Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 10:05 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times

Advertisements

Where I work, it seems frequent for people internally to berate each other, make other coworkers feel stupid, making everything "urgent," and making an internal employee liable in front of a customer if something goes wrong. If something goes wrong, it's not seen as an organizational problem, but rather "John Smith's" offense. It's completely toxic.

Do you work where employees are constantly chewing each other out and assigning liability?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 10:12 AM

45,435 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Where I work, it seems frequent for people internally to berate each other, make other coworkers feel stupid, making everything "urgent," and making an internal employee liable in front of a customer if something goes wrong. If something goes wrong, it's not seen as an organizational problem, but rather "John Smith's" offense. It's completely toxic.

Do you work where employees are constantly chewing each other out and assigning liability?

I taught for 32 years so yes, for much of that time. It depended on the competence of the administration and the management style they used. Most wanted the teachers at each others throats and complaining about other staff.

A few of us refused to play the game.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:36 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
I'm at a customer site for a very large company and managers frequently berate each other because they're all have immunity. Nobody can fire each other so they can only sound off about the incompetance of different groups or workers especially when the places are made of 70% contractors. It's like a game show, one day the groups berate another group's contractors the next day those contractors are fired and new ones show up and they gotta be like tour guides and show the new contractors how to do their jobs and the cycle repeats itself weekly.

Nothing gets done so the employees facilitates a dysfunctional process over and over because corporate America loves killing jobs and replacing them with temp workers.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:18 AM

114 posts, read 266,559 times
As best as you can, be thoughtful, polite, and well-spoken. Never speak an ill-word of any of your fellow workers.

That will make you rise above the fray, and hopefully be promoted out of the quagmire.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:56 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,125,079 times
I worked at a job like that. The best thing to do is to find another job if you don't have the opportunity to exclude yourself from the toxic environment.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:59 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,370,668 times
In a large organization, every employee seems to have a particular game that they like to play, some dirty stunt that they pull on their coworkers, repeatedly. It could be a gift for shifting their workload off onto someone else, maybe they avoid accountability somehow, maybe they like to steal credit for other colleagues' work, etc.

But when one particular "game" becomes entrenched in a workplace, like this blame-game that you see happening, that tells me that there's a deeply rooted problem here, that's at the organizational level. The management needs to recognize this and step up and do something about it. Mind you, I also bet that management is part of the problem and "sets the tone" by accepting the behaviour. Or even participating. Sad but it's a higher-level issue.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:28 AM

45,435 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
In a large organization, every employee seems to have a particular game that they like to play, some dirty stunt that they pull on their coworkers, repeatedly. It could be a gift for shifting their workload off onto someone else, maybe they avoid accountability somehow, maybe they like to steal credit for other colleagues' work, etc.

But when one particular "game" becomes entrenched in a workplace, like this blame-game that you see happening, that tells me that there's a deeply rooted problem here, that's at the organizational level. The management needs to recognize this and step up and do something about it. Mind you, I also bet that management is part of the problem and "sets the tone" by accepting the behaviour. Or even participating. Sad but it's a higher-level issue.

I was going to add this but you included it.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:50 AM

325 posts, read 337,199 times
At my place, we had a co-worker who was lazy, frequently gets injured at work, always berating and yelling at me and several others for no real good reason. There were several complaints about him. When he got in a fight with someone, I have heard he got fired and he was gone. Thank God he's gone. Now I am having to deal with someone who thinks he's the boss when he's not, and I recently told him to shut up. He said, "Don't tell me to shut up, I know I am right."

Old 10-09-2015, 01:19 PM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post

These problems definitely go up to a higher level of management who has not made clear the constant blame game is unacceptable. We fight with each other far, far more than with customers.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:32 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

Yup. It's exhausting sometimes to constantly have to cover my ass and check my back for stab marks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment