Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 11:03 AM

6 posts, read 5,519 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm new and need work place advice.

Yesterday a girl trashed the bathroom of the meeting room, it was one of two girls, but no one knows which one it was.

Today my boss is furious as we can never go back that venue as they complained.

We are a make up company and so have to practice new make up styles on one another in the meetings and then go and wash it off ect

So My boss has a new policy first we must take it off in the meeting room, which is uncomfortable and impractical, with bowls of cold water lined up, and now also we are not allowed to nip to the loo, we have to go as a group at break time and have a supervisor stand in the bathroom with us all, check the cubicle as we leave, before the next person goes in.

I am finding this really unfair and we are been treated like children!

I complained to my boss, who told me "dont like it leave" and then went into a rant about people not bothering to iron their shirts ect

Can my boss actually insist that we are only allowed to go to the loo as a group and treat us like this? Its ridiculous.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-26-2015 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: Corrected thread title for OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 11:09 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,360,784 times
I am not sure, but that may violate some kind of privacy thingie. Maybe contact OSHA...Occupational Safety and Health Act. I know they cover bathroom breaks, right to privacy, etc. Good luck. Personally your boss sounds very anal to me. Pun not intended, however, if it makes you laugh, okay. Humor is good, especially when dealing with [bleep]! Oops, I did it again, good luck to you, OP!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-26-2015 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:58 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaJay2015 View Post
Hi,

I'm new and need work place advice.

Yesterday a girl trashed the bathroom of the meeting room, it was one of two girls, but no one knows which one it was.

Today my boss is furious as we can never go back that venue as they complained.

We are a make up company and so have to practice new make up styles on one another in the meetings and then go and wash it off ect

So My boss has a new policy first we must take it off in the meeting room, which is uncomfortable and impractical, with bowls of cold water lined up, and now also we are not allowed to nip to the loo, we have to go as a group at break time and have a supervisor stand in the bathroom with us all, check the cubicle as we leave, before the next person goes in.

I am finding this really unfair and we are been treated like children!

I complained to my boss, who told me "dont like it leave" and then went into a rant about people not bothering to iron their shirts ect

Can my boss actually insist that we are only allowed to go to the loo as a group and treat us like this? Its ridiculous.
Short answer.

No.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:15 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
On a side note - I would hate to work at the same company as the pig who trashed the bathroom. Legality is one thing - but I do understand his frustration with the juvenile slob. Too bad it could not be better pin-pointed as to which one.

On another side note - why don't you guys use make-up remover pads, instead of cold water in bowls?

Old 08-26-2015, 12:32 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Don't act like children, and you won't have to be treated like children. Destroying a public washroom is hardly the activity of an adult professional.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:59 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Don't act like children, and you won't have to be treated like children. Destroying a public washroom is hardly the activity of an adult professional.
Exactly! and use makeup remover wipes.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:11 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Restriction of access to the bathroom may be an OHSA violation. Otherwise I'd take your boss's advice and quit. I wouldn't like working where there was collective punishment.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:16 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Worst comment ever. It wasn't the op that trashed the bathroom. I can't believe I have to point this out to you, but no one can control the actions of another person.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:26 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Barring bathroom breaks unless in a group? Who could possibly think this is right, legal or sane? Its not the fault of everyone one person behaved like a destructive child.

Sounds like a very dysfunctional workplace. You should look around for something new. Dont get stuck for years desling with this madness.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:30 PM

6 posts, read 5,519 times
Collective punishment! That was the term I was looking for!

My boss says it isn't a privacy violation as he is not in the stall with us, the supervisor is merely standing outside checking after each and every one of us has gone in. We are not allowed to wander off after using the bathroom, we are then all marched down for a smoking break.

He has also said that anyone needing the bathroom outside bathroom break time can apply for a pass, pregnant women ect will be given passes with sympathy and accompanied by their supervisor to and from the bathroom.

We are also now having to wait at the entrance to the building until start time, where he then opens the door and marches us up to our desks, when it is going home time we had to all form a line and then be marched out the building.

One of the girls needed to go down to front desk today to sign for a package, and he refused to let her go alone, he got us all up and marched us all down stairs together and then back up stairs in one group of 37 adults, including hr, accounts, and the companies lawyer - he looked the most baffled of us all lol. Even the maintenance guy has not escaped the madness from tomorrow he has to now wear a go pro camera linked to my bosses computer all at times.

His new mind set is that staff are to have no freedom of movement and no member of staff is to be trusted not to draw on the walls the minute he turns his back.

Its also highly time consuming way having to move as a mass to do any single task.

I stress some of us have 20 years with this company and have pensions, health plans, the job pays good and we get 6 weeks vacation time as they are a European company.

I really think he has lost his mind, he was quite normal before Monday happened.

I am also wondering how much longer this is going to go on for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment