Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 08:21 AM

19 posts, read 29,065 times

Advertisements

I work in a small office as an admin assistant. My boss/supervisor is the owner of the company so I can't complain about this to anyone else. There's no HR.

My boss keeps asking me to assemble these huge office chairs and move heavy boxes around. I have a shoulder injury and was told by a doctor to refrain from heavy lifting. I've gone to physical therapy for this for months at a time and my boss knows this.

I even told him I can't be moving the boxes. I looked at the side of one... It weighs 48 pounds! I'm a 5"2 girl who weighs about 110 pounds. Even if I didn't have a shoulder injury I would have a lot of trouble lifting this.

I've been putting it off, and just yesterday he brought it up again. He asked if I remembered the chairs implying I should go screw with them. I wasn't in the mood to have the same discussion, so I said "I remember."

Wtf is going on here? He's basically begging for an on the job injury or workers comp case...? I don't get it. How do I make him stop? I've told him numerous times I can't be dragging 50 pound boxes around and lifting heavy pieces out of them. I signed up for a desk job, and nowhere in the description did it say anything about being able to lift a certain amount of weight.

I'm kind of baffled at this point. I'm probably just going to wait for him to bring it up again and tell him I'm unable to do this and I'll get a doctors note if necessary. I just don't understand why he keeps pressing it. I think it's kind of pathetic for a grown man to be asking a tiny girl to be doing this, especially when the office is full of men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 09:04 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,243 times
Find a new job?

The line has to be drawn somewhere. Are there any other employees that could do it for you or help you out?

Old 06-11-2015, 09:06 AM

I'm planning on finding a new job after I go on vacation in July. Not just for this but for many reasons. Technically there's plenty of people who COULD help, but can they bother to get off their ass and help for ten minutes? Doubtful. :P

Old 06-11-2015, 09:08 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane1888 View Post
I work in a small office as an admin assistant. My boss/supervisor is the owner of the company so I can't complain about this to anyone else. There's no HR.

My boss keeps asking me to assemble these huge office chairs and move heavy boxes around. I have a shoulder injury and was told by a doctor to refrain from heavy lifting. I've gone to physical therapy for this for months at a time and my boss knows this.

I even told him I can't be moving the boxes. I looked at the side of one... It weighs 48 pounds! I'm a 5"2 girl who weighs about 110 pounds. Even if I didn't have a shoulder injury I would have a lot of trouble lifting this.

I've been putting it off, and just yesterday he brought it up again. He asked if I remembered the chairs implying I should go screw with them. I wasn't in the mood to have the same discussion, so I said "I remember."

Wtf is going on here? He's basically begging for an on the job injury or workers comp case...? I don't get it. How do I make him stop? I've told him numerous times I can't be dragging 50 pound boxes around and lifting heavy pieces out of them. I signed up for a desk job, and nowhere in the description did it say anything about being able to lift a certain amount of weight.

I'm kind of baffled at this point. I'm probably just going to wait for him to bring it up again and tell him I'm unable to do this and I'll get a doctors note if necessary. I just don't understand why he keeps pressing it. I think it's kind of pathetic for a grown man to be asking a tiny girl to be doing this, especially when the office is full of men.
That cracks me up. Imagine if your boss told a man to get coffee, and he refused, especially when the office is "full of women".

It sounds like you're not the right person for the job, since it involves tasks you're physically unable or unwilling to perform.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:11 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,243 times
Quote:
I'm planning on finding a new job after I go on vacation in July. Not just for this but for many reasons. Technically there's plenty of people who COULD help, but can they bother to get off their ass and help for ten minutes? Doubtful. :P
Sad. I love helping other people with their jobs honestly. To me it's a brief moment of freedom from my boring job and something different, something new. Sorry no one will help.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
That cracks me up. Imagine if your boss told a man to get coffee, and he refused, especially when the office is "full of women".

It sounds like you're not the right person for the job, since it involves tasks you're physically unable or unwilling to perform.
Um, that's not the same thing at all? Anyone can get coffee, it's not physically challenging. However, not everyone can perform physical labor and lift heavy things. This is why even places such as wal mart list "must be able to lift ___ pounds" and subsequently why I applied to this job. Because there were no lifting requirements.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:58 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:

Stop being so passive-aggressive about it and tell him per doctor's orders you can't lift over ___ pounds. Get a doctor's note. All you are doing is postponing the inevitable blowup. Go to him before he comes back to you. Because then, he might just be firing you.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:28 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
If she doesn't do it, even with a doctor's note, she's probably likely to be fired as it is. Best to start looking for another job.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:47 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,021 times
Agree with convextech

Email him and let him know you cannot assemble the chairs or desks with your shoulder injury (per doctors orders that you don't lift XXX), but that you could find someone online that might be able to provide assembly service. Then ask if he would like for you to do that or if he has other suggestions.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:51 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,985 times
Quote:
... especially when the office is full of men.
But you have to be able to encourage them, it takes some skills to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment