Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 04:28 PM

23 posts, read 33,163 times

Advertisements

Interesting discussion I had with my friends.

They were saying how poor citizens (legal or otherwise) get better benefits than the middle class: free healthcare, free food, free educational programs etc.

One friend compared it to hotels. If you go with the cheaper ones, they will include free breakfast, wifi, parking, etc. But sometimes if you pay more, you don't get so many free amenities.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 04:32 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,598,681 times
You can be poor any time you want if you think it is so great.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:42 PM

23 posts, read 33,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
You can be poor any time you want if you think it is so great.
It's not comparing poor to rich.

The point is, if you're poor and not working so hard, or working your butt off as a lower-middle-class individual, you get the same in return.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:50 PM

8,050 posts, read 10,640,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBustamonte View Post

One friend compared it to hotels. If you go with the cheaper ones, they will include free breakfast, wifi, parking, etc. But sometimes if you pay more, you don't get so many free amenities.
BUT, you get to stay in a nicer place with nicer people at the nicer hotel. That is the difference. I struggle to make ends meet at my "just up from minimum" wage job - I make "just enough" not to qualify for those benefits you're talking about. Sometimes, that is very irritating to me. However, because of my diligent resolve to pay my bills, and that "just up from minimum" wage job, I was able to qualify for my own, modest little home, in a decent neighborhood. And THAT is the difference. Many that live the life you speak of do get a lot of government benefits, but they don't live in nice areas or with nice people, most have to rent in places I would not want to live. My own home, a nice safe neighborhood, that to me, is priceless, and worth the struggle.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:57 PM

309 posts, read 516,015 times
Today's responsible middle class scrimp and live like they are poorer than those who qualify for numerous freebies that the middle class pay for.

Middle class pay for others first, then pay for themselves, and finally try saving the remaining few dollars that the government still is cooking up ways to snatch up.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:20 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
I went from $24k to upper $50k range from 1/1/2014 to 1/1/2015. My life was far better with more money than less.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:03 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,002 times
I am a lifelong low wage worker (under $15 per hour) and never qualified for any government assistance. The welfare king/queen is really a myth for the most part.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:16 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,325,212 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily Pad View Post
Today's responsible middle class scrimp and live like they are poorer than those who qualify for numerous freebies that the middle class pay for.

Middle class pay for others first, then pay for themselves, and finally try saving the remaining few dollars that the government still is cooking up ways to snatch up.
I think this is spot on. A lot of these poor low income people live paycheck to paycheck. They spend their money as sooN as it comes in. Sadly my husband and I spend much of what we earn on our mortgage and car payments but we do have quite a bit left over to save. I don't think I'd prefer to be poor, no. I have a nice future ahead of me based on how I'm handling my finances now. I also think this 'luck' that poor people are having right now is going to run out. There will be a new president in office soon.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:22 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
There is probably a point where it is better to earn less than more. But it is an incredibly foolish and shortsighted thing to do.

To get free food, you need to have a family of three with zero income to gain $478 in food stamps (TANF). Once you start earning even a little money your food stamp allotment starts to decrease, until it is phased out.

yee, you will also qualify for Medicaid and section 8 housing, but you won't have resources for anything else. Plus, all of these programs have pretty substantial reporting requirements, so you spend a fair bit of timing staying qualified.

Almost any FT job with an ok wage will give you a better standard of living, with more potential to earn.

So your choice is terrible living conditions, with just enough food to not starve, staring at a blank wall, or go to work to earn enough money to pay for food and clothing with the ability to build your resume and skills to improve your lot in life.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:59 AM

850 posts, read 902,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I am a lifelong low wage worker (under $15 per hour) and never qualified for any government assistance. The welfare king/queen is really a myth for the most part.
You have to be dirt poor to qualify for government assistance working minimum wage 7.25 at 40 hours a week won't qualify you for government assistance. It's like it's only designed for the unemployed to qualify for assistance defiantly not for anyone works 40 hours regardless of the hourly wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment