Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 09:16 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times

Advertisements

I've seen folks who take their work home. It seems to partially defeat the purpose of having an $80K to $170K salary when you're working 60 to 85 hours a week, but it does pay the bills, shows dedication, and gets stuff done. Some will eventually leave these positions so they can spend more time at home, with the kids, or just so they can simply unwind better from work.

Me, I never take my work home. For the most part, there isn't much I can do while I'm at home. Plus, I've only had one job where I was assigned a laptop. All other times... desktops. I didn't bother checking if I had the option to mess around with VPNs.
I have came in early, left late, or come in on weekends to get stuff done, such as when I felt like I was behind, or I'm "in the zone" and would rather finish something up rather than break my rhythm and line of thought when coming back to it later.

Ran into a government employee who had a flexible schedule about these things too... sometimes, she leaves after 5 to 6 hours on the job. Other times, she comes in on weekends b/c she needs that extra time to figure stuff out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 06:12 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,424 times
I'm a therapist and I leave 95% of my work at work.

I work with eating disorders and there's an app my clients use to log their meals, feelings, thoughts, behaviors etc..

The only thing I check after hours or on weekends are those patient logs.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:24 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Nope, my personality won't let me leave work at work. If something is bugging me, I'm going to be thinking about it. So to that extent, I don't leave work at work. But the opposite is also true. I've spent a good part of my work hours dealing or thinking of my "personal" matters.

In essence, I have responsibilities at both work and home. I believe I'm managing them appropriately, but they are certainly not compartmentalized from each other.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:40 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Before Time View Post
Do you leave work at work or do you always take work home?
What is your profession and is it easy to leave work and forget about it at the end of the day?
I only log on from home if:

A.) I'm working from home that day.

B.) We're doing a release to production.

That's it.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:35 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I've seen folks who take their work home. It seems to partially defeat the purpose of having an $80K to $170K salary when you're working 60 to 85 hours a week, but it does pay the bills, shows dedication, and gets stuff done. Some will eventually leave these positions so they can spend more time at home, with the kids, or just so they can simply unwind better from work.

Me, I never take my work home. For the most part, there isn't much I can do while I'm at home. Plus, I've only had one job where I was assigned a laptop. All other times... desktops. I didn't bother checking if I had the option to mess around with VPNs.
I have came in early, left late, or come in on weekends to get stuff done, such as when I felt like I was behind, or I'm "in the zone" and would rather finish something up rather than break my rhythm and line of thought when coming back to it later.

Ran into a government employee who had a flexible schedule about these things too... sometimes, she leaves after 5 to 6 hours on the job. Other times, she comes in on weekends b/c she needs that extra time to figure stuff out.
I only make about $60k and it's just ridiculous for me to be even checking my email from home. My team is the lowest team on the totem pole in our division and probably lowest paid, yet we all check emails like we are executives.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:43 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,821 times
As a teacher, it's hard to not live the job. Weeknights, weekends, and holidays, it manages to intrude. The comment about having a higher salary but it being being diluted by putting in more hours rings very true. It's almost impossible to leave the job at the job.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:06 AM

5,674 posts, read 5,885,028 times
Just the occasional "How was work today dear?" but thats it. I dont discuss work at home, but my wife has paperwork that has to be turned in the next morning, and is often too hectic for her to do at the patients house, and since most of it involves government detail, she has to be very careful on it. (She does get paid extra for doing it.)

Old 10-19-2015, 10:07 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
One of my bosses told me his motto is ," Leave work at work and home at home, neither one should share the same time with one another,"
Home worries interfere with work/performance, and work concerns distract your attentions for things at home .
People at work have no business in your business at home and vise versa.
Many co workers would not be your friends otherwise, if you only met/passed in a mall.
And people confuse these relationships create greater problems.
Being married to a spouse is one thing ,being married to a job is like leading a double life, and we are all forced to do it.
Unless you self employed or retired or on welfare.
The real stress is when both the company and home have a crisis at the same time. now your force to decide which gets the attention, the company that supplies your income to support the home, or the home ,you reason for having a job?
My wife never understood my problem at the end of the day being both physically and mentally exhausted , until she had to work her self.
People fail to understand the difficulties others face until they themselves experience the same struggles.
It is difficult to separate home from work ,but it is necessary ,just to maintain sanity, that is if you have any left to begin with.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:23 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post

Depending on the type of job. In many cases, you are paid for the results you bring rather than the time you spent. So to break everything down to an hourly basis may not be accurate. More specifically, you're not making 170K to be at work for 60 hours. You're getting 170K to handle certain roles/responsibilities. Regardless if you took 30 hours that week or 90 hours that week to do so.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:45 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Years ago I did. Now I know better to enjoy my life outside the walls of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment