Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 07:32 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times

Advertisements

Not your problem! Mind your own business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 08:10 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
So you say that in Russian speaking countries people usually go home at 1 pm? Interesting, as a Russian speaking engineer I'm not sure that it's the reality in those places.

You can say a lot about the Russians here in USA. Yes, some of them are not politically correct, yes, some of them can be a little bit rude.
But they are not running to the boss like a rat, snitching on people and getting them fired.
No, I am not saying that. It sounds like a typical internet thing where things are being wrongfully inferred. And not sure what snitching had to do with anything.

The simple fact of the matter is, typical things can work differently when you cross cultural boundaries, and just like how one needs to adapt to new work environments, sometimes folks may bring their own norms to the table (which may or may not be right). I don't know how Russians do things.

I have heard on occasion that when working in Chinese owned environments, you're 'expected' to come in earlier than the boss, and leave only after he does to show that you're serious and working hard. An American I talked with worked in Japan for a bit. He heard a rumor that they tend to stay as long as the new guy. He tested this one day, staying until 9pm. Everyone else did the same too! However, it wasn't something he did again, as he's really screwing with folks who have families, or otherwise have errands and chore to get to!

Old 09-15-2015, 08:18 AM

771 posts, read 1,459,777 times
As long as she isn't your employee and her hours don't impact you personally, what's your issue?

Now, if you end up having to take over some of her work because she isn't able to finish it on time, that is something you definitely need to take to your manager.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:28 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousinAz View Post

Any advice for me on how to deal with this? This is making me very resentful. I spin my wheels rescheduling meetings. I just can't stand how unfair this is. I have been working for this company for 8 years, and I am non-exempt.
Mind your own business. Life sucks sometimes.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:57 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,400 times
I hear you. I agree, it is a MYOB situation, but it is very hard to watch when you're on the same team. It truly can become a morale issue.

I used to have one on my team and it drove me crazy. I didn't say anything to anyone, but it was hard to watch her blithely coming in at 11 AM everyday and then leaving at 4 when everyone else was in by 7 and heads-down swamped all day. There were a couple of meetings that were scheduled specifically for her benefit where vendor contacts came from out of town and she would waltz in 2 hours after the meeting had started. It was mind-boggling.

Anyway, she was moved to another team a couple of years ago and so is someone else's problem now. It amazes me that she is still here, frankly, especially as most of staff that I have worked with at this company in the ten years I've been here is stellar. She is the one exception that I can think of since I've worked here.

ETA: Well, now that I think about it, there was one other exception that I came across, but he was fired, so maybe doesn't count.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:59 AM

296 posts, read 319,325 times
You need to mind your own business.

People think I leave early because I leave at 2:30PM, but that's because I get in 5:30AM while they're still asleep. Not my fault you want to roll in at 9AM and are jealous because my day is over. My manager has approved my schedule, and that's all that matters.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:18 AM

761 posts, read 832,966 times
Geez, I hate a snitch, too.

How much time is wasted watching the other guy and not doing your own work?
Unless the person has been written up or talked to about it, who cares?

Old 09-16-2015, 06:38 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,521,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousinAz View Post
I work with a salaried employee that starts work at 6:45 am and leaves at 10:45 at least once a week and leaves by 1 or 2pm the rest of the week. She is from Russia and is 44 years old and is also very abrupt with employees and with me. She was moved recently next to my cubicle about 5 months ago, so I am just now noticing her not working. She complains constanly about working in a cubicle that I have I finally told her I don't mind her venting (but I do) but she should talk to our boss as I couldn't do anything for her. I don't think she has actually worked a 40 hour week.

Our director is aware of her behavior. He may not know she leaves early often. However, he takes off often and rarely works on Fridays. He is always late to work and meetings. He tried to get her to take a class to help her behavior but she said she had a dentist appointment.

Any advice for me on how to deal with this? This is making me very resentful. I spin my wheels rescheduling meetings. I just can't stand how unfair this is. I have been working for this company for 8 years, and I am non-exempt.
Not your business. Maybe she works remotely, maybe she has approval, maybe she gets her work done and that's all that matters, maybe she has a medical accommodation, maybe she's not a full-time employee, maybe she's an Executive's family member . . . it really doesn't matter. If her complaining bothers you, politely let her know that you don't have time to talk because you have to do . . . whatever. Eventually she'll get the point. If she can't make a meeting, she can't make a meeting. Life will go on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment