Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 07:04 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
That person better get used to working for someone else and saving for a long time if they are trying to get back on their feet.
I think the point was how does somebody with a past history of fraud and who can't do physical labor get a job working for someone else. Which nobody is answering because the answer there is also "They don't."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 07:09 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,512,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I think the point was how does somebody with a past history of fraud and who can't do physical labor get a job working for someone else. Which nobody is answering because the answer there is also "They don't."
If they get desperate enough they'll find a job. And not all jobs are physical labor.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
If they get desperate enough they'll find a job. And not all jobs are physical labor.
How desperate they are doesn't really have much to do with it. Nearly all jobs that don't require physical labor require some degree of trust. That is, the person will handle cash or merchandise or information or be around vulnerable populations (say working in a nursing home). Multiple fraud convictions will make you ineligible for that kind of work.

You basically need to keep looking until somebody gives you a job for some charitable reason of their own.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:18 AM

Maybe light industry (e.g. the sewing type jobs if some of them didn't go to Asia) or some government or church program.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:20 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,939,818 times
Churches are probably her best bet - ministries being second. Set Free ministries (out of Arizona, Texas, Colorado, not Richmond- there's more than one using that name) comes to mind immediately, but I'm sure there are more out there

Old 08-17-2015, 07:21 AM

27 posts, read 42,182 times
there must be programs/agencies that can offer help. There is a local restaurant in my city run by women with criminal records. It has gotten press and that helps them help themselves. I'm not exactly sure how it's run/operated/funded, but i'm fairly certain there are legal and legitimate ways to get back on one's feet. Salvation Army comes to mind at the moment, other organizations like that.

Best of luck to her.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:32 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Goodwill

Old 08-17-2015, 08:39 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,230,813 times
I worked in corrections and re-entry for years.
1) GED/HS Diploma/College or training is needed, if not already attained. And grants are available for ex-offenders.
2) Work Opportunity Tax Credit is a federal tax break which is available to companies that hire ex-offenders. This needs to be mentioned in interviews by the candidate. Many have never heard of it. Many states have a bonding program also, so if the ex-offender screws up on the job or takes property or money, he's bonded by the state and the employer can recoup his/her losses. Just peace of mind for the employer, really, to ease any apprehension they might have.
3) Speaking of interviews, FULL disclosure. No lying about the past or about the "have you ever been convicted of a felony" question. Sure, some people will lock the door and not hire an ex-offender, but more will hire them than won't, IF the candidate is sincere and can prove that it was a mistake and they've moved on and are looking to better their life. And on the application where it asks if they've been convicted of a felony, they should write "will discuss in interview." That will (a) help get an interview for a curious employer, and (b) give the opportunity to explain what where and when. It may not look good on paper, but in an interview it can be explained.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:18 AM

455 posts, read 388,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentessa View Post
I'm trying to help a close friend who got on the wrong path and is trying to get on the right path.

What are some options for someone who can't get a job and can't go to college either?

The person I'm trying to help can't get a job due to having a criminal record, and they can't go to college because they can't get financial aid due to tax issues.

Most people are either in school or working...those are the two traditional paths. However, for this person, neither of those options is available for the reasons cited above.

And the criminal record isn't something that most employers would overlook...it looks pretty bad (multiple charges of fraud). I know some employers like McDonald's will overlook if you have a misdemeanor charge or something, but these are felony fraud charges that even McDonald's-type employers aren't likely to overlook. So getting a job is completely off the table for a while.

On top of all of that, her credit is terrible due to the fact that she cannot work anymore and therefore can't pay any of her past credit card and other remaining bills.

And this person doesn't want to do anything even remotely illegal at this point...that means please don't suggest selling drugs or prostitution or something stupid like that.

She's currently living with friends and family, but wants to make a life for herself. But she's feeling pretty stuck.

She has been looking at gigs, but most gigs are either labor or adult work. By labor gigs, I mean labor that is meant for male applicants (e.g. moving furniture, carpentry, etc.)...she's quite thin and weak, so she's not really qualified to do the labor gigs. And she cannot do adult work (that would only further ruin her reputation and chances of gainful employment in the future).

She has literally $0 at this point.

How can a person in this situation get back on their feet?

I will relay any helpful information to the friend I'm trying to help...helpful suggestions are very much appreciated. Thank you.
I have a few questions so I'm wondering if OP left the building.

What skills does your friend have? There are plenty of entry level jobs that have high turnover and those employers are desperate. And desperation usually means they pay a bit higher. Try call centers, customer service or collections; those always have turnover.

As for the background issue, applications now have a "ban the box" law in several states that prohibit an employer from asking about previous convictions. Many employers have adopted this even if it is not required. Check your state for this.

Get a good resume and focus on what skills your friend has and avoid mentioned anything about prison. Also check with your local United Way Services, they have referral resources for returning workers and can get additional vocational training.

Not sure what college has to do with anything, you can get plenty of jobs without a degree and earn a decent living.

There are a lot of resources out there if you just pick up the phone and start asking.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:21 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Many adult criminal records may be sealed or expunged, which enables you to say "No" in many situations when you're asked about your criminal history.

Expungement or Sealing of Adult Criminal Records | Legal Information
Unfortunately, current laws require an absurd amount of time to pass without any incident for a criminal record to be sealed or expunged. The typical time to wait is about 7 years, which is, again, completely absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment