Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 07:47 AM

19 posts, read 29,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
If you want to transfer to the other department, talk to a manager or a trusted co-worker in that department and start asking how you can get transferred into that department. Maybe they will tell you that a new opening will be coming soon and they ask you to apply to it. Don't ask your manager ( at this point) because your manager doesn't want to lose you to another department. Instead, come up with a networking plan to get you tranferred into the new department. I did this before and it really works. You go directly to the new manager and sell yourself as someone that is a perfect fit for that team. Then once their is an opening, they will have their sights on you!

Don't rant in your annual review. That will burn bridges and you need this job for a reference when you find your next job.

If you cannot get transferred to the other department, then start looking at getting another job in a better part of town and doing something that is more in line with your skills/degree/career plan.

The problem with taking a job - that becomes your 'experience' that will be use for getting the next position.

Don't EVER EVER EVER rant or burn bridges like you are suggesting. Because - even if you never use them as a reference - someone might go to them to learn info about you anyway. People talk. For example, when I was on an interview someone that was at the new company called a former co-worker of mine to ask about me. I never gave this former co-worker as a reference. But this person at the new job had this former co-worker in their network so they unofficially asked about me. It got back to me because I had personal connections to the former co-worker. But my point is - things about you (negative or positive) can get back to future employers.
Thank you. This is actually really good advice because I feel like the biggest thing holding me back here is how valuable I am to my boss and this branch. I'm the only person with my position here, and mark my words, he isn't going to be eager to ship me off across the state to another office and retrain another person.

More than likely I think if I ever got a promotion he would want me to retain these responsibilities which I can't stand as well as taking on additional work. I understand this is how promotions work, but I want to move away from the secretary stuff entirely. I feel like my boss is my biggest roadblock for changing gears to the career path I want in this company. That's why I think it would be cleaner to just leave and find a new job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 08:48 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,555,667 times
So, you're an admin. What position do you feel you deserve (or are entitled to) with a biology degree? You seem to think very highly of yourself, but never forget that you are replaceable.

By all means, burn bridges. It will help the other candidates you are competing with in the future, who surely will be more deserving.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:53 AM

142 posts, read 179,043 times
Red face It's not worth it....

Completely not worth burning bridges. Burned bridges can come back and affect your future in ways that you'd never expect. Don't do it.

If you are unhappy, get another job and quit. Voting with your feet is the professional thing to do.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:41 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane1888 View Post
Anyways, to all the sincere people: thanks for taking the time to read. To all the weird old people calling me entitled: I bet soon you'll feel "entitled" to cash your social security checks and sit on your asses after screwing up the economy for an entire generation of people. "Entitled" is an uncreative insult that aging people use to describe their frustration for the pathetic economy they created for their children and grandchildren. At some point it becomes easier to blame the victims than to own up to the mess you created, I know.
Wow.....good luck in your career.
Please do NOT go into any field requiring empathy.

As for your question, I agree with the other comments, do not burn bridges. If you want to be treated as a professional, act like a professional. Quality hiring managers can easily 'smell' bad attitudes.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:16 AM

19 posts, read 29,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
So, you're an admin. What position do you feel you deserve (or are entitled to) with a biology degree? You seem to think very highly of yourself, but never forget that you are replaceable.

By all means, burn bridges. It will help the other candidates you are competing with in the future, who surely will be more deserving.
It's funny how old people who went to college back when it was practically free are the quickest to throw around the word "entitled." People who grew up in a generation where you could get a job with a pension and support a family of 5 WITHOUT a college education. But no, it's the younger generation that's entitled. The kids who are forking over 200k for a worthless degree that lands them a job at Starbucks. Maybe the problem with my generation is they aren't entitled ENOUGH. You know what I think all people in a first world country who spend 16+ years of their lives are entitled to? A decent job. Something your generation had, but half of mine never will.

And these people will sit on their asses feeling entitled to cash social security checks which they're robbing from my generation's pay checks... Since the old people messed it up so badly that it won't exist when we're older.

But keep going on about how we're entitled because we get pissed off about having to work service jobs when the schools, banks, and parents promised us college education would at least land us a job with some dignity.

Don't worry, you'll all be "entitled" to a long nursing home stay soon enough.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:04 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Quote:
It's funny how old people who went to college back when it was practically free are the quickest to throw around the word "entitled." People who grew up in a generation where you could get a job with a pension and support a family of 5 WITHOUT a college education. But no, it's the younger generation that's entitled. The kids who are forking over 200k for a worthless degree that lands them a job at Starbucks. Maybe the problem with my generation is they aren't entitled ENOUGH. You know what I think all people in a first world country who spend 16+ years of their lives are entitled to? A decent job. Something your generation had, but half of mine never will.

And these people will sit on their asses feeling entitled to cash social security checks which they're robbing from my generation's pay checks... Since the old people messed it up so badly that it won't exist when we're older.

But keep going on about how we're entitled because we get pissed off about having to work service jobs when the schools, banks, and parents promised us college education would at least land us a job with some dignity.

Hey don't lump all of us in your generation into your category.... I'm not even close to being upset about having to work my way up even with a degree. It's part of the process. Sure... generations before ours made mistakes but so have our generation. And those mistakes will get passed on to our kids. They're lessons learned.

I have a good job.... and if it goes south, I'll find another good job. It's a mentality more than anything else. You have the mentality that many kids who think they're entitled to be handed a job have.... you want the paycheck, but aren't working hard or smart enough to get it. So far in this thread most of what I have seen has been complaints about not wanting to do work that it seems like you feel is beneath you. Then you rant on about how you're such a valuable admin that the company couldn't bear to lose you.

Newsflash... we are ALL replaceable. Even CEOs.

Those of us who keep good jobs or that advance are the ones who are grinding day in and out to make a path for ourselves. Not complaining that someone else should make it for us.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:25 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo_Urns View Post
If you want to take the "wild" approach (and risk pissing off your manager in the process), you might as well do it in such a way to maximize the potential benefit. Take a look at your complaints:

"The training was poor (almost nonexistent)": That's a shame, but if you have already come up to speed on your job, nothing the manager can do at this point in time. This just stirs up anger, with no chance of benefitting you (although it may benefit the next new hire)

"the coworkers are rude and condescending" Sucks, but nothing your manger can do about it

"the office is in a bad part of town" Sucks, but realistically, your manger wont do anything about it

"and the industry is of no interest to me" Your problem. Your manger will suggest that you find a different industry to work in that is of interest to you.

Get the idea? Why bother bringing this stuff up? Asking for a raise or different responsibilities is fine; if your in a position where you really don't need the job, then go ahead and ask for a 50% raise, or a totally different role. But mentioning all of the above just creates friction, with no possibility of benefit to you.
'
OP -- I'm using this guys response because he's bolded what I wanted to say.

You can say what you want, but a person who wants a job now doesn't burn bridges. Sometimes the business world is small, and you may find the person you burned is in a position to burn back later.

As a small business owner, I don't want clap trap like you're writing, or I wouldn't ask for you to give feedback. There's nothing wrong with criticizing a business, but it has to be CONSTRUCTIVE.

How about training can be improved by... and think of ways for them to make it better. That tells them you weren't happy with the training AND doesn't **** them off.

Your co-workers are rude and condescending because they are stuck like you, or you don't really know it all and you act like you do. That's not even worth mentioning, because that's not their issue unless it affects work performance. If it affects work performance, you can talk about the personality conflicts and how they get in the way.

The office is in a bad place in town -- because rents are cheaper there and they can save money. That's not even worth mentioning, UNLESS you have clients who come to you and complain about coming there. That affects the bottom line.

And you not being interested in the business? TOTALLY on you, and that would get you fired, and at least where I am, if I took that to the EDD you wouldn't get unemployment, because you trying to get fired is the same as quitting, and you won't get unemployment. If that is your end goal, it will blow up in your face.

Seriously -- writing what you want in the way you are saying is literally cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:33 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,555,667 times
Quote:

Rant at me all you want, but you are misguided. I am not part of the generation you are whining about. I am 33 and yes, college was practically free for me because I earned a scholarship. I was also not too proud to go to a state university and live at home while attending classes full time and working part time. I realized I was fortunate for my situation and got a degree that would provide different options. My first job out of school paid $11 an hour. I didn't whine that I was owed more. I went out and proved myself and got higher level positions.

Your attitude sucks. Life isn't fair and nobody owes you a thing. The sooner you accept that, the better off you will be. If you continue to look down at people and positions you feel are beneath you, you will never get ahead. You think managers don't notice that attitude?

Maybe your job isn't great. Rather than **** and moan and tell them how much they suck, go out and find something more to your liking. If you burn bridges it very well may come back to haunt you. I don't know how big of an area you live in, but I have found the world gets a lot smaller when you are job hunting.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:13 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,023,969 times
Quote:
RIP thousands of people's basic human dignity

Is there such a thing as a well qualified admin? Honestly a special Ed high school kid could do most of this stuff on a bad day. Your company sounds pretty anal about hiring decisons. Next time shuffle them up, grab a random resume, and you've got your next office drone maid
I hope you grasp the irony that on another thread you whined about not being able to do your job of assembling office chairs...

Old 06-16-2015, 02:27 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,539,864 times
Hi OP! If you've:

- got your degree
-paid off all your student loans
-have enough $$ to live for a year
-have a fabulous support system behind you
-have the ability to further advance your education

and:

-don't really like your current job
-feel it's mundane and mind-numbing
-feel you are a valuable asset to this company
-claim this company can't/won't take advantage of these valuable assets

can you please just answer this ONE question right here (no embellishments, no wall o' text pointing out what's wrong with THEM, just one answer:

Why are you still there?

thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment