Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 01:05 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times

Advertisements

I have come to the conclusion that it is something about me that prevents me from being offered advancement. Regardless of what I do, training I receive or certificates I obtain, I am still only offered entry level positions.

Ironically I am given advanced tasks but just not given the position that those tasks really represent. For example, among other things, I do payroll, ar/ap, all collections, 90% of the companies purchasing and cost savings under the title Administrative Assistant. Which was a step up from the title of receptionist. I still do all those tasks to.

Any one else experience this rut that you cannot climb to better income?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 01:26 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
I don't think I was ever offered advancement.

So you did get promoted from receptionist to admin assistant? That's something isn't it?

Most people do things they think are advanced tasks. Besides, do you think those things you do are not a part of assisting administration? Is there some other job you think you are qualified for that is higher level? Or do you just think you should do what you do but be called VP of Administration and given 500k/yr? You can't just complain that people aren't giving you what you think you deserve. You must make it happen for yourself.

I wish you the best of luck.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:52 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Is there some other job you think you are qualified for that is higher level?
That's what I wondered also.

OP, what are you qualified to do that you are not doing now?
Do you have a degree? If so, in what?

Old 06-18-2015, 03:52 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
I 3rd the above, those things are part of your original duties... sure some might have it easier so you think you are doing things beyond job position but those are part of it...

Old 06-18-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
That's what I wondered also.

OP, what are you qualified to do that you are not doing now?
Do you have a degree? If so, in what?
No degree it lots of job experience in a few different careers, banking, manufacturing, insurance, etc. I have worked as an insurance agent and insurance adjuster. Both have significant opportunity to make a good income, but again did not pan out for me. I switched to a different industry to try a go there. I was hired to answer phones and greet visitors but they quickly learned I had way more experience, so I started absorbing tasks and now I do a long list of things and still have not gotten a promotion or income increase other than what they give every employee yearly.

They changed my title when a customer indicated it looked odd that the "receptionist" was handling their account.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:02 PM

Yes... sure before you did more than a receptionist's job but what you do now is still the assistant's job

Old 06-18-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Yes... sure before you did more than a receptionist's job but what you do now is still the assistant's job
Not exactly. Never before have I worked somewhere that purchasing is an assistants job. I also handle other compliance type duties but can't discuss the specifics.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:27 PM

765 posts, read 986,799 times
As a 9 to 5er I definitely stay away from climbing the ladder but thats me not because I meant to but because its my choice. A JOB IS JUST A JOB

But if you are looking to advance your career, working harder and goin above and beyond is the key.
The competition out there is tough for advancing but you have to prove yourself that you are worthy to any one you choose to work for.

What is your career anyways?

Old 06-18-2015, 04:34 PM

since I don't know what you do... I'm using using payscale definition...

Quote:
Often, administrative assistants also have secretarial duties, such as accounting, data entry, billing, inventory, record-keeping, correspondence, and sales, so strong typing skills (including 10-key) and familiarity with Microsoft Office programs are very important. They may also work directly with customers and perform customer service tasks, such as those of a receptionist. For specialized work such as accounting, they may need to demonstrate relevant past experience. Some positions also require candidates to be familiar with particular software depending on the duties of the job.
seems like the bolded would be include purchasing?

just because you didn't do it before, doesn't mean the assistant "can't" do it... just that you didn't do it at a past employer, the current one might expect their assistant to do it.

besides comparing the two salaries
Purchasing Assistant Salary (United States)
Administrative Assistant Salary (United States)
they both make about the same, so unless you are working over time to do both jobs, I don't see how doing one job of same pay grade would net you more money :S

Old 06-18-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
since I don't know what you do... I'm using using payscale definition...

seems like the bolded would be include purchasing?

just because you didn't do it before, doesn't mean the assistant "can't" do it... just that you didn't do it at a past employer, the current one might expect their assistant to do it.

besides comparing the two salaries
Purchasing Assistant Salary (United States)
Administrative Assistant Salary (United States)
they both make about the same, so unless you are working over time to do both jobs, I don't see how doing one job of same pay grade would net you more money :S
I am not a purchasing assistant as I do not report to someone above me that does purchasing. I do 90% of the buying of all supplies and materials used at the company. I negotiate pricing and research. I do not just make orders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment