:48 PM..

Old 06-07-2015, 01:24 PM

639 posts, read 1,074,033 times
Beneficial: Nurses, doctors, educators

Detrimental: The dregs of the advertising world, such as spammers and telemarketers. Also, the majority of lawyers. In both cases we need some people to do these jobs, but really there are far too many lawyers and people showering us with ads, and their effect is purely negative. If both professions were slashed by 75 percent the country would be a better place.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:16 PM

230 posts, read 526,456 times
I don't know about beneficial but I'd imagine any job where you can do what you want to do. Especially if it involves expressing your creativity, and having some power and independence.

Their are several that are detrimental. Some that come to mind are:

Restaurant jobs- these are just bad environments where people act like kids in high school and people are incredibly shallow.

Call center jobs (sometimes)

Old 06-07-2015, 06:25 PM

7,200 posts, read 9,353,135 times
Beneficial: Engineers. We make life better for most people.

Detrimental: Lawyers. They just add friction.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:18 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,625,260 times
Beneficial - farmers

Detrimental - 0.01% who own the greatest wealth and control the media, industry, politics, etc. They have completely ruined our country.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:40 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,933,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Did you hear that on O'Reilly?
No, I made it up, but if Bill O'Reilly wants to use it, that's fine with me. Do you disagree with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment