Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2015, 08:47 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,953,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh2k19 View Post
Walmart has 2.2 millions employees, and can't afford to pay everyone $16.00 per hour. Costco is much smaller, than Walmart, and has a completely different customer base than Wal-Mart. Also,Costco has great marketing to make customers believe they are saving money.
Surely you jest. According to Fortune, Walmart ranks #1 in amount of revenue they accumulated in 2015. The idea that the smaller and less wealthy Costco can afford to pay its employees more, while the larger far wealthier Walmart can't is laughable. Therefore I laugh. LOL.

Fortune 500 - Fortune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 09:44 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Sorry but I guess I missed something, when did I claim that they build Sam's or Costco in areas with 20-40k people?
Actually, our nearest Costco is in Issaquah, WA Population 33,566. There is also one in Burlington, WA, population 8,499, and another in Covington, WA population 18,830.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:01 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,165,175 times
Quote:
Sorry but I guess I missed something, when did I claim that they build Sam's or Costco in areas with 20-40k people?
The part where you said Costco's are in all sorts of areas when I responded to the original post saying many Walmart's are located in rural areas, whereas Costco's are located in more suburban/urban areas where COL is typically higher and subsequently hourly wages/salaries will be higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Actually, our nearest Costco is in Issaquah, WA Population 33,566. There is also one in Burlington, WA, population 8,499, and another in Covington, WA population 18,830.
I don't think suburbs of Seattle count as rural. The metro area population of Seattle (where Costco was founded so we can expect more than in most areas) is 3.7 million.

Where is the Costco in Joplin, MO? Dodge City, KS? Fort Smith, AR?

Old 12-01-2015, 10:09 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,229,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh2k19 View Post
Walmart has 2.2 millions employees, and can't afford to pay everyone $16.00 per hour. Costco is much smaller, than Walmart, and has a completely different customer base than Wal-Mart. Also,Costco has great marketing to make customers believe they are saving money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Surely you jest. According to Fortune, Walmart ranks #1 in amount of revenue they accumulated in 2015. The idea that the smaller and less wealthy Costco can afford to pay its employees more, while the larger far wealthier Walmart can't is laughable. Therefore I laugh. LOL.

Fortune 500 - Fortune
It stands to reason Walmart would be #1 in revenue, as they have 5000 stores across the U.S., and 1.4 million employees in the U.S., vs. Costco, with 474 U.S. stores, and 135,000 employees in the U.S. More stores and more employees should be generating more revenue, although Costco has been gaining on Walmart in the revenue department, more recently.

What really counts is profit margin, and Walmart is the winner here, too. Costco's sales per employee are twice what Walmart does, so if Walmart were to pay $16/hr. minimum, and leave everything else as is, what happens? As far as revenue, nothing. As far as sales volume, nothing. As far as profit margin, lower. To maintain their profit margin with a higher base wage rate, they could raise prices, or they would probably have to close less profitable stores, and focus on those stores with higher sales volume, and reduce the workforce at stores that remain open. They would probably end up with less revenue, but might be able to maintain profit margin by cutting employment and store locations.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:16 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
The part where you said Costco's are in all sorts of areas when I responded to the original post saying many Walmart's are located in rural areas, whereas Costco's are located in more suburban/urban areas where COL is typically higher and subsequently hourly wages/salaries will be higher.
That's silly it sounds like you just want to argue. My comment was directly related to comments in the thread that implied that Costco only builds stores in high income areas. As far as 'where' Costco doesn't have stores, I don't know and I don't care..geezus

Old 12-01-2015, 10:26 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,165,175 times
Quote:
That's silly it sounds like you just want to argue. My comment was directly related to comments in the thread that implied that Costco only builds stores in high income areas. As far as 'where' Costco doesn't have stores, I don't know and I don't care..geezus
It's not silly, because that entire discussion started by me talking about comparisons in hourly wages. How are rural vs. suburban/urban areas not different in cost of living? I said many of Walmart's stores are in very rural areas, whereas almost all of Costco's stores are in suburban/urban areas, which will in and of itself lead to differing wages. I even said despite all that Costco likely still pays more, but I think all of the people working at Walmarts in Joplin, MO size towns starting at $9-10/hr bring down the reported average wage. Meanwhile those same people living in Seattle, working at Costco are starting out at $12-13/hr. What has more purchasing power? $9 in Joplin, or $13 in Bellevue, Washington? According to a COL calculator they are roughly equivalent.

Cost of living: How far will my salary go in another city? - CNNMoney

Old 12-05-2015, 11:01 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,197,026 times
I worked at Walmart in college and basically every week they were firing multiple cashiers for incompetence.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:21 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,022,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
I agree with your statement. Walmart wants them to work like dogs for $9 an hour but they want to know why half of their employees steal merchandise from them and they have such a high turnover rate. Pay your employees a decent wage and you have more loyalty. All of the Walton kids were born with a silver spoon in their mouth when daddy Sam Walton left the company to them. The Walton's fourtune is about a 145 billion dollars with each child being worth 35 billion dollars on average. You can't tell me that can't afford to pay their employees an effective wage even Kroger, Publix, and Aldi start their cashiers and associates of at $10-11 an hour. My aunt worked for Walmart for 20 years and what she got from them was a whopping wage of $13 an hour as a department manager. I don't blame you from not wanting to shop at Walmart/ SAMs because who wants to support a company that treats their employees like dirt because the Walton kids are greedy and selfish and want all the profits for themselves.
Hourly rate doesn't make people dishonest. Many people making a low wage would never steal and some making a high wage would...

Quote:
Originally Posted by henriInCary View Post
Personally, I believe that customers should take a philosophical stand, when it comes to these things. Walmart business practices is one of the main reasons income inequality is so bad in this country. I have a walmart 2 minutes from my house and Costco about 15 miles away. But I prefer to drive the extra miles to support Costco with my $$$, because I truly believe in what they doing. But, it is a personal decision.
If you don't like Walmart your answer should be to pay more and shop at small stores in the neighborhood. Trouble is all those griping about their wages like their $4 t shirts which is totally hypocritical.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:27 AM

341 posts, read 412,162 times
Costco does charge you $55.00 a year to shop there.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:02 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPII View Post
Costco does charge you $55.00 a year to shop there.

The customer base tends to be more affluent. So you need workers of better quality than what Walmart hires. And of course for better quality employees you need to shell out some money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment