Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 01:09 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
No technically she cannot use it since she is not addressed in the email.
Whether she can use it or not, is a decision only her employer can make. Remember, it belongs to them, not the OP. The fact that she was able to access the email, may be due to her company authorizing it and gave her the ability to access it either giving her the OP password, or allowing her to bypass the need for it. The fact that the company has accepted the email from her as part of the complaint against the OP, indicates they have accepted it for consideration against the OP.

Too many are hearing the OP side of things, or what he wants his side to be. There are two sides to this, and you do not know what the real story is.

A woman, accessed the OP's email, and has involved it in a complaint that has the OP worried. So worried he is looking for a legal way to keep the company from using that email against him. Good luck on that as the company owns the computer, the server, the email system and thus owns that particular email.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 03:19 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
showing up at HR with a copy of an email you got by using somebody else's password is a far, far bigger problem than saying something that bad about a co-worker on email. ... The OP may be a bad situation, but it is hardly Russian Roulette. The person who hacked the OPs account is in much greater danger and the one creating a problem.
What inside information are you privy to regarding the specific accusation against the OP? Unless you've personally seen the email, it seems to me you cannot have any reasonable basis for concluding that the accusation supported by the email is more or less grievous than accessing someone else's email (though a means, incidentally, not definitively disclosed).

If we're guessing about the details of the scenario outlined in the OP (which is what it seems to me that you've done) I think it more likely that when the OP said that the other worker "logged onto" their email that what really happened is that the OP neglected to lock their workstation, and perhaps therefore violated a far more important data security rule (safeguarding company data from any random person who may walk by, i.e., perhaps a visitor) than one employee accessing another employee's data.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:23 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I think it more likely that when the OP said that the other worker "logged onto" their email that what really happened is that the OP neglected to lock their workstation, and perhaps therefore violated a far more important data security rule (safeguarding company data from any random person who may walk by, i.e., perhaps a visitor) than one employee accessing another employee's data.
What inside information do you have on that?

The OP specifically denies it in considerable detail.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:29 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,993 times
It's interesting that there has been no follow up e-mail from the op since their original post.
Considerable response with various questions & comments have been addressed to him here. But without any more follow up from him, we don't know a lot of important details that would make a better reading & interpretation of his situation & possible outcome likely.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:28 AM

3 posts, read 23,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
SO the person used your password and logged in as you in order to get access to the e-mail? How did they get your password? That would have been a violation of company rules at any company where I have worked or maintained servers (for 20+ years). Every company I have been with has had rules that you do not log in as someone else without their permission (and even that is discouraged, if you need access on a regular basis there are better ways). There have also been rules about password security. So if you have an easily guessed password, have not changed your password regularly, or done something else that compromises your password (written it on a sticky under your keyboard) you may have contributed to the problem.

I hope you have changed your password

Hi thanks for this information. I called It and they said she would of had to of known my password to of gained access. I have no idea how she got my password as i did not need to write it down as I knew it!

Old 09-17-2015, 10:31 AM

3 posts, read 23,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
It's interesting that there has been no follow up e-mail from the op since their original post.
Considerable response with various questions & comments have been addressed to him here. But without any more follow up from him, we don't know a lot of important details that would make a better reading & interpretation of his situation & possible outcome likely.
Sorry for the delay i have had all the stress to sort out that goes with this situation. The op has been repremanded and has been suspended as a result of illegally gaining access to my emails!
Good outcome

Old 09-17-2015, 10:55 AM
bUU

Quote:
Quote:
I think it more likely that
What inside information do you have on that?
I said it was likely, not that it was the case. That is the most likely scenario based on my experience in compliance assessment. Even in the OP's latest message, there is still no real evidence that the access did not occur via the most common way people get other people's email at work, by accessing it when the user walked away from their workstation without locking it.

Quote:
The OP specifically denies it in considerable detail.
You must be reading a different account of a different incident. Nothing about the OP is detailed. Furthermore, none of it is corroborated. The OP's follow-up messages also don't provide definitive details.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:05 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Furthermore, none of it is corroborated.
Unlike the rest of the stuff here?

Old 09-17-2015, 11:08 AM
bUU

So what you seem to be implying is that it is more likely that someone magically gained access without having any way of getting the password, and without company providing access, rather than that the user walked away from their workstation without locking it. Interesting.

Okay I think this thread is done now.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:15 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,103 times
Wouldnt she have to had your password? That sharing desks and computers doesnt sound too private and can see how problems could show up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment