Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 01:50 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,709,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXL7 View Post
It eats me up watching people's faces when I tell them I am a customer service representative.
The problem is with these people, not with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 02:23 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Some years ago I took a job selling computers for Dell. It was a very lucrative job, but the working conditions were horrible. I easily doubled the median income in my area, and was showered with bonuses, software and equipment giveaways. The pay was great, the management sucked. We finally parted company when my mother-in-law died and they wouldn't give me more than the 3 day bereavement leave to be with my wife, even though I had weeks of vacation built up.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:54 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
sometimes im a business broker/consultant or a marketing consultant

id say you are a sales manager or sales consultant, of a multi million dollar company

if its someone annoying and you want them to leave,,,, tell them you are a butcher ...oversee the killing floor

Old 10-24-2015, 04:04 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,036,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXL7 View Post
I've read a lot online that employers see customer service as a good skill, but I'm having a hard time buying that. I'll certainly continue to do well at my current role. It isn't a challenge really. I feel as though there will only be lateral moves available in the next few years and that really won't help me in the long run at all.
They do see it as a very valuable skill. Unfortunately, they don't pay for it.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:33 PM

6 posts, read 4,793 times
It’s hard to pick up at a new job- and you have had to do it multiple times. I think you are good at customer services but can be Better at IT because you are passionate about it. It sounds like you are driven and from My experience in customer service-detail oriented as well. I feel you have a lot of good qualities, and you are definitely doing good work but you have to communicate to them that this is only the beginning for the company because your expertise is IT- based on your education. Really outline for them how much the company would benefit from allowing you to work in their IT dept.

Kinda like,

If you think I’m good at _______, just wait until you see _______________!

Old 10-24-2015, 08:00 PM

3 posts, read 2,093 times
I'll give you my opinion. I think your wife needs to put any future work opportunities on hold until you can get yourself established in the IT field... 5 years minimum. You got your foundation in schooling now you need to start applying that to build your experience or you may find technology outpacing your viability in the field. You know the saying, "use it or lose it."

While you're in your current job, keep looking and don't stop until you can land something. Get your profile up on LinkedIn and maybe try to scope out some freelancing jobs on elance.com or upwork.com. Stackoverflow.com can also help you identify where the industry going. Keep an eye out for job fairs or conferences where you can network. It sounds like whatever job you take you give your employer 110% and any employer would be lucky to have you.

Have you tried applying at your state, county, or city government agencies? Or even surrounding cities/counties within commuting distance? Even if they're not a big high tech company, most will have an IT infrastructure and most will offer competitive pay, great benefits, continuing education assistance, and most importantly, stability.

Best of luck to you!

Old 10-25-2015, 04:57 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,614,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Because they aren't "Living Wage" don't you know?
Who's fault is that?

Your fault for keep electing these a-holes who have no respect for people who WORK. For not having unions protecting you, and for having "right to work" states! Dumbest thing on the planet.

Change it.

"Complacency" never changed anything. Take a stand, defend what's yours. You WORK, you have to GET PAID. End of story.

Old 10-25-2015, 04:59 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,614,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape_from_california View Post
I'll give you my opinion. I think your wife needs to put any future work opportunities on hold until you can get yourself established in the IT field...
Dumbest/WORST advice ever!

No, absolutely not. It is 100 times harder for women to return to work for a menial job, let alone a career. If you are that obsessed with her and her opportunities, then get a divorce and don't ruin her life.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:12 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stackoverflow View Post
Your "help desk/IT support" idea is good, try as hard a you can to get that moving (as you said, get some certifications, courses, etc.)

In any case don't stay complacent or you may start resenting your wife for "ruining your career".

While some people would say there's nothing to be ashamed for a middle-aged white male to work on a call center, I'm 100 % with you on feeling a bit embarrassed and hiding your current job to friends and acquaintances. I'm gonna be a jerk here: that kind of job is for a recent brown immigrant, or a women who is planning to be a housewife and is just waiting for her wedding day or ultimately a student working his/her way in university.

Sorry if I am being too harsh.
Wow. Just wow. Truer words were never spoken, and they were spoken from your own mouth. In one sentence you covered the sexism angle, the racism angle, and bashing OP's job. Good work Anyway OP, do you enjoy your job? Regardless of what you do, you should be proud of your performance. If a person is so shallow as to judge you based on what you do, he/she is the person with the problem, not you. The fact that you are doing exceptionally well at it speaks volumes about your work ethic. I know from experience. I worked at a call center and it was the most stressful job I ever had. I don't care if a person works at McDonald's or anything considered "menial." If he/she does their job well and enjoys it, that's what matters. I have also learned that every job has its difficult aspects, and oftentimes so called menial jobs are actually the hardest ones of all.

My ex-gf worked for a trash company sorting the garbage before it was compacted and went into the landfill. She loved the job and wasn't embarrassed to admit she worked for Waste Management. She liked it because it involved physical activity, being in the fresh air, was pretty mindless, and she got great benefits as a city employee. Sometimes people asked her why she wasn't embarrassed to admit having that job. She told them, "Why would I be embarrassed to admit I work hard for my money like most people do?" That shut them up pretty quickly.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:55 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,959,732 times
Most males will feel like a failure if their wife is the provider and making a lot of money, and they are working a small-time job. Society teaches males to be the provider and in-charge of the household, or else they are a deadbeat. And it is somewhat unusual for the woman to be the one moving the family around, accepting promotions and raises.

My advice to you... get over it. There's nothing wrong with the wife making all of the money and being more successful. Keep taking jobs where you can to increase the family income, and when you land a job that's more successful than hers, you can be in charge of where you relocate. I have a friend who recently quit his job to be a stay-at-home dad because his wife became an anesthesiologist. He mows yards to pass the time. I envy him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment