Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 11:05 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
Well, I just want to get into a field with good job prospects . I believe that lots of other fields would have better job prospects than marketing. Tons of people have marketing degrees and it seems like anyone I have known who is a marketer changes jobs every year.

Yeah I want to go back to school. I have been considering it for a while now. The film industry was only something I thought of doing because people say it is one of the hot jobs right now in Atlanta where I live, but I think you really have to know someone to get in. I guess it is like that for most fields now anyway
Marketing and marketing related jobs are fine.

It doesn't matter the degree you have. It matters how efficient you are at performing a task that somebody is paying you for.

Once you get your foot in the door and stick with a job, you will be able to do it more efficiently and you will get paid more based on that.

If you want to major in Civil or Mechanical Engineering because you are interested in them, then do it.

If you major in Electrical Engineering because you think you'll make $, then MAYBE you'll be making 20K a year more than you would in a marketing related job 15 years from now.

Is that really worth it to do something you have no interest in at best or at worst hate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 11:19 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
2.3 GPA in marketing major? Sorry man, but you need to consider digging ditches. Marketing is a breeze major.

Do you have any sort of job now ? Its almost 10 years since you graduated.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:54 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Marketing and marketing related jobs are fine.

It doesn't matter the degree you have. It matters how efficient you are at performing a task that somebody is paying you for.

Once you get your foot in the door and stick with a job, you will be able to do it more efficiently and you will get paid more based on that.

If you want to major in Civil or Mechanical Engineering because you are interested in them, then do it.

If you major in Electrical Engineering because you think you'll make $, then MAYBE you'll be making 20K a year more than you would in a marketing related job 15 years from now.

Is that really worth it to do something you have no interest in at best or at worst hate?
I have more of an interest in Engineering than marketing , regardless of whether or not I would make much more. I like math and science. I have been out of school so long so I worry about being able to handle those difficult courses. thats my biggest obstacle/worry. I used to be good at them in high school, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
2.3 GPA in marketing major? Sorry man, but you need to consider digging ditches. Marketing is a breeze major.

Do you have any sort of job now ? Its almost 10 years since you graduated.
It was hard for me to balance working full time, being a crappy relationship, and going to school at that age. Things might work out better now.

I work at a warehouse currently. Dying to get out . The only reason I took this job is because I couldn't find a marketing job and I was desperate to make rent and my ex-roomie used to work at this same company so she got me the job.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:32 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,243 times
OP, I might have missed it, but what type of work have you done since you graduated? 2007 was awhile ago. What have you been working in? Have you developed any new skills over the time that can easily transfer into a new career?

Old 07-21-2015, 12:37 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,744 times
I would advise against going back to school. Have you tried staffing company to find you marketing related job? they can get your foot in the door. Marketing is a broad field and anything from "administrative assistant" to "social media marketing" can fit into it. I know a girl who took a job in fast food restaurant & worked her way up to marketing department from there.

I would highly suggest you look in to technical sales job. Its not your typical car sales man where you need to be aggressive. Some of the sales guy I seen in technical company are former engineers and scientist and have that laid back attitude. Try it out, don't listen to people.

If you really want to go back to school, I would say don't go for undergrad degree. Its useless. Try law school maybe especially since you have good communication skill.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:26 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Quote:
I graduated with a bachelor's in marketing in 2007 and have been trying mostly since then to get a job in Marketing. I have had no luck (no experience in the field, not even an internship). Some people say I am not outgoing enough or energetic enough for that field , despite having good communication skills. I am thinking of going back to school/changing careers but struggling to figure out what career I want.

I would like to know what you think of the job prospects in these fields and what you like and don't like about these fields:

-Engineering (electrical, mechanical, software)
-Computers (not sure what specific job title, but will consider what ever is the 'hot' job or jobs in this field)
-Architecture
-Film industry ( I live in Atlanta and supposedly the film industry is booming here but I have also heard it is VERY hard to get decent work)
-Teaching college
-Coaching (football or basketball, at the high school level)

I am a good communicator, like working in teams, can write well and I am decent at math and science and love those subjects, especially science. I am pretty laid back and not sure marketing fits my personality (I chose it as a major because I like the creativity of the field). I am pretty interested in sales too but everybody says they cannot see me as salesperson because I am not aggressive enough. Any other career suggestions you have would be welcome , as well
Do some research on "Film" degrees. I have an old friend that announced her daughter was accepted into the "Film" program at a pretty expensive out of state school. I didn't say anything BUT I did a little research and only 20% of all "film" graduates ever work in their degree. Most are barristas....

Old 07-21-2015, 03:32 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Not to dissuade you, but you will be mid 30's by the time you get another degree, and then will be "old" and have no experience.

That is going to be a huge set of hurdles to overcome.

Start doing some pro-bono marketing stuff for the local animal shelter, the local church, the local Chamber of Commerce, local summer concert series, or any other not for profit that will let you in the door. Make sure you do your finest work, and either someone will notice, or you will have a portfolio which demonstrates to potential employers that you have skills which are worth paying for.

You are a Marketing guy. That's your best shot at this stage of your life. Giddyup!~

Old 07-21-2015, 05:12 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
Quote:
I graduated with a bachelor's in marketing in 2007 and have been trying mostly since then to get a job in Marketing. I have had no luck (no experience in the field, not even an internship). Some people say I am not outgoing enough or energetic enough for that field , despite having good communication skills. I am thinking of going back to school/changing careers but struggling to figure out what career I want.

I would like to know what you think of the job prospects in these fields and what you like and don't like about these fields:

-Engineering (electrical, mechanical, software)
-Computers (not sure what specific job title, but will consider what ever is the 'hot' job or jobs in this field)
-Architecture
-Film industry ( I live in Atlanta and supposedly the film industry is booming here but I have also heard it is VERY hard to get decent work)
-Teaching college
-Coaching (football or basketball, at the high school level)

I am a good communicator, like working in teams, can write well and I am decent at math and science and love those subjects, especially science. I am pretty laid back and not sure marketing fits my personality (I chose it as a major because I like the creativity of the field). I am pretty interested in sales too but everybody says they cannot see me as salesperson because I am not aggressive enough. Any other career suggestions you have would be welcome , as well
Best prospects: engineering. I'm friends with several engineers who do very well and their teams at work are always expanding. It also doesn't take as long to become an engineer as an architect.

Worst prospects: Film. The industry is fickle, cliquey, ageist, and sexist. I've worked in entertainment. Every other job is an unpaid internship, and all it takes is a city in another state or country to increase their tax breaks and your job in America is gone.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:01 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I would advise against going back to school. Have you tried staffing company to find you marketing related job? they can get your foot in the door. Marketing is a broad field and anything from "administrative assistant" to "social media marketing" can fit into it. I know a girl who took a job in fast food restaurant & worked her way up to marketing department from there.

I would highly suggest you look in to technical sales job. Its not your typical car sales man where you need to be aggressive. Some of the sales guy I seen in technical company are former engineers and scientist and have that laid back attitude. Try it out, don't listen to people.

If you really want to go back to school, I would say don't go for undergrad degree. Its useless. Try law school maybe especially since you have good communication skill.
I have tried every strategy imaginable to get a marketing job, including networking. People who I have networked don't seem to want to help me because I have no experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
OP, I might have missed it, but what type of work have you done since you graduated? 2007 was awhile ago. What have you been working in? Have you developed any new skills over the time that can easily transfer into a new career?
I have not developed any new skills since graduation. I have been reading up and keeping up on marketing trends but thats about it. I have been doing retail and warehouse work since I graduated. My mother suggested I take a few courses in computers to gain some other skills. Been thinking of doing that. I just need to find a good online school that isn't a diploma mill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Not to dissuade you, but you will be mid 30's by the time you get another degree, and then will be "old" and have no experience.

That is going to be a huge set of hurdles to overcome.

Start doing some pro-bono marketing stuff for the local animal shelter, the local church, the local Chamber of Commerce, local summer concert series, or any other not for profit that will let you in the door. Make sure you do your finest work, and either someone will notice, or you will have a portfolio which demonstrates to potential employers that you have skills which are worth paying for.

You are a Marketing guy. That's your best shot at this stage of your life. Giddyup!~

I am already 32. Does that qualify me as old lol? I have tried going the non profit route before I moved to this city a year ago but haven't had any luck with it since I moved here.
Maybe I should try sales. Since I have graduated , 99 percent of what little interviews I have had have been sales interviews . I came close to getting an offer once. I just don't know how good I would be at it since I am an introvert. People say I have great communication skills though (written and oral)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment