Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 07:47 AM

40 posts, read 48,280 times

Advertisements

This is just a casual observation. But it is prominent enough to topic. There seems to be an inordinate amount of berating by so many Chicagoans toward the states of Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, etc. The most oddball relationship is with Wisconsin. MOD EDItT Realize there are those thousands of people originally FROM Wisconsin or even still live there who help Chicago's or Illinois' struggling economy too, and often every single day, not just on weekends in summer!

Last edited by linicx; 11-03-2011 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: Inflamatory remarks

Old 10-31-2011, 08:28 AM

928 posts, read 1,714,439 times
Because they're so terrible.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:36 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
I've always noticed the opposite, except maybe with Indiana. Most people like going up to Michigan or Wisconsin, but the people in those states hate having Chicagoans come with all their traffic, etc. People do make fun of Indiana though, mostly because the northwest sections of Indiana can be a little sketchy in areas. Michigan and Wisconsin almost always have positive things said about them though. I've never noticed any superiority of Chicagoans towards the rest of the midwest anywhere near what people who don't live in this area assume there would be.

I'm from Iowa, been here 10 years now. Basically Iowa isn't even on anyone's radar in Chicago.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:48 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,885,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicas4rabbits View Post
This is just a casual observation. But it is prominent enough to topic. There seems to be an inordinate amount of berating by so many Chicagoans toward the states of Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, etc. The most oddball and abusive relationship is with Wisconsin. There is almost like an inferior superior dynamic thing going on, but you would kinda expect the inferiority to come from Wisconsin more, but I see many Chicagoans exhibit inferiority traits, even about places like St Louis??! It seems that there is a lot of unprovoked hatred toward the neighbors and a lot of patronizing behavior, and you would think with the amount of time, energy, and money they spend in those other states, especially upper Wisconsin and Michigan, that Chicagoans could find better things to say about these places without sounding like douchnozzles. Realize there are those thousands of people originally FROM Wisconsin or even still live there who help Chicago's or Illinois' struggling economy too, and often every single day, not just on weekends in summer!
You mean, like this?

The Midwest, as Viewed by Chicagoans. - Imgur

Old 10-31-2011, 08:50 AM

928 posts, read 1,714,439 times
I love everything about that picture, and am saving it for future reference.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:53 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,885,505 times
I would love any enlightenment re: "Won't shut up about their hands." What's that referring to? Hunting? Blue collar labor?

Old 10-31-2011, 09:04 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,258,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I would love any enlightenment re: "Won't shut up about their hands." What's that referring to? Hunting? Blue collar labor?
No - It's whenever you ask someone from Michigan where they're from, they instantaneously throw up their left paw and point out their origins on their hand.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:05 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
For the record, I think most of the St. Louis hate stems more from the Cards/Cubs rivalry than anything else. When I lived in Chicago there were certainly a fair share of folks who thought I'd "crawled out of the sewer that is Missouri" or something, but just as many who actually liked the town. My old boss and his partner have, for years, been dreaming of buying one the painted lady Victorian homes in Lafayette Square.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:05 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,516,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicas4rabbits View Post
This is just a casual observation. But it is prominent enough to topic. There seems to be an inordinate amount of berating by so many Chicagoans toward the states of Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, etc. The most oddball and abusive relationship is with Wisconsin. There is almost like an inferior superior dynamic thing going on, but you would kinda expect the inferiority to come from Wisconsin more, but I see many Chicagoans exhibit inferiority traits, even about places like St Louis??! It seems that there is a lot of unprovoked hatred toward the neighbors and a lot of patronizing behavior, and you would think with the amount of time, energy, and money they spend in those other states, especially upper Wisconsin and Michigan, that Chicagoans could find better things to say about these places without sounding like douchnozzles. Realize there are those thousands of people originally FROM Wisconsin or even still live there who help Chicago's or Illinois' struggling economy too, and often every single day, not just on weekends in summer!
All i have to say is Agreed 10000%.
As we saw with other cities when you isolate yourself from the surrouding region bad things are coming.

Also Chi-Town Native that picture was downright hilarious. I need to save that cause that made my day

Old 10-31-2011, 09:14 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
For the record, I think most of the St. Louis hate stems more from the Cards/Cubs rivalry than anything else. When I lived in Chicago there were certainly a fair share of folks who thought I'd "crawled out of the sewer that is Missouri" or something, but just as many who actually liked the town. My old boss and his partner have, for years, been dreaming of buying one the painted lady Victorian homes in Lafayette Square.
I'd definitely agree with that. I have friends who really trash talk St. Louis, but they're trashing the Cardinals, not the city. We go there every once in awhile for a weekend and everyone has a good time. I think that's normal anywhere in the country with sports teams.

I like getting away to Indy, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Madison and into Michigan a few times a year. Most of my friends are the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago