Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 11:54 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times

Advertisements

Being able to live on one paycheck and banking the second paycheck each month is where it gets comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 06:42 PM

833 posts, read 1,199,274 times
You are the face of the hedonic treadmill theory.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:28 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,357,689 times
I know what you mean. It's like no matter what you make, you are always looking and comparing yourself to the next person above you (there will always be one), and thinking you should be there. My first job out of college I felt rich making 35k a year and full benefits. I came from part time jobs making $8/hr. It's all perspective I suppose,

Old 07-28-2015, 09:05 PM

78 posts, read 127,929 times
It's not that you are greedy. The problem is inflation. In 2000, you made $50,000, it is the same as $72,000 in today's $. The $70,000 you wanted back then is the same as $102,000 now. $110,000 is only 8% higher than your desired salary but You are probably married now with children so your needs are much more.

I assumed 2.5% annual inflation for my calculations.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:43 PM

98 posts, read 120,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckCA View Post
When I graduated in 2000, I was making 50,000 a year. At that time I thought if I make 70,000 a year I would be happy. Now I am making 110,000 a year and I am still not happy. Now I think if I make 130,000 a year I would be satisfied. Is anyone out there has the same problem?
I think you've grown accustomed to making $100K+ and "incremental" increases (i.e. merit raise or cost of living raises) aren't going to make you feel the same because as a %, it doesn't feel like much.

Research has shown that we'd be "happy" at $75,000; maybe if you're in California (based on your name), you might need $85,000 or $95,000 to feel the same level of happiness as someone in Montana earning $75,000... BUT, research has also shown that we tend to compare ourselves to our peers.

I suggest you look at your peer group. If you hang around peers who tend to spend large, drive expensive cars, and eat at French Laundry, then you'll feel like you're not as "successful" from a money metric standpoint. However, if you hang around peers who drive a Honda Civic and going to Chipotle is a treat, then you look very well off by comparison. We humans can get competitive and we tend to compete more intensely with close-matched peers in terms of education/earning range.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:56 PM

615 posts, read 666,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckCA View Post
When I graduated in 2000, I was making 50,000 a year. At that time I thought if I make 70,000 a year I would be happy. Now I am making 110,000 a year and I am still not happy. Now I think if I make 130,000 a year I would be satisfied. Is anyone out there has the same problem?
No, I don't have a problem boasting about my salary in public. I make myself look like an ass in other ways

Old 07-31-2015, 10:18 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times
OP, I think there's been a lot of good advice posted in response to your question. You've gotten several different perspectives on this common phenomenon.

Based on my personal experience with happiness/income/lifestyle, I wanted to highlight these posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You will never make enough to be happy.
You need to find your happiness elsewhere.
^^This is absolutely 100% true. Happiness MUST come from somewhere other than income. A higher income can certainly make life *easier* but easier does not equal happier. With complete honesty, my husband and I say: "we were happy when we were "poor", and we're happy when we're "rich", but we'd definitely choose to be rich over being poor." KWIM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Schroeder View Post
being happy is a state of mind
i was pretty happy when I made $0 and just played with Lego all day

That said a person making $50K and $110K will have structurally the same life. Car payments, food, rent or mortgage, mobile phone, etc. Maybe the $110K person can save some more money each month, or have a slightly better car. But the basic day to day living is exactly the same. In fact the $110K people are usually the most disgruntled because they have been led to believe something magically happens once they "hit six figures."

Really it doesn't change much until you get into private jet levels of wealth. The security line and $5 coca cola is the same for everyone until that point.
^^More truth. The best thing about more $$ is that it *should* give you more control over your life. More options. And options are a wonderful, wonderful thing. Since, like Dennis Schroeder said, daily life is the same, what more $$ should do is lessen the negative impact outside factors can cause (car trouble, home repairs, etc) and enhance the positive outside factors (more time/money for a hobby, eating good food, etc.) We have to be vigilant against "lifestyle creep" because our lifestyle choices shouldn't own us. But our basic daily perspective on life? That is up to us, regardless of income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I know what you mean. It's like no matter what you make, you are always looking and comparing yourself to the next person above you (there will always be one), and thinking you should be there. My first job out of college I felt rich making 35k a year and full benefits. I came from part time jobs making $8/hr. It's all perspective I suppose,
^^And this is, of course, a common issue of human nature. When something seems "better", but just out of reach, we convince ourselves we need/deserve it. It's not always a bad thing: ambitiousness and goal-setting are probably healthier than coasting. But you have to really examine what it is that next level can provide that you're not getting now. There is no "I'll be happy when..." None.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment