Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 04:43 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
It's not surprising, companies don't want the cost and liability of having a traditional full time worker anymore. As for gigs like uber, Once you factor in gas, wear and tear, depreciation, and the amount of hours it takes to do car rides and deliveries, the pay isn't that great. You will probably need to rely on government programs like obamacare instead of paid benefits. With no pension or matching 401k you will end up relying on social security a lot more when retirement comes along.
I agree with you on Uber, but more and more companies, (especially small ones), are doing away with paid vacation, 401k's, and even health insurance citing they are too costly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 07:27 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
It's just the way it is. Traditional employment is a thing of the past. Also, let's be honest, "traditional employment" isn't really traditional, it's only been around since the mid-20th century.
True - historically most people have lived off the land or been enslaved by others. Not a good measuring stick.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:46 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
I agree with you on Uber, but more and more companies, (especially small ones), are doing away with paid vacation, 401k's, and even health insurance citing they are too costly

Especially as the government is apparently more than willing to subsidize what the employers won't cover. Just look at Walmart's workforce.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:46 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
As an independent IT contractor, the economy is setup right now to benefit the big companies. However as independent I don't get benefits but I get to dictate the limits and scope of my services. I don't have to bend over for free. Which is why companies are so interested in bringing over H1B1 foreign immigrant workers who are willing to work for lower cost and bend over to their wishes. Fortunately for me, no H1B1 could replace my work yet. They have tried and failed miserably. You can't replace experience with youth and training.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:34 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
As an independent IT contractor, the economy is setup right now to benefit the big companies. However as independent I don't get benefits but I get to dictate the limits and scope of my services. I don't have to bend over for free. Which is why companies are so interested in bringing over H1B1 foreign immigrant workers who are willing to work for lower cost and bend over to their wishes. Fortunately for me, no H1B1 could replace my work yet. They have tried and failed miserably. You can't replace experience with youth and training.
Honestly it's not even really about the salary as much as it is tying that person to the particular employer.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:21 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,485,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Americans shift away from traditional jobs: study

This is really illuminating, and I don't think the shift is largely voluntary.
Definitely not..........

All new sales guys I know without degrees/any any bad marks on employment..........1099 commission only BS sales jobs.

I will wait for some that have done well with 100% commission only but when you are trying to sell a $800k deal that takes 9-12 months to close good luck making it and having the money saved to live off of for 9 months.

Everyone I know in IT with any blemish/over 40 is having a very hard time getting a tech sales job with livable base salary and then they have to fight their employer for their commissions........because their customers are large business that are buying are struggling and some don't pay on time.

I don't know a single person that has a great W-2 job that they like not one............everyone hates their jobs hates them and is just lucky to have a ****ty job. They lie and talk PC talk but when you really talk to them they can't stand their jobs making 80k working 60 hours a week and on weekends sometimes ( OT exempt management )

But I am sure some Friday CD cheerleader is going to tell me how I am the exception and everyone including them loves their jobs.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:26 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,485,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
It's not surprising, companies don't want the cost and liability of having a traditional full time worker anymore. As for gigs like uber, Once you factor in gas, wear and tear, depreciation, and the amount of hours it takes to do car rides and deliveries, the pay isn't that great. You will probably need to rely on government programs like obamacare instead of paid benefits. With no pension or matching 401k you will end up relying on social security a lot more when retirement comes along.
Uber pay is a joke factoring in costs and most know that but can't do better.....one of my old laid off co worker said it's a low paid grind he's 53

YEARLY EARNINGS
Only 2% earned more than $75,000 in 2014. Nearly 6 out of 10 drivers earned less than $10,000 in driving income in 2014. (This survey also included Lyft drivers). see sherpashare.com2014 in review: The top 6 rideshare driver trends

plus you can't drive an old car with Uber has to be newer so there's another potential cost

Old 10-02-2015, 07:04 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Uber pay is a joke factoring in costs and most know that but can't do better.....one of my old laid off co worker said it's a low paid grind he's 53

YEARLY EARNINGS
Only 2% earned more than $75,000 in 2014. Nearly 6 out of 10 drivers earned less than $10,000 in driving income in 2014. (This survey also included Lyft drivers). see sherpashare.com2014 in review: The top 6 rideshare driver trends

plus you can't drive an old car with Uber has to be newer so there's another potential cost
Not to mention wear and tear on car the biggest expense since a car is close to 40k now. And it is much harder to get credit, qualify for a mortgage or rent an apartment if you are not a traditional w2 employee.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:05 AM

21,868 posts, read 25,161,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This isn't a good bus to be on, nor is it preferable to traditional employment for most folks involved.
I think it is and generally, all things considered, find it preferable to traditional employment. That's why I'm on the bus. If you don't, there's nothing keeping you on it. Or just move to a different seat. There's a lot of seats as it's a very diverse bus. Not long ago I ran into a perfusionist, which sounded like a pretty cool gig. He'd been both an employee and in the gig economy. Gig economy paid more but involved a lot of travel, which more or less sums up my experience as well. Small field, more hospitals than perfusionists so all but the largest don't use employees and rely on giggers.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:51 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,002 times
If it's a highly skilled position with a high payout it's not so bad. Driving for Uber, like working at McDonalds or any local paying job is always going to be crap if you're trying to make a career out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment