Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 10:28 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,418,465 times

Advertisements

Whether or not I'd share passwords is not based on whether there's anything "incriminating" there. As far as I'm concerned social media is a completely self-constructed identity that can get corrupted by whatever other self-constructed identities are connected to you. "Hearsay" evidence, at best.

Though I've heard it can be admissible in court I'd hire the best lawyer in the country to fight anyone trying to use social media against me. It is total garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 11:12 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,157,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Ding Ding!

Problem is, any company that had a policy like that would attract few good employees.
Companies don't generally advertise their unreasonable demands though. So rather than people being able to nonchalantly skip such a job post in favor of a saner company next in the listings, they get hired somewhere and then later on, somehow find themselves face to face with the policies when they're invested in having that job, and have that to lose.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:34 AM

4,571 posts, read 5,687,639 times
Exclamation Unlawful request in CA,DE,IL,MD,MI,NJ,OR

California, Delaware, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey, Oregon all have laws forbidding employers from demanding your personal "social media" passwords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
As an IT security consultant. It is recommended that firms audit their employees social media activity through internet traffic analysis software. Because a lot of hacking these days is the result of employees social media use at work. You may get something innocent like a Facebook update with a video or picture link but it has trojans and hacks embedded infects work machines. It can start with your family and friends thumbing up or sharing a link to something totally legit looking but it isn't actually safe. That's how hackers get into many companies these days. The use of social media sites and linking and sharing of hacking content.
If you log into Facebook on a work-owned network or using a work-owned machine, they can just capture your username and password if they really want them. Not legal, but trivially accomplished.

All the more reason to forbid Facebook on the work network, except for the HR drones whose job it is to troll Facebook for employees to fire.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:46 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,950,171 times
No but I mostly try to not do anything really that bad on them.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:12 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,505,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
California, Delaware, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey, Oregon all have laws forbidding employers from demanding your personal "social media" passwords.

If you log into Facebook on a work-owned network or using a work-owned machine, they can just capture your username and password if they really want them. Not legal, but trivially accomplished.

All the more reason to forbid Facebook on the work network, except for the HR drones whose job it is to troll Facebook for employees to fire.
Good reminder let's not forget those poor unlucky souls at Sony that had all their passwords capturing by corp. security and then stolen by hackers which ruined that lady at Sony because their were using company laptops/desktops/wifi/network

Old 08-12-2015, 12:14 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,505,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
As an IT security consultant. It is recommended that firms audit their employees social media activity through internet traffic analysis software.

Because a lot of hacking these days is the result of employees social media use at work. You may get something innocent like a Facebook update with a video or picture link but it has trojans and hacks embedded infects work machines.

It can start with your family and friends thumbing up or sharing a link to something totally legit looking but it isn't actually safe.

That's how hackers get into many companies these days. The use of social media sites and linking and sharing of hacking content.
Yes social engineering is a good way to hack. I get hit on my mobile apps all the time with oh check out this cute photo hyperlink inject trojan/malware into my device F**K OFF

Old 08-12-2015, 12:23 PM

2,704 posts, read 2,770,847 times
No. That's my personal space.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:50 PM

15,870 posts, read 14,517,338 times
While I have accounts, I don't post on facebook and twitter. Most of my posting is not done under my real name. So if an employer asked, I'd probably give them the PW (after changing them, and would change them again after.) They'd see nothing.

I don't get the fad of spamming your whole life out in public on social media. Nothing ever goes away, and can very well come back to bite you is the a$$.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:11 PM

804 posts, read 1,077,956 times
no problem I would close my accounts before I did that.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:04 PM

715 posts, read 1,075,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Facebook sells access to your pages to background search firms. We can use facial recognition software with a third party for instance on Facebook to find you even if your name is not listed.

For older folks meaning over 35. Myspace is great. Folks posted crap there 10-20 years ago and forgot about it but it is still there. Folks clean up facebook but forget about myspace
You're right! A couple of years ago, I got an email from Myspace saying I should come back as see what so-and-so has posted. (No one ever used their real names on MySpace). I was shocked because I thought I closed the account when I left back in 2008. After retrieving the password, I made sure to close the account was closed that time around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment